|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> LED VS LCD televisions

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
wagonmaster2

northcentral oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 02/18/12 09:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm needing a new TV, probably about a 32", and am confused between a LED and a LCD. Reading on the Internet I've found it doesn't make much difference on that size whether it's 1080p or 720p but not sure if it's worth $50-$100 extra to go up to the LED, if one can be found.

Also, been trying to read some reviews to decide which brand has the best performance and repair history but every web site seems to have different comments. Just enough to really be confusing.

Any suggestions on the LED vs the LCD?

Wagonmaster2

ernestfortier

Palmdale, Calif.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/18/12 09:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just bought a 32" Westinghouse LED TV for $199.00 + tax. Best Buy and Target had it for that price. Couldn't resist buying it for that price. Installed it in my MH.

Ernie Fortier
99 Bounder 34V
2 honda 2K paralled (for economy)
5.5 Onan onboard
96 Geo Tracker 4x4 Auto. convertable

MrWizard

Traveling

View Profile

Posted: 02/18/12 11:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

LED is the 'back lighting'
the TV display screen is LCD
all LCD TV's must have lighting behind the LCD panel
they used to use florescent lighting
LED lighting uses less power and creates more evenly disbursed light and higher contrast ( blacks are blacker, whites are brighter )

the new THIN tv's use LED edge mounted lighting
it means the LEDS are mounted on the edges and fiber optics carry the light behind the LCD display panel, that's how the mfg's make them thinner and lighter

Options, always have options, and the journey goes much smoother

Connected thru Verizon with HotSpot WiFi using a Samsung Galaxy Nexus

SooperDaddy

Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 02/18/12 10:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Some Sharp, Toshiba, Hitachi and some Sony Bravia LCD TV's are still Made in Japan. Those brands are also some of the higher rated TV's and least prone to repair per a "major consumer magazine".

LED TV's are thinner, lighter and use less energy, have the color saturation and picture quality nearly as good as a Plasma TV...but less money and the plasma's tend to wash out in bright light due to the glass screen.

We bought inexpensive Westinghouse LED/LCD TV's on a whim for our kids at Costco as the price was right and it had a Costco 2 year warranty. No problems in 2 years now and supurb color!

My posts shouldn't be taken for factual data, and are purely fictional, for entertainment purposes, should not be constituted as related to scientific, technical, engineering, legal, religious, spiritual, or practical advice. After all it's FREE! Amen.

dobbler98

Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 02/18/12 09:29pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I read the other day the Samsung advertising department dreamed up the LED marketing concept. LCD is LED the article stated. What you need to watch for is the old style LCD with side lights versus the new style (labeled LED) which has lines of lights solid across the screen with a much better clarity and brightness.

1993 Minnie Winnie
Class C 24'
Chevy 350
Usually pulling one of my toys

dan-nickie

Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/19/12 06:42am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Probably not much difference in picture quality.
LED uses less power and easier to operate on a small inverter.
It also may be lighter which made a differnce to me for mounting.

What I looked for when I got mine recently was a thin border around the picture.
Made for a smaller overall size with the same size picture.

Dan and Nickie

Ivylog

Blairsville, GA and WPB, FL.

View Profile

Posted: 02/19/12 08:25am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I went with a 40" LED because it was only 1 1/2" thick making it easy to mount on the face of the cabnet were I had a energy hog 32" plasma. Here is my post on this install with more info on the TV and energy savings. After a month of use I can report I'm very happy with the LED TV as it runs very cool, unlike the plasma which was very hot with a screen temp of 120 degrees. Even with the Plasma turned off it drew more amps than the LED when turned on.

This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.

04 Monaco Dynasty 42' quad slide
Where am I?
How I tow.

vermilye

Oswego, NY, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/19/12 09:46am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

PAIRAJAYS wrote:

Just wondering, why are folks concerned about power consumption? Is there enough difference in operating cost that really matters? I winter in Yuma AZ. The electrical is, if i remember correctly, 14 cents per KWH which is relatively high. I have a plasma TV and I doubt if i would see a significant difference in my power bill if I switched to LED. And, it adds a small amount of heat which is necessary during the winter months same as light bulbs. If you are in an RV park and electrical cost is included in your daily rate, who cares?

Jim E
Because some people boondock & try to limit wattage.

Jon Vermilye Travel & Photo Web Pages ... My Collection of RV Blogs & Journals
My Travel Journal - Jon's Journeys
Lake McDonald, Glacier National Park, MT

PAIRAJAYS

Washingston State

View Profile

Posted: 02/19/12 09:30am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just wondering, why are folks concerned about power consumption? Is there enough difference in operating cost that really matters? I winter in Yuma AZ. The electrical is, if i remember correctly, 14 cents per KWH which is relatively high. I have a plasma TV and I doubt if i would see a significant difference in my power bill if I switched to LED. And, it adds a small amount of heat which is necessary during the winter months same as light bulbs. If you are in an RV park and electrical cost is included in your daily rate, who cares?

Jim E

camperpaul

Wherever I park my travel trailer

View Profile

Posted: 02/19/12 08:09am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Look for one that that uses an external power brick.

Read the specs on the power brick; if it says 12VDC output, you can run the set directly from the house battery without an inverter.

Paul
Extra Class Ham Radio operator - K9ERG (since 1956)
Retired Electronics Engineer and Antenna Designer
Was a campground host at IBSP (2006-2010) - now retired.
Single - Full-timer
2005 Four Winds 29Q
2011 2500HD 6.0L GMC Denali (Gasser)

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> LED VS LCD televisions
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts