RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Technology Corner: Stolen iPhone.........

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Stolen iPhone.........

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 02/19/12 06:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I Phones have GPS. you can track the phone (I do not know if a "Track me" app needs to be installed or if you can put a "Track my phones" app on another phone on the same account.

Then you can go get it if it's family.. Of hand the location to the nice officer if it's not.

True story: "Track me" devices have been installed in some automobiles for many years now. Starting with the Cadillac Esclade far as I know. (Actually there were optional ones earlier but On-Star was standard in the Esclade)

Got a BOL (Be On Lookout) for a stolen Esclade from a suburban PD.

Read it a few times.. Talked to my SGT. Got permission, sent a message back to the entering agency.

"Esclades come standard with on-star, among other things it's a vehicle recover system, call 1-800-chev-usa (or whatever the number I had in the data base was, NOTE: This number is also on each window of your high end GM car so I'm not giving away any secrets here)

15 minutes later my troopers were looking at the car, Still running, in Suspect #1's driveway.

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

NorthernLimits

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 02/19/12 06:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Engineer9860 wrote:

An update..........

Wife called the police. They requested that she come in and fill out a report, then they said they would follow up with an investigation.

This is good news, because I didn't expect them to be able to do anything.

Filling out a report doesn't mean anything else will get done. They aren't going to waste much time on a phone.

sherlock62

-

View Profile

Posted: 02/25/12 07:48am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

snipe:

Engineer9860 wrote:

If the thief pulls the SIM card, or the battery goes dead, you are just out of luck.

No, I would not be out of luck if the Simm card was pulled or battery went dead, etc...... I use Google Contacts and Google Calendar. Thief could pull my Simm card, reset my phone, kill the battery and or destroy the phone and all my Calendar info and Contact info would be safe at Google. Another plus with Google is I can access my Calendar / Contacts from any internet capable device I have my hands on. I encourage others to keep contacts and Calendar on Goggle and NOT on the phone.

Engineer9860

Eagle Scout dad

View Profile

Posted: 02/25/12 08:03am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

sherlock62 wrote:

snipe:

Engineer9860 wrote:

If the thief pulls the SIM card, or the battery goes dead, you are just out of luck.

No, I would not be out of luck if the Simm card was pulled or battery went dead, etc...... I use Google Contacts and Google Calendar. Thief could pull my Simm card, reset my phone, kill the battery and or destroy the phone and all my Calendar info and Contact info would be safe at Google. Another plus with Google is I can access my Calendar / Contacts from any internet capable device I have my hands on. I encourage others to keep contacts and Calendar on Goggle and NOT on the phone.

That point was made about tracking a stolen iPhone. Any, and all back ups off the phone will help keep your data safe.

One other point I should make, but I think this goes without saying........

NEVER leave a pass word open in an app. If any of your apps require a password and the app asks "remember password?" you should click NO! Especially if it is a banking app. Always set your preferences to require a password to log in each time. I know this is a hassle, but it could save you a ton of headaches if your phone is ever stolen.

In Memoriam: Liberty Belle

Engineer9860

Eagle Scout dad

View Profile

Posted: 02/25/12 06:11am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well gang, I have an update.........

After my wife threatened to go to the police it did get the family motivated to resolve this issue on their own. Sure enough, Mr. Dirtbag had my wife's iPhone. He gave it up after I sent them the serial number, and he couldn't explain why Apple would make two iPhones with the same serial number. Lol!

Now for the bad part.

If someone steals your phone, as soon as they pull the SIM card, the phone becomes their's. Meaning, no one can communicate with that phone. The reason my wife, her BIL, or AT&T was not able to track her phone is because Mr. Dirtbag pulled her SIM card, and threw it away. So even after recovering her phone, she still couldn't retrieve her personal info because he ditched her SIM before deleting all of her contacts, pictures, videos, apps, etc.

Also, here is something else to give an iPhone owner a cramp......

She sync'd her iPhone about 2 weeks before this episode, but that sync was nullified by the fact that we recovered her old phone....... Since Mr. Dirtbag deleted all of her stuff, iTunes assumed that is how we wanted it to be. Because iTunes recognizes the phone's serial number as the same old same ol' it simply adjusted the content in iTunes to reflect this new configuration....... So, even after syncing she still couldn't retrieve her contacts/pictures/apps, etc.

Had we bought a new iPhone, iTunes would have recognized this and restored the new phone to how it was at her last sync. Her last full backup was in Nov 2011 when she installed iOS 5.0.1. That was the best we could do..... Anything she has done since was just lost. Since she uses her phone for work, she has lost all contacts, and appointments made since Nov 2011. Luckily, she makes a paper backup so this is only a small inconvenience.

I'd like thank everybody who responded. At this point however, it looks as though the iPhone tracking apps are useless in finding a stolen iPhone. If the thief pulls the SIM card, or the battery goes dead, you are just out of luck.

AT&T even admitted that the only option they had would be to take down the serial number of the stolen iPhone, and seize it if it ever was brought in for service.......yeah, right. Like that would ever happen. As far as the lock signal from AT&T, again, once the SIM is pulled, it is just a waste of time.

I guess my only advice would be to treat your valuable electronic devices as you would a young child........ Know where it is 24/7/365(6).......... Who would have thought you would have to keep an eagle eye on your phone whilst setting on the kitchen counter top in your sister's newly built home??????

NorthernLimits

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 02/19/12 06:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wa8yxm wrote:

I Phones have GPS. you can track the phone........

Yes and no. It's has a GPS chip but just because it has one doesn't mean it can be tracked. That feature has to be turned on....and it can just as easily be turned off by the person that has it.

To the OP....apple won't "brick" the phone.

Tom&Dale

Sammamish, WA

View Profile

Posted: 02/25/12 08:59am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am curious if the parents took any action on their stepson? Did the kid even apologize to your wife?
Glad she at least got it back but the kid needs to pay some price for theft.

02 Dodge 2500 CTD, Edge EZ, Goerend transmission (3.55 axle ratio), BrakeSmart, BD exhaust brake, Firestone Ride-Rite air bags, Husky 16K hitch & towing our 05 Americana LC30/31 RL

magicbus

LBI, NJ or Nantucket, MA

View Profile

Posted: 02/25/12 08:06am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

sherlock62 wrote:

... I use Google Contacts and Google Calendar ... I encourage others to keep contacts and Calendar on Goggle and NOT on the phone...
After all of the recent "accidents" Google has been having in regards to capturing and in some cases using personal data, I think I would feel safer having my contact info and schedule in the hands of a thief that stole my phone!

Dave

Ranger Smith

Wherever the rig is parked

View Profile

Posted: 02/25/12 08:18am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

magicbus wrote:

sherlock62 wrote:

... I use Google Contacts and Google Calendar ... I encourage others to keep contacts and Calendar on Goggle and NOT on the phone...
After all of the recent "accidents" Google has been having in regards to capturing and in some cases using personal data, I think I would feel safer having my contact info and schedule in the hands of a thief that stole my phone!

Dave

I just use Icloud that comes free with the Iphone

Where I Am Now

Amateur Radio Operator KK9W ARRL VE FT DX2000

Steve and Joy
2011 Jayco Pinnacle 35 LKTS
2014 Ford F 350 Lariat Dually Camper Package
Cooper . . . The Aussie-Doodle, Yogi . . . The Yorkie, Cookie . . . The Chiuaiua

Engineer9860

Eagle Scout dad

View Profile

Posted: 02/25/12 09:15am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tom&Dale wrote:

I am curious if the parents took any action on their stepson? Did the kid even apologize to your wife?
Glad she at least got it back but the kid needs to pay some price for theft.

Since they live 600mi away, there isn't much I can do on this subject. Remember this kid comes from a broken home, and thus any punishment is push pull between two opposing forces. (the mom, and dad). This kid's mom was in his corner from the start.

The dad offered to pay my wife to upgrade her phone to a newer iPhone model, but I immediately refused. I think a cash payoff is a cop out.

Instead, and this is something that my wife's sister can enforce on our behalf, I suggested that the boy should be made to mow my wife's sister's new lawn this summer, without compensation of course........ The dad was in favor of this, but the mom wasn't...... So I assume the boy will walk free because his mom is an ├╝ber-idiot.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Stolen iPhone.........
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS