RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Birdwatching in Latin America along the Pan American Highway

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Lifestyle

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Lifestyle

> Birdwatching in Latin America along the Pan American Highway

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
Sothamericatraveler

albuquerque, new mexico, USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/18/12 05:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Some of the content of the following is an excerpt from my unfinished travelblog. Recently I traveled from the USA (before from Alaska) to the tip of Argentina and I have "almost got my wings" to become a full eagle birdwatcher, but not limited to only birds.

RVing or "Caravaning" travel produces the MOST MEMORABLE MIND BOGGELING IMPRESSIONS OF ANY TYPE OF TOURISM!! As you travel (living every moment as you go down the highway) it is difficult to realize you are really here (or there, as you will think afterwards). It is truly LIVING THE ADVENTURE.

This feeling is not possible in any other form of travel. You actually eat, sleep, breath, with the Panagonian wind in your face! You can conveniently pull off the road, stop in the middle of a smalll "somebody's home town" ... and in minutes, be a part of the community- amazing.

Anyone that can, should take this type of LIFE EXPERIENCE! On a previous trip, one of my fellow travelers was 89 years old, and did fine. Another was in his twenties and blended in great. There is no age limit, only the limits you put on yourself. Of course, you must be able to drive, and have the "adventure" in you heart to do it - but believe me - if you wait long enough, you won't be able to do it! That's a fact!

As to what to see - EVERYTHING.

BIRDING - With a capital "B" - all imaginable type of birds:

Penguins - 5 different species.

Flamingos - 2 different shades of pink (and these were located in the cold area of Argentina.

Storks - Many different types of this large bird, mostly in Uruguay and Argent.

Guaquamayas (Macaws)- all different colors in the tropical areas.

Parrots,- over 30 varieties from parakees to large green/black ones.

Eagles - Again all through the trip from Mexico to Argentina

Frigata Bird - mostly south of Panama, one of the most unusual

Hawks - almost all through the trek

Reas (ostrich-like) - simular to the emu - all over Pantagonia

woodpeckers - The most beautiful we saw in Columbia, a red carpenter one.

Lest pigmy owl - This little guy actually flew into the motorhome and knocked himself out, but he was ok, after recovering....held him and took photos.

Large owls - in Central and South AMerica.

Black and other swans - most in Uruguay

Ducks - Throughout the trip, even at the tip in Ushuaia National Park

Hummingbirds - from 2 1/2 ' to the large brazilian on that is about 8+" with a long flowing tail...looked like a mini-quetzal bird!

and so many more note: I am not a birdwatcher, that's what I said before, I guess I am now, you can't help being...also the photos of the birds and other animals all over!

One of the highways we traveled was named "Carreterra de los parajos" ( Highway of the Birds) and the birds were criscrossing the highway for about 100 miles, thousands of parrots.

I wanted all RVers to know, that their RV is a FIRST HAND TOOL TO SEE THE BIRDS OF THE WORLD.... cameras, binnoculars, and patience ...you too can do it!

I've got some good pictures, but could not see a way to post them here

LindaAnn

Columbus MS

View Profile

Posted: 02/22/12 06:41am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Very interesting post--I would love to see the pictures! I can't get the hang of posting pictures here either.

Sothamericatraveler

View Profile

Posted: 02/22/12 09:59am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't know if maybe I can put a "link" to some of the pictures or not. I have about 5 times the number of sightings "pictured" mentally, of all the times my camera was not handy!!! The birding world of this trip is really incredible!!!!!!!!!

Sothamericatraveler

View Profile

Posted: 02/22/12 08:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Is there a Birding Group within the RV community? Maybe, there is some information they can share with me on the southern birds? I know I encounter many birders that travel in RVs.

krisfelix19

Dublin, Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/12 05:33am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That is so true about RVing being a great way to see birds. Thanks for the encouragement.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Lifestyle

> Birdwatching in Latin America along the Pan American Highway
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Lifestyle

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS