|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> Starting to think about dual cam sway control

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
jerem0621

Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 02/19/12 09:54am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks everyone. I just got the message that the dual cam set up has been shipped. I will report back soon.

Thanks!

2014 Chrysler Town And Country
3.6 Pentastar V6

"It's Kind of Fun To Do The Impossible"
~Walt Disney~

john b

anywhere USA!

View Profile

Posted: 02/19/12 10:21am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jerem0621 wrote:

Thanks everyone. I just got the message that the dual cam set up has been shipped. I will report back soon.

Thanks!

Smart Man! Listen to the big voice of experience!!::

2001 F 350 CC PSD 373 rear,auto
RBW X16 slider,Bedsaver,Prodigy,Fold A Cover,Pressure Pro!
2011 Crossroads Cruiser cf32mk Patriot edit. 5th wheel Fibreglass and all the goodies necessary,Dish,comfy loungers,and a nickel to spend,
Mr & Mrs and the PUP.

arkidog

south central

View Profile

Posted: 02/19/12 11:21am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jerem0621

I added the 26001 dual cam sway control kit to my 94 vintage easylift WD hitch two years and 6000 miles ago. works great.
Unless you own a drill press or have access to one I recommend you take the bars to a machine shop to drill out the 5/16 inch hole to 1/2 inch. That spring steel is hard.
It took me about a hour and a half, let the smoke out of a 3\4 drill and burned up a carbide bit. I spent more money doing it myself than the price of having a machine shop do the work.
The final adjustment of the cams can best be accomplished by going to a level empty parking lot where you can easily drive in a straight line and stop numerous times.
Good Luck.
Arkidog

2013 Rockwood 8285WS Sig. UL 5W
2012 Ram 6.7L CTD

jerem0621

Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 02/19/12 01:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ron3rd wrote:

Sorry for the semi-hijack, but can that kit the OP bought be used with my old EZ Lift WD setup with round WD bars? Or do they make a kit for round bars?

I think that as long as your bars taper from round to flat on the end then you should be ok.

I am going to try and document my install from grinding the WD bars (if needed) to drilling the hole (if needed) to installation and final adjustment of the dual cam system. Hopefully this forum will be able to help me out along the way as I complete the install.
Thanks!

Ron3rd

Upland, CA USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/19/12 01:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jerem0621 wrote:

Ron3rd wrote:

Sorry for the semi-hijack, but can that kit the OP bought be used with my old EZ Lift WD setup with round WD bars? Or do they make a kit for round bars?

I think that as long as your bars taper from round to flat on the end then you should be ok.

I am going to try and document my install from grinding the WD bars (if needed) to drilling the hole (if needed) to installation and final adjustment of the dual cam system. Hopefully this forum will be able to help me out along the way as I complete the install.
Thanks!

Thanks, and yes, mine do go from round to flat at the end. It's the old EZ lift style that uses a small u-bolt that goes through 2 holes at the end of the WD bars and the u-bolts hold the chains. I guess I could drill out the holes?

2007 Tundra Crew Max
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Timbrens
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

Ron3rd

Upland, CA USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/19/12 12:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jerem0621

Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 02/19/12 02:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ron3rd wrote:

jerem0621 wrote:

Ron3rd wrote:

Thanks!

Thanks, and yes, mine do go from round to flat at the end. It's the old EZ lift style that uses a small u-bolt that goes through 2 holes at the end of the WD bars and the u-bolts hold the chains. I guess I could drill out the holes?

I read John's post about his EZ lift he added dual cam sway control to for the same kit. IIRC he said that he didn't have to modify his bars at all and his was a total bolt on operation.

Here is the best deal on Reese Dual Cam Sway Control Part 26001 on the net today, (at least that I can find)

eBay Auction (Not Mine)

For a brand new kit for approx $145.00 its an absolute steal. Its more than $50.00 cheaper than any kit on the net that I can find and more than half price what PPL wants for theirs.

I think that this kit is out of production now, so they are just going to get rarer and rarer.

I am sitting here in anticipation of my Dual Cam Sway Control kit, I know that I am going to have a lot of work ahead of me, hopefully it will not be that bad. Not really sure at this point though.

Here are some pics folks.

Here is the hitch head with 7 washers. It is a trunnion hitch, which works better, I think, for my top mounted coupler with 6 inch frame rails. maybe I am backwards on that.

Here are my 1000 lb Husky WD bars that will be modified to accept the Dual Cam adapters.

Dual Friction sway control that is going on Craigslist once I successfully install the Dual Cam system

No more worrying about the WD bars crashing into the coupler while turning sharp (It's not just backwards you have to worry about folks!)

No more worrying about the friction ball mounts being bent because of a too tight turn (backing up or going forward, doesn't matter) Notice the left sway bar mount is slightly bent in towards the hitch ball? Yeah, it can happen.

Here is my rig before our last camping trip of the fall. Not to bad looking for a 18 year old TT and a 15-16 year old truck if I do say so myself. LOL

All things being considered,mostly my family. I think that the decision to purchase the dual cam retrofit kit is a good decision. Hopefully I will notice a significant difference. I anticipate that I will..

One other thing. I will not have to do anything in bad weather but drive carefully right? No adjusting the dual cam, it works the same in wet weather?

Thanks!
Moderator edit to re-size pictures to forum limit of 640px maximum width to avoid scrolling.
Note: Just put the "width" in and not the "height".

* This post was last edited 02/19/12 04:12pm by an administrator/moderator *   View edit history

fla-gypsy

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/19/12 06:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I retrofitted my Reese hitch with the HP Dual Cam as you are doing. The difference from friction to the DC was amazing. My set up is now rock solid and I have a confidence that was not there previously. Good choice.

This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

afob3

Maryville, TN

View Profile

Posted: 02/19/12 07:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You are gonna love the difference once dialed in.

Previous set up for me was a single friction sway bar between a Tacoma and 17 foot hybrid. When we purchased the Koala, we insisted on the DC since we were towing at/over the limits of the Tacoma. Even with such a mis-matched TV towing the Koala was far more comfortable than the old Hybrid.

Hitching up is much easier & wet components no longer groan enough to wake the dead.

2012 Koala 25DS
2011 F150 Ecoboost SuperCrew with Max Tow Package

www.familyobrien.net

shadows4

Kansas City, Mo

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/19/12 07:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jerem0621 wrote:

I read John's post about his EZ lift he added dual cam sway control to for the same kit. IIRC he said that he didn't have to modify his bars at all and his was a total bolt on operation.

Here is the best deal on Reese Dual Cam Sway Control Part 26001 on the net today, (at least that I can find)

eBay Auction (Not Mine)

For a brand new kit for approx $145.00 its an absolute steal. Its more than $50.00 cheaper than any kit on the net that I can find and more than half price what PPL wants for theirs.

I think that this kit is out of production now, so they are just going to get rarer and rarer.

I am sitting here in anticipation of my Dual Cam Sway Control kit, I know that I am going to have a lot of work ahead of me, hopefully it will not be that bad. Not really sure at this point though.

Just a note: While that is a good price on ebay for the new kit. I have bought 3 used off ebay and never paid over $50 bucks. You just have to be patient. In fact the first one was in with several friction sway controlers. Guy was selling all together, think I paid $40 and sold the friction controlers for $25 each. Got lucky on that one. Good luck, John

2003 4X4 F350,CC,SB,Lariat,7.3L diesel, 157,000 miles
2004 Coachmen 278 RKS Fifth-Wheel
Reese 15K slider hitch

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> Starting to think about dual cam sway control
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts