|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Any advise for our first trip with our Motor Home

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Next
Sponsored By:
LennyH

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/19/12 08:30am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well my Wife and I will be setting out the first week of April / 2012 for our first trip, or should I say venture! Where? Am not sure right now, but we are going, Right now, I guess it’s pointing more towards the south part of the Country, But who knows where we will end up? I guess that’s the fun of owning a Motor Home, there are no limits to where or when you choose to go.

My wife and I are in our late 50’s, “I hope my wife never reads this part, with her age” however it is our truly fist time ever camping or owning a motor home and we need all the advise you guy’s out there have .
Do’s and Not’s, Places to see , Places not to waste our time to see, The best Camp sites to stay in, The camp sites to avoid, Most important activates for our grand children at camp sites.

Hope to hear from all you guy’s out there……Our

mockturtle

WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/19/12 08:35am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The best first camp site will be your own driveway. Spend at least the night before your trip in your RV, fix your meals in it, etc. Make sure all the systems are working well and whether or not you've forgotten to pack anything. Don't plan too much! Just have a general itinerary and change it on a whim. Above all, relax and have fun!

2015 Tiger Bengal TX 4X4
Chevy 3500HD, 6L V8

LennyH

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/19/12 08:39am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mockturtle

Your right the mane of the game is enjoyment & Fun!

Thanks for your reply....

Johno02

Lexington, TN USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/19/12 08:57am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

To be fully prepared, you should read EVERY thread and post on this forum!! If you haven't passed on for age or boredom by then, you will be supremely prepared to handle any situation, and have no fear of going anywhere or doing anything in what time you have left. .

That said, the first thing you need to find out is how to start the engine, After that , all will take care of itself. ENJOY!!!

Noel and Betty Johnson
2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 wife

traveylin

Rockport

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/19/12 08:58am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The second best first camp site is within 50 miles of your home where you are cast off from the household and neighbor hood support structure. After 3-4 days you will have a shopping list of minor items that seem more important now. The wife and I will like yourself will head west generally for the season But it is important to have a general 1-2 week plan for routing, and a destination set of camp ground options agreed to each night you are moving. Flipping through the maps, catalogues etc at 4:00 pm while going down the highway at 60 looking for a place to stop is stressful. You will find some of the easy off campgrounds are 3o miles off the highway, a sixty mile round trip.
Above all be a active reader of this Board. Its all been done and seen before. You will learn lots

Pops

LennyH

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/19/12 09:32am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks’ guy’s, I was not aware of double posting , just looking for information no harm intended!
But still that’s a camper I don’t need information from, that’s for sure!!

Happy RVing

stoversfromnj

MIDDLETOWN NJ USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/19/12 10:04am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

no harm done Lenny

Admin

Channel Islands Harbor, Ca.

Administrator

View Profile

Posted: 02/19/12 11:15am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Okay folks, back on topic please
Let's give him some constructive help

Admin
RV.net

bertnspike

e central fl

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/19/12 11:27am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

First and foremost make or download a checklist for preparing to start on a trip and/or leave a campground. That is the single most important thing you can have. Then use it. That is the second most important thing.

It doesn't matter how much stuff you buy or how many plans you make if you try to drive with the levelers down or pull out and rip out half your electrical system or drag your toad down the highway in park. That will be the end of your good trip. Most folks cannot depend on their minds alone to remember everything and if you're interrupted during your prep, who knows what you'll miss.

bsinmich

Holland, MI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/19/12 12:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Whenever we got a new RV our first trip was always to Algonac State Park in Mich because it was only 35 miles from home. Are you taking Grandchildren on this first trip? We had 2 of ours on a trip to Washington DC a few years ago and they enjoyed all of the activities. In the Spy Museum they stayed so long we were the last ones to leave. We stayed at Cherry Hill RV Park and had easy trips in by car and train, depending on our destination for that day. Cherry Hill is a little expensive until you figure what they could probably get if they built a golf course or condos on that space. A lot depends on where you are in PA.

2003 Newmar Mountain Aire, Workhorse W22, 2008 Saturn Vue, Falcon 5250, & US Gear Unified Tow Brake

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Any advise for our first trip with our Motor Home
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS