|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Installing A Domestic Refrigerator

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
lonnie4801

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 02/18/12 12:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I know some have upgraded your RV refrigerators with domestic refrigerators. I am seriously considering it for my 2007 Holiday Ambassador. If you have done so could you please share with me the following information:

1. What make and model did you install?
2. Will it run on a modified sine wave inverter?

Thanks

Our Travels Lonnie and Sue
2007 HR Ambassador 40'
2008 Colorado Z71 4x4 Crew Cab
West Texas, Retired

Fulltimers. No more grass to cut, no more leaves to rake, and can move if we don't like our neighbors.

States we spent time in, drive throughs not marked.

enblethen

Moses Lake, WA

View Profile

Posted: 02/18/12 01:26pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What is the make and model of the one you want to replace? That would help on knowing what size of Dometic you would be able to fit your opening.
An '07 really shouldn't need a new unit. What is wrong with the one you have?

Bud
USAF Retired
Suzuki XL7 pushing Pace Arrow

lonnie4801

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 02/18/12 03:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

To docj - Thanks for the reply. I have been looking at the Samsung but as of yet have not found anything that will fit.

To enblethen - I asked a very specific question. If you don't have anything to contribute pleae mess up someone else's post and leave mine alone.

ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 02/18/12 04:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Any traditional fridge will run off a MSW but the motors will run hotter than with a PSW. Whether this shortens the life of it or not remains to be seen.

Scott, Grace and Wesly
2003 Dodge 3500 4x4, 6 speed Cummins (lightly bombed),
2004 Forest River 25RKS many, many mods.
POS H0NDA eu2000i

sailor_lou

Connecticut

View Profile

Posted: 02/18/12 01:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Samsung response is interesting in that they discuss the power supply being rectified, which is typical for the electronic circuits, but say nothing about the compressor and/or fan motor. I would doubt they are DC motors, but really do not know. This is not to say the refer will not operate properly with a MSW source, but I'm not sure they completely answered the question.

In any case, I will most likely follow your lead and do a similar swap if my Dometic fails. Thanks for the model number.

Lou
05 Travel Supreme Envoy

docj

Fulltime--Home is where we park it

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/18/12 01:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Many of the people who have installed residential refrigerators, including us, have used Samsung's because the company has publicly stated that they will run on a modified sine wave inverter: Samsung Q&A That's not to say that other brands can't be used but it's nice to know the manufacturer doesn't object.

We used the model RF197 which is a counter-depth French door model with the freezer on the bottom. It is the same width as the 12 cu ft Norcold (the 4 door model), but it does require about 6-8 inches more vertical clearance. Because it is counter depth it doesn't project into the room any more than the old one did.

We're thrilled with the conversion and consider it the best improvement we have made to the MH--more space and the ice cream stays frozen.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/braking system
WiFiRanger Ambassador/RVParkReviews administrator
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

othertonka

Stockton, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/18/12 04:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

enblethen wrote:

What is the make and model of the one you want to replace? That would help on knowing what size of Dometic you would be able to fit your opening.
An '07 really shouldn't need a new unit. What is wrong with the one you have?

I almost made the same mistake that you did. The Poster was asking about a "DOMESTIC" household refer not a Dometic RV refer

Othertonka
2004 Southwind 32VS 8.1 Workhorse chassis
2002 CRV Toad
U. S. Gear Unified brake system
Retired Fire Captain, SFD

enblethen

Moses Lake, WA

View Profile

Posted: 02/18/12 04:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I miss read the post.
No need to go off.

JFC

Northern California

View Profile

Posted: 02/18/12 05:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Had a Dometic in our 2007 Scepter. Ice maker never worked well, and unit started performing poorly on electric. Had it replaced with 19.7 cu ft Samsung at Oregon MotorCoach Center last October. Works great, love it.

docj

Fulltime--Home is where we park it

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/18/12 04:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

sailor_lou wrote:

The Samsung response is interesting in that they discuss the power supply being rectified, which is typical for the electronic circuits, but say nothing about the compressor and/or fan motor. I would doubt they are DC motors, but really do not know. This is not to say the refer will not operate properly with a MSW source, but I'm not sure they completely answered the question.

The question asked of Samsung in that Q&A was:

Will your electronically controlled refrigerators such as RF197ACRS run properly on 120VAC 60hz MSW(Modified Sine Wave) electricity?

I assume that if something works "properly" both its electronics and its motors would perform acceptably. If Samsung wanted to caveat that they could have or they could have removed this Q&A if they had other concerns.

About 6 months ago they did put a caveat on another answer about use in an RV and they pointed out that the fridge is rated at a total starting current of ~11A. They state that an inverter needs to be able to handle the starting current, but they didn't retract the overall approval statement.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Installing A Domestic Refrigerator
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS