|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> infrared thermometer

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
wcjeep

Tacoma, Wa

View Profile

Posted: 02/18/12 07:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We Cant Wait wrote:

bear in mind that temps on one side might be up to 10 degrees or more different from the other side. Factors, 1 side of trl heavier then the other, i.e. refer side, also which side of the trl is the sun on while driving down the road. I've seen the sun side be up to 20 degrees higher then the shade side, so another way to figure is if both tires on the same side are within 5 degrees of each other your ok.

Agreed. Check for variance. Also use for hvac, ground temp for dogs pads and anything automotive that moves/rotates.

Gene&Ginny

North Kingstown, RI

View Profile

Posted: 02/18/12 07:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We Cant Wait wrote:

bear in mind that temps on one side might be up to 10 degrees or more different from the other side. Factors, 1 side of trl heavier then the other, i.e. refer side, also which side of the trl is the sun on while driving down the road. I've seen the sun side be up to 20 degrees higher then the shade side, so another way to figure is if both tires on the same side are within 5 degrees of each other your ok.
I noticed that on mine one HOT sunny day heading North to go camping. Funny thing was, going home, South, the other side was the warmer side (about 5 degrees).

I usually see about 110 degrees on the hubs with my little Harbor Freight tool. Don't know how acurate it is but as long as I get the same reading every time I know things are good.

Gene and DW Ginny
2008 Toyota 4Runner 4.7L V8 w/factory towing option
2002 Sunline Solaris Lite T2363

Reese Dual Cam Straight Line HP Sway Control
Proud member of the Sunline Club

Dusty R

Charlotte Michigan 48813

View Profile

Posted: 02/19/12 07:33am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I rented a tandem trailer once. I found after driving a long ways I found that one tire was 30* hotter than the other 3. Tire pressure was 65 lb. on 3 and 35 lb. one the hot one.

Dusty

Don & Linda

Western PA / Cape Cod

View Profile

Posted: 02/19/12 06:09am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

skipnchar wrote:

I have no idea but if I put my hand on the hub and it's very much more than the ambient temp I assume there is a problem.

I too use a palm sensor. Was taught if tire/hub is too hot to comfortably hold your hand on. Then it's in need of attention prior to running at highway speeds again. So I guess 120°f would be about the max.

Sorry if this post seems long, I lacked the time to make it shorter.
almost quote from S.L. Clemens

Don & Linda

1st RV UL EMS 4s Dome
2nd RV 21' AMF Scamper TT PV D300 Dodge
3rd RV National Seabreeze 133LX w/Demco Dolly
4th RV Jayco 2450 5TH PV Ford F-250 SD

down home

south

View Profile

Posted: 02/19/12 10:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I use one from Sears of about 5 yrs ago. If tire temp is 20 degrees different on the same side I use a gauge. Right inside rear always seems to be 20 degrees warmer than others. Side in sunlight may be 20 degrees warmer than the other side or so it seems.

ExRocketScientist

Laurel, MD

View Profile

Posted: 02/19/12 07:24am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I use one of these, and like said, you are looking for a difference. I have actually found that difference and a problem. I had a bearing too tight and brake adjusted a little too tight. It was about 40 degrees out and my hubs were running around 110, except for one that was running, IIRC somewhere around 165. Three of the drums, IIRC were around 115. The one was running somewhere over 150. This also made the tire run about 15 degrees higher than the other 3.

ERS

ryanallie1

Magalia, Calif

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/20/12 09:54am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi All.

Very well done and said RV'ers. We have had ours for quite few years now. And beside all of the answers that have already been given, you can keep finding uses for them. Here is just another one or two. You can check around your doors and windows, for heat loss or cold air entering by the Temp Readings. You can do this in your RV and in your Home also. Want to find drafts in your RV or Home, "NO Problem". The number of uses for one, is only limited to your own thinking. Its a Great Tool to have and to use for so many things, and they don't cost all that much either. When we installed the "Drak Limo Tinting" on our Motorhome Windows, it told us exactely how much Temp Differance there was between the Tinting on a Window, and a window wihtout the Tinting. I could just keep going on and on, about how many uses that you can get with one of these. We never travel without ours. And I use ours often in the houuse for projects that I do also. "Get One", they are for sure worth the price. Good Luck. Happy Travels. Dan & Jill

1998-33.5 Rexhall, Rexair SL. 460 EFI. F-53. 7.3 MPG. TST TPMS. HWH Levelers. 5.5G Gen. Convection/Microwave Water Purifier/Water Softner. 2 A/C's. Alarm Systems. Honda EU2000i's W/Kit. Steer-Safe. CR-V W/SMI System. FMCA #F414397 Nam-Vet, 66-67-68&70-71

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> infrared thermometer
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS