|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> Starting to think about dual cam sway control

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
jerem0621

Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 02/18/12 10:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Last year this forum got me to change from time based brake controllers to proportional brake controllers. The change was like night and day for me. I feel like me and my family are much safer now while towing.

I originally towed with no form of sway control and a badly set up hitch. I got the hitch set up right and added a single friction sway bar. Night and day difference. The rig felt much more stable. The push and pull from passing vehicles was more of an annoyance than a white knuckled experience. I ordered two friction sway bars since my hitch head has a double friction sway bar mount.

So I added the second bar, there was a difference and the connection felt even more secure while towing.

Currently I am as good as it gets with a standard wd hitch and friction sway control. I thought that my only option for any additional control was to buy a new hitch, which financially doesn't mAke sense because I feel very much in control and very secure with my current sway control.

However, this year we are going to be putting a lot of miles on the TT, I am thinking at least 2000 plus.

Something in the back of my mind says get the dual cam. I was fine until I found out I could retrofit my Husky trunnion wd hitch with the Reese Dual Cam sway control part number 26001. I have found a few sources for this thanks to another forum member.

The price ranges from 200-300$ for this kit.

I am seriously tempted to buy it, but am afraid (not scared afraid, but more like I wasted my money afraid) that I will not notice any difference while towing.

Y'all helped me see the light on brake controllers. Can ya help me again on dual cam? Is it really worth it? Can you feel a real difference over a properly set up wd hitch with dual friction sway control?

Thanks!

2014 Chrysler Town And Country
3.6 Pentastar V6

"It's Kind of Fun To Do The Impossible"
~Walt Disney~

SooperDaddy

Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 02/18/12 10:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Take it from a guy with almost 25 years to TT towing all over the USA...who was hanging upside down with my family inside our Expedition after a rollover accident while towing a 30' TT...waiting for the sirens to get closer.

We were not speeding, the hitch was set up properly, had a friction sway control, no wind, daylight on the Freeway. A "hump and bump" on an overpass (that's what the Firemen and CHP Officer called it)got us!

The friction sway control only is a "band-aid" fix for sway issues. A false sence of security.

The dual cam system is worth every penny you pay for it. We went to a 5th wheel after our "incident", but if we ever return to a TT it will be with a minimum of the dual cam system. Keep your family safer.

My posts shouldn't be taken for factual data, and are purely fictional, for entertainment purposes, should not be constituted as related to scientific, technical, engineering, legal, religious, spiritual, or practical advice. After all it's FREE! Amen.

jerem0621

Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 02/18/12 11:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fordsooperdooty wrote:

Take it from a guy with almost 25 years to TT towing all over the USA...who was hanging upside down with my family inside our Expedition after a rollover accident while towing a 30' TT...waiting for the sirens to get closer.

We were not speeding, the hitch was set up properly, no wind, daylight on the Freeway. A "hump and bump" on an overpass (that's what the Firemen and CHP Officer called it)got us!

The friction sway control only is a "band-aid" fix for sway issues. A false sence of security.

The dual cam system is worth every penny you pay for it. We went to a 5th wheel after our "incident", but if we ever return to a TT it will be with a minimum of the dual cam system. Keep your family safer.

I know this sounds crazy, but I just ordered the old style dual cam sway control off of eBay so that I can retrofit my bars.

I will never be able to be comfortable with that nagging feeling in the back of my head.

It should be here on Wednesday.

Now does anybody know where I can find instructions for kit 26001 online so I can start reviewing them?

Man y'all got me on:

proportional brake controllers
Maxxis tires
Now dual cam sway control

hopefully I got things right now. I know my mind is already at better ease. I can't wait to tow with dual cam.

Thanks

Jeremiah

Drbolasky

Allentown, PA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/19/12 05:34am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You made a good move going to the DC set-up. Like you, it was the experience of those here on the Forum that got me to make the switch. That was 10 years and 35,000 miles ago. There is better sway control equipment out there but you'll pay MUCH more than what your DC is costing. Best bang for the buck, IMHO.

Doug, Linda, Audrey (USN) & Andrew
2008 Sequoia SR-5, 5.7 L, 2000 Coachmen Futura 2790TB Bunkhouse, Dexter E-Z Flex Suspension, Reese W.D. Hitch/Dual Cam Sway Control, Prodigy Brake Controller, McKesh Mirrors

trailrider

new plymouth, idaho

View Profile

Posted: 02/19/12 12:27am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here are the instructions: http://www.etrailer.com/instructions.aspx?pn=26001

2012 Chevrolet 2500HD
1978 Chevrolet K20 4x4
2003 Komfort 28TS TT
2012 Honda CRF450X
2004 Honda Rancher 400AT 4x4
2005 Honda Recon 250 ES
2007 Suzuki DR 650

jerem0621

Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 02/19/12 12:36am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

trailrider wrote:

Here are the instructions: http://www.etrailer.com/instructions.aspx?pn=26001

Perfect, that is exactly what I was looking for!

Thanks!

tempforce

Pacific Wonderland (in the summers)

View Profile

Posted: 02/19/12 06:27am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dual cam, difference of night and day...
as you say.

made a huge difference with my trailer.
cc

somewhere in the texas 'lost pines'
currently without rv.
'13' Ford Fusion
'83' Ford Ranger with a 2.2 Diesel.
'56' Ford F100, 4.6 32 valve v8, crown vic front suspension.

BarneyS

S.E. Lower Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/19/12 06:38am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You will have to make a couple of minor modifications to your Huskey bars but it is not hard. I have posted previously about this. Here are a few of my posts that should help you out.
Barney

Post 1

Post 2

post 3

2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch
2002 Ford F250 Super Duty, 7.3L PSD
Visit our website here

djgarcia

Northern, Ca. , USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/19/12 07:31am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Safety! Safety! Control! It's what you are buying with the Dual Cam hitch.

Dick
djgarcia1939@gmail.com

shadows4

Kansas City, Mo

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/19/12 08:26am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Barney gave you some good links. The 26001 is what I use on my TT. I have upgraded my bars to 1200 lb bars that have the hook already on them. Takes a little bit of adjustment to get the DC tuned in but well worth the effort. Make sure your spring bars don't come in contact with the u-bolts or the stirrup brackets. I bent a couple of the arms for the stirrups. Good luck, John

2003 4X4 F350,CC,SB,Lariat,7.3L diesel, 157,000 miles
2004 Coachmen 278 RKS Fifth-Wheel
Reese 15K slider hitch

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> Starting to think about dual cam sway control
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts