|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Slide Toppers

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
Tripalot

Golden Horseshoe, Ont. Canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/18/12 06:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have a motorhome with a full wall slide. While travelling to Florida this year, wind managed to destroy our slide topper. It has now been replaced but while walking around the campground, I noticed that most M.H.'s have slide toppers, while the majority of 5th wheels do not. How come? A slide is a slide - why don't all slides have a slide topper on them to prevent debris from getting in the mechanism when it is retracted etc.

2014 Triple E Regency GT24MB (Murphy Bed) with all the good stuff
Toyota Highlander tow car with Remco lube pump
Berkley, the amazing camping cat missed dearly (1996-2012)

old guy

Oregon (pronounced Or e gun)

View Profile

Posted: 02/18/12 06:27pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

$$$$$ is more than likely the reason

square dancers

Santo, Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/18/12 10:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Slide toppers are mainly to keep the rain and leaves, etc, from entering your RV from the top of the slide. I don't know of any RV's that have any mechanism on the top of the slide? I don't see any value to investing in a slide topper, I take a broom or foxtail brush and clean off the top from time to time and always before I bring the sides in for travel. You should be more concerned with your bedroom slide if it retracts under your bed. People store all kinds of things under there that can jam up the slide travel and if you have an electric motor retraction system that can really mess up the gearing.

Most RV slides are deeper than the motorhome slides and when the side is extended the topper flaps in the wind so you have to invest in flap tensioners and install and remove them before you operate the slides, I have even seen people make a tee-bar out of PVC to keep tension on the topper to prevent it from flapping.

Bill-Edna
The Boys-Beau & Jacques

2008 F450 DRW 6.4 Diesel SDCC
2008 Fuzion 373 39' Toyhauler

Keep the Shiney Side Up
Dull Side Down
Don't Smoke The Tires
Stop and smell all the roses as you travel this Great Country.

shenandoahvalley

Shenandoah Valley, Virginia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/19/12 05:59am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our TT came with toppers on both slides. At first I was excited to have them but after two weeks I am having second thoughts...the dang things make a lot of noise in heavy wind and the one on the big slide collects water during heavy rain so I will have to rig up something to keep the flap down and the water off. I think I liked it better when I just went up a ladder and cleaned the slides prior to retracting them.

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 02/19/12 06:59am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would imagine it all comes down to cost. Look at the price difference between motor homes and 5th wheels.

I hadn't considered it but, as mentioned, the depth of the slide is considerably less on the motor home.

Personally I wouldn't be without them.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Nomadac

Columbus, IN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/19/12 10:46am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our MH came without them when purchased. We camped one year to see if we wanted them. The next year we installed them, as I got tired of climbing up on the roof to sweep off leaves, branches, and water that remained on the slide, etc. If you don't remove any standing water, when you close the slide it will roll down the sides into the RV. Our do not flap in the wind, and if water does pool on the topper it will roll off when the slide is closed and not into the MH.

I would not be without them.

Arnie
2003 Travel Supreme MH
38KSO1 Cummins ISC 350HP
2004 Honda Pilot w/SMI Air Force One Brake Sys.
1963 Pontiac Grand Prix 20' Enclosed Car Trailer

Us out West

Let's see...last night we stayed in......

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/21/12 10:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Would not be w/o them.

Those that don't have them really wish they did.

Our Trip Journal

2012 Jayco Pinnacle (View)

36 KitchenPantryTripleSlide
MorRyde pin box and suspension, Curt Q24, Dual Pane windows, Auto Levelers, 2 AC's,and more.

2009 Silverado 3500HD 4X4 (View)
CC, Dura-Max 6.6/Allison,LB ,DRW,Amer. Tank 65 gal. Aux Fuel

Tripalot

Golden Horseshoe, Ont. Canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/21/12 04:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

shenandoahvalley wrote:

Our TT came with toppers on both slides. At first I was excited to have them but after two weeks I am having second thoughts...the dang things make a lot of noise in heavy wind and the one on the big slide collects water during heavy rain so I will have to rig up something to keep the flap down and the water off. I think I liked it better when I just went up a ladder and cleaned the slides prior to retracting them.

I would guess that perhaps they are not tensioned properly. We had our replaced last Saturday and had very strong winds for 2 days/nights. We didn't hear any flapping at all. Also, ours has a center ridge pole that forces rain off the slide topper and prevents puddling.

bikendan

Napa, Cal.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/21/12 05:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

we have a topper on our 12' slideout and we wouldn't be without it.
and never had any flapping or looseness issues.

we made the mistake of not getting one installed before we picked up the trailer. after 1 year of camping, we took it to CW to get one.

Dan- Firefighter, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP), 2007 Chevrolet Avalanche LS, 2007 Rockwood Roo 23SS w/Equalizer and Prodigy, and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

oldbeek

lancaster CA

View Profile

Posted: 02/21/12 09:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My alpenlite has a nice slope on the slide, Water runs right off. It is air tight. The roof is r-11 insulation and I live and camp on the desert. Debries has never been an issue. IF camping under trees in sever winds, I check for limbs befor I slide in. I have seen a few leaves on top of slide when it is retracted but no big deal. 18 yrs used 88,000 miles, NO slide topper NO problems. Don't think a quality rig needs them.

1994 27sl Alpenlite, 2001 Dodge Cummins auto 3.54 stock

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Slide Toppers
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS