RV.Net Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Renting an RV experiences?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Renting an RV experiences?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
retiredtraveler

Woodstock Il --- GO HIKING!!!!

View Profile

Posted: 02/19/12 07:18am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DW and I have been looking for a small TT and only like the units costing in the $20,000 range (such as Lance 1575).

So, we're seriously considering a compromise where we would keep our popup for local camping and rent units when we travel to Canada or to the coasts. Part of the issue is the towing across country of a TT. I know, hundreds of thousands do this, but I really don't like spending 3 days, each way, towing something. The other part of the issue is simply the cost --- we can take a lot of long trips to add up to cost of a TT.

Are we in for any kinds of hassles, problems, considerations if we went the rental route? We've never rented. Of course, we have an advantage of having a pup so we know how the RV functions. But I don't know what kind of experiences people have with the rental itself. We would be looking for smaller Class C's probably. I don't have a TV to rent big TT's or 5-ers.

Thanks for any info. I'm thinking, specifically, of renting out of places/areas around NP's like Jackson Hole, Banff/Jasper (probably rent in Calgary), somewhere around Glacier/Waterton kind of thing.

Any words of wisdom are appreciated.

Pup: 2007 Jayco 1206 w/slide-out + shower
surge brakes, 54w solar panel
TV: 2005 Nissan Xterra 4X4, manual trans
25 years tent camping, 4000+ miles of hiking, lots of biking

eend

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 02/20/12 07:08am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In calgary there are quite a few rental places wher you can rent a truck and fifthwheel, truck and camper, converted camper van, class c motorhomes etc.

You can check out cruise canada, Fraserway rv rentals,canadream rv rentals , these are the most popular ones.

We go to Banff National park lots and see a lot of these rental units around, specialy europeans rent these things as they travel from calgary to Vancouver and back.

From what I hear is cruise canada is pretty cheap but their mtorhomes have a lot of miles on them and are well used, they also come with these huge murals on the side so you can see them coming from a mile away.

2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee with 3.0L diesel.
2005 Chevy Silverado 1500 4x4
2010 195wbs Shadow cruiser travel trailer.

Ohiojude

Westmoreland County

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/24/12 01:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We spent almost 3 wks in Alaska a couple of years ago and rented a Class C. It was great, they provided the linens, pots/pans etc. No issues and we put over 3k miles on the MH. I recommend renting to everyone.

2015 Chevy 3500 LTZ diesel dually, Curt Q20 Hitch
**traded in-the lemon- 2012 Winnie Raven 5th Wheel**
for a marvelous-2014 Big Country 3596RE
Traveling with 3 wonderful Feline Furboys Milo, Mason and Mozart

Less Stuff

WA. USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/20/12 02:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have rented motorhomes twice. Good experiences both times.

We rented in Anchorage, AK. then toured Alaska for three weeks.
Had a few problems partly due to inexperience with RV's.
Rental company took care of them over the phone.
Great trip.

We rented in Hamburg, Germany and toured Europe for six weeks this last summer.
Trip report here.
Great trip.

DG
Former user name: "Lots of Stuff"
2014 Jeep Patriot
Future folding trailer or ?

Suzanne and Brad

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 02/20/12 06:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We rented a Class C many years ago through Cruise America and the rig was fine and worked well - however the Cruise America dealer was not nice to work with - for example, he wanted the RV returned with the tank cap off, to prove they were dumped, Well, okay, we duped, of course, but there's still some seepage so it's not right to drive around with the cap off. However, I believe that each Cruise America dealer is privately owned, so this wouldn't necessarily happen to everyone. Just be sure you are clear about expectations and you like the person with whom you are working.

Happy Travels!
Suzanne & Brad

Mocoondo

Chicago, IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/20/12 09:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Suzanne and Brad wrote:

We rented a Class C many years ago through Cruise America and the rig was fine and worked well - however the Cruise America dealer was not nice to work with - for example, he wanted the RV returned with the tank cap off, to prove they were dumped, Well, okay, we duped, of course, but there's still some seepage so it's not right to drive around with the cap off.

Nobody wants to deal with poopy water. You'd be surprised how many people say they dump but don't dump. That's why the CA policy is valves open/cap off on return.

elkhornsun

Monterey

View Profile

Posted: 02/27/12 12:59am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One of my best travel experiences was renting a RV in Calgary, stocking up at the local Loblaw super store, and then traveling around for a few weeks. Great to spend 90% of the time where we wanted to be rather than use up 50% getting to and from an area.

Even though we are close to the San Francisco Bay area the Loblaw stores provide a unique range of foods including many international foods with a variety I have never been able to find in the USA. Great to be able to make one stop and get everything you are likely to need for the entire trip. The only thing we bought after we left Calgary was wine.

The outfit we used had only new vehicles and they changed them out every year. This way the vehicles were always under warranty and for the renter there was less chance of a breakdown in the middle of the trip.

I would use Yelp and other sources to find the rental outfit with the best track record at this time.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Renting an RV experiences?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS