RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: Best way to break tempered glass?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Best way to break tempered glass?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
kplender

Denver

View Profile

Posted: 02/18/12 06:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have the dreaded "fogged window" problem on my 1997 Bounder. Unfortunately, it is the driver side window and is impairing vision through the rear view mirror. I am going to simply break one of the panes in the double pane window and clean up the fogging. My question is, what do you think would be the best way to do this without breaking both panes. I read that someone tried to drill through a pane and it broke to pieces and that worked. I thought about simply using a hammer and an awl and gently strike it until the glass shatters. Anyway, just looking for feedback and suggestions. Thanks in advance!!

1997 Bounder 36S on F53
2009 Hyundai Accent Toad

rjstractor

Auburn, WA

View Profile

Posted: 02/18/12 06:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

An adjustable spring loaded center punch should do the trick. Start on the lowest setting and work up until the glass shatters.

old guy

Oregon (pronounced Or e gun)

View Profile

Posted: 02/18/12 06:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

you might want to duck tape the glass so you won't have glass pieces all over the place and wind up cutting your self

rockhillmanor

On the Road

View Profile

Posted: 02/18/12 06:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Get a ResQme. It will do the job on that window for you easily and quickly!!

They sell them at almost all truck stops or you can order it on line.
http://saveyourlife.us/ResQMe.html
I have one on every key chain for every vehicle I own.

"We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us".

PHE

USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/18/12 06:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

old guy wrote:

you might want to duck tape the glass so you won't have glass pieces all over the place and wind up cutting your self

Tempered glass doesn't break into pointed, dagger like shards - it usually brakes into small pieces maybe 1/2 to 1 inch in size - no the danger like standard window glass like in your non-movable home (S/B)

phe

sunkatcher

Fulltimer

View Profile

Posted: 02/18/12 07:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

STOP!!!!!!! Don’t break the glass. The track that it slides in is made for double pane and once you break one pane it will never seal again. I had a 1996 Bounder with the exact same problem on both side windows and it was hard to see the rear view mirror. What helped with my problem I tried two different methods.
1) I slid open the window and drilled the metal separator between the two pains close to the top and then at the bottom. With a lot of work I removed the metal shim and used a pad on a piece of shim to try and clean the inside of the glass. Didn’t help much trying to clean but the fog did go away and I was able to see again.
2) On the passenger side I went outside and drilled a ¼” hole up through the frame and in between the double panes. This allowed the moisture between the glass the dry out and was just as successful as method #1.
It will never be like new but it should allow you to see your mirror again by allowing the window to breath.
Good luck
Ron

masa4u.com

Jagtech

Sunny Southern Alberta, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 02/18/12 08:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Would it be possible to inject a small amount of desiccant, such as silica gel, through the newly-drilled holes before re-sealing them? That should absorb any new moisture in the future.

1998 Triple E F53 with 460 Ford
1995 Jeep Wrangler toad

sunkatcher

Fulltimer

View Profile

Posted: 02/18/12 08:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The real problem is the moisture has already etched the glass, unless you air it out real quick it has a perminant hazy stain.

bluwtr49

Green Valley, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/18/12 07:26pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Why not just have a glass shop replace the window??

Dick

2000 40" DP Beaver Patriot Thunder Cat C-12 425 HP, 1550 Tq
2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland ---toad

missscarlet9

Saskatchewan

View Profile

Posted: 02/18/12 07:27pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

sunkatcher wrote:

STOP!!!!!!! Don’t break the glass. The track that it slides in is made for double pane and once you break one pane it will never seal again. I had a 1996 Bounder with the exact same problem on both side windows and it was hard to see the rear view mirror. What helped with my problem I tried two different methods.
1) I slid open the window and drilled the metal separator between the two pains close to the top and then at the bottom. With a lot of work I removed the metal shim and used a pad on a piece of shim to try and clean the inside of the glass. Didn’t help much trying to clean but the fog did go away and I was able to see again.
2) On the passenger side I went outside and drilled a ¼” hole up through the frame and in between the double panes. This allowed the moisture between the glass the dry out and was just as successful as method #1.
It will never be like new but it should allow you to see your mirror again by allowing the window to breath.
Good luck
Ron

x2. I had a buddy with the same issue. I gave gim a hand and drilled 2 - 3/32 holes between the panes as you suggested. We drilled one hole up high and one down low. We then used compressed air @ 20 psi and blew air into the lower hole. It took less than 10 minutes to clear the fog. We then put a small blob of silicone on each to seal the holes. It's likely it'll have to be done again, but it'll be easy to peel the silicone and do it again.

* This post was edited 02/18/12 07:58pm by missscarlet9 *

Livin' the dream!

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Best way to break tempered glass?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size: