RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: Anyone hearing of Ecoboost problems..?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Anyone hearing of Ecoboost problems..?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 13  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
hmknightnc

Wilmington, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/18/12 09:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JPEC wrote:

I'm really skeptical still about the 3.5. As for the comments about the 6.2 not being a good TV,I thought this too (not that I've changed my mind) but I saw the tq numbers and it has got a real good curve it seems, and at 2500rpm iirc it was like 375 or so tq. The thing that I'm curious about is that if the 6.2 is equipped with the 3.42 ratio rear like the 5.3 it actually is rated lower than the 5.3L (9500 and 9400 iirc) I would prefer max towpackage, which only has 6.2, and figured with the power curves it "should" have more towing power. Although the salesman I spoke to today (we went and tried a sierra 5.3) claimed the 5.3 and I quote "easily get 30mpg on the highway running on all 8 cyl, it would be much better when it dropped to 4, but they couldn't include that on the rating" I laughed out loud literally..I like the 5.3 but seriously

I have 2 Tahoes with the 5.3L. An '05 with 4 speed and 3.73, it gets 19 mpg highway/8mpg towing 6k# and an '11 with 6 speed and 3.42, it gets around 22 mpg highway don't tow with it

Goo

Near Here 43.480359,-80.574828

View Profile

Posted: 02/18/12 09:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hey neighbour! I struggled with the same thing (almost). For me, I REALLY liked the 5.0, but I also wanted (needed) the Max Tow , so I ordered the 3.5 (from Expressway in New Hamburg). I can let you know in a few months how its working out. If I wasn't Ford A-Plan eligible, I think I would have gone with the Tundra CrewMax, but that's another story. As far as reliability goes, I think there's a LOT more happy 3.5 owners out there than not. Seriously though, if you're considering the 5.3 GM, don't discount the Ford 5.0. I'll know in a few months (or years) if I made the right choice.

Good Luck!

08 Trail Cruiser TC26QBH
2012 F150 FX4 Screw MaxTow
03 4Runner Limited V8 (SOLD *sniff*)
Wife
2 Kids
Dog

hmknightnc

Wilmington, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/18/12 10:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

To NewsW:

I like your mathematically approach and I am 100% sure your calculations will work out correctly. I was simply responding to the generic claim that hard use of a gas engine shortens it's lifespan. I think your own mathematically analysis disproves your first claim.

BTW that 60,000 miles towing was done primarily at above 3600 rpm (wouldn't stay in 4th at highway speed with trailer), clearly not 100% power probably more in the range of 70% power IRC the power curve. Since that engine now has almost 5000 hours on it and 160k miles running like new with no work on the engine at all except normal maintenance (even still has original spark plugs) I am more than a little suspicious that that hard use for 60k miles actually broke in the motor better and has extended its life

JPEC

Cambridge, ON

View Profile

Posted: 02/18/12 10:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Goo wrote:

Hey neighbour! I struggled with the same thing (almost). For me, I REALLY liked the 5.0, but I also wanted (needed) the Max Tow , so I ordered the 3.5 (from Expressway in New Hamburg). I can let you know in a few months how its working out. If I wasn't Ford A-Plan eligible, I think I would have gone with the Tundra CrewMax, but that's another story. As far as reliability goes, I think there's a LOT more happy 3.5 owners out there than not. Seriously though, if you're considering the 5.3 GM, don't discount the Ford 5.0. I'll know in a few months (or years) if I made the right choice.

Good Luck!

Thats funny, I have the "Toyota plan" but have been asking buddys about getting the friends and family discount on a ford, one guy used to work in windsor but took a buy out, = no discount for me..

Jamie & Paula

275BH Dutchmen Sport
2012 F150 XLT, Max Tow, Ecoboost

Texas Jim S

Belton, TX

View Profile

Posted: 02/18/12 10:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JPEC, did you notice that only two people were qualified to answer your question. One said he was very happy with his and the other said he hasn't had his long enough to know yet. I wonder why the others wrote in?

Seamutt

Prince George BC Canada

View Profile

Posted: 02/18/12 10:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I now a couple of my sons friend with the 3.5 and they ***** about the awful mileage they get with a grin on their faces. Can't keep their foot out of it.

JPEC

Cambridge, ON

View Profile

Posted: 02/18/12 10:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Texas Jim S wrote:

JPEC, did you notice that only two people were qualified to answer your question. One said he was very happy with his and the other said he hasn't had his long enough to know yet. I wonder why the others wrote in?

Well there is no WRONG opinion of course, it is better to hear real experience but with something as new as this it would take time to get a lot of direct experience, so gotta listen to the things people are hearing, because really that's the same way we hear good things about them too.

My question is though, I've heard and read people saying the 6.2 is not good for towing, I ask why not? Someone once said cuz its aluminum, but, so are the 3.5 and 5.7. I'm just wondering what is the legitimate reason, as I haven't heard one yet. I have my doubts as well, but I would never say its bad cause I don't know.

Tundra might not be my first choice however I have heard a lot of good reviews about how it works in regards to towing, and not one negative yet. The only negative I've read was some guy calaiming they basically rust and fall apart, but haven't heard of any of the owners I know saying that. I know a lot of guys with them, but they are still quite new maybe 3 years at most.

Turtle n Peeps

California

View Profile

Posted: 02/18/12 11:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Texas Jim S wrote:

LOL, why are only owners "qualified" to answer?

Why did I write in? Because many of my friends are techs and work at dealerships. Because I work on Fords every single weekend when we race.

But then again I must not know anything about them because I don't own them.

~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

Turtle n Peeps

California

View Profile

Posted: 02/18/12 11:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

My question is though, I've heard and read people saying the 6.2 is not good for towing, I ask why not? Someone once said cuz its aluminum, but, so are the 3.5 and 5.7. I'm just wondering what is the legitimate reason, as I haven't heard one yet. I have my doubts as well, but I would never say its bad cause I don't know.

Because the blocks are about as thin and light as a beer can.

Talk to people that build them for a living and see what they tell you. I have and they tell me the blocks line bore crawls around like a snake under heavy use. These engines are not made for a heavy duty cycle. I'm not saying they are a bad engine. They just were not designed for hot and heavy towing. Don't take my word for it, ask or talk to the experts and they will tell you the same thing I have just told you.

Terryallan

Foothills NC

View Profile

Posted: 02/18/12 11:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mike Up wrote:

That is why most turbo vehicle aren't recommended to tow.

Not to be silly. But you do know that every diesel out there has a turbo on it don't you, and that with out it, they are pretty much useless.

Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
04 F150, 5.4, Lariat SuperCab
Lazy Campers

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 13  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Anyone hearing of Ecoboost problems..?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS