RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Why are Truck Campers so expensive?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Why are Truck Campers so expensive?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev
Sponsored By:
BradW

Mayor of Flat Rock

View Profile

Posted: 02/20/12 04:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Butch50 wrote:

I've never toured Lance but I have Arctic Fox, Eagle Cap (when it was built in La Grande, OR) and the Okanagan factory in BC. All of them were line built campers. They build the bottom upside down then turn it over onto a wheeled dolly that can be moved down the line.

That is basically how Lance builds their campers. We tourned their old factory in North Hollywood; they had two assembly lines running.

Brad

Wake Up America
1996 Lance 500 and 2006 F-350 PSD 4X4 DRW
Our Truck Camper Photos

DWeikert

York, PA

View Profile

Posted: 02/20/12 05:29pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BradW wrote:

Butch50 wrote:

I've never toured Lance but I have Arctic Fox, Eagle Cap (when it was built in La Grande, OR) and the Okanagan factory in BC. All of them were line built campers. They build the bottom upside down then turn it over onto a wheeled dolly that can be moved down the line.

That is basically how Lance builds their campers. We tourned their old factory in North Hollywood; they had two assembly lines running.

Brad

Same for Northstar. They had two lines. One building their popups, the other hardsides. They run a batch of a particular model then change over to a different model and build a batch of those.

IMHO, the price difference is primarily labor. With most other RV's you have a frame you build walls on then just install cabinets and appliances. With a TC, at least with Northstars, the wood forming the cabinets is also part of the structural integrity. Just more labor intensive to build. Besides, I agree with gerrym51, I thought my Northstar was reasonably priced especially considering the customizations Rex just said 'No problem' to when I asked for them.

Dan
2008 Chevy D/A 2500HD ECSB
2010 Northstar 8.5 Adventurer

Mello Mike

Mesa, AZ

View Profile

Posted: 02/20/12 08:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This has been a very interesting thread. Great responses.

2011 Wolf Creek 850N/Polar Cub/240w Solar/2-6v Lifeline AGMs/Morningstar Sunsaver PWM CC
2013 Dodge Ram 3500 4x4/6.7L CTD/3.42/Big Wig SB/Torklift TDs w/Fastguns
2011 Jeep Compass w/4x4 Package
US Navy Ret.
My Truck Camper Adventures

iwon415

Northern California

View Profile

Posted: 02/21/12 07:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

1stgenfarmboy wrote:

One thing i know is you will pay $20k more than the nicest TC for a new Cadillac and in 3 years it's worth way way less than 1/2 what you paid plus if you take a poop in it it's a stinky ride for the rest of the trip.

Darwin

Thats funny right there!!

1stgenfarmboy

Southern tip of ILL

View Profile

Posted: 02/21/12 10:03am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One thing i know is you will pay $20k more than the nicest TC for a new Cadillac and in 3 years it's worth way way less than 1/2 what you paid plus if you take a poop in it it's a stinky ride for the rest of the trip.

Darwin

1993 Dodge cummins crankin out some torque,
2003 Lance 1071 loaded to the hilt

skyhammer

NW CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/20/12 05:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Host pretty much builds their campers one at a time. The frame is made is a seperate part of the building, then moved to the final assembly area.
The slides are put together by their cabinet maker, who installs the most of the componets such as the cabinets, range, oven, sink, counter tops, couch, etc.
Each worker has his area of responsibility, such as electrical, plumbing, slide installation, roof, etc.
Here are a few pictures I took of an Everest being built.
The dinete slide.

The floor is in, as well as most of the plumbing and the electrical in the basement.

Slide opening.

2011 Host Everest, 11.5',triple slide.
2011 F-350,DRW,CC,LWB,4X4,6.7

CaBigfoot

California

View Profile

Posted: 02/22/12 10:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bigfoot has been at the center of many great experiences. Highly recommended and yes, the posts are true: "quality-quality-quality". Construction and functionality, no detail neglected.

2003 F-550 TD 4x4 Custom Conversion
2004 BIGFOOT 10.11SL

XLAX

Pasadena

View Profile

Posted: 02/24/12 03:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I bought my first TC in the '60's. It cost less than $1500 new OTD. That same camper today would cost $15,000. But you couldn't find that camper today...it would be considered too primative, too inadequate. Thus, that same camper, in proper trim and tech, costs $30,000. Same story with the truck that carries it. Simply the dynamics of inlation at work at every level. Much easier to revist a '60's trailer and be happy, than revisit a '60's truck camper. Or, a '90's truck camper, for that matter.

"Why do truck campers cost so much? because they aren't your grandfather's Oldsmobile."

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Why are Truck Campers so expensive?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS