|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Bulge in kitchen floor

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
captpar

New Orleans

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/19/12 08:39am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a bulge in my kitchen floor, I first noticed it about two years ago. It is about a foot in diameter and seems to spreading in one direction. It not soft and spongy, it is hard I can jump up and down on it
without any give. I tried tracing water lines and as near as I can figure there isn't any there ( I could be wrong). However, the heating ducts run through there and the floor gets warm there when ever I run the furnace, could that be the problem/connection. It will be a major project to tear up the floor to see what the problem is. Any thoughts?

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 02/19/12 09:08am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Can't discount water as it could be coming from somewhere else. Turn on the pump and see if it runs over an extended time period But it could be rain. Could be under a top hard layer. Can you view frame members etc from underneath?

2009 Holiday Rambler 42 Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
2004 Honda CR-V

Bob

Vulcaneer

Central New Hampshire, Naples, FL

View Profile

Posted: 02/19/12 09:40am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

captpar wrote:

It not soft and spongy, it is hard I can jump up and down on it without any give.

Maybe Jimmy Hoffa?

That is the only thing I can think of. Is there any way you can check it out from underneath? Maybe remove the heat ducting to get a better view of the problem area?

'12 F350 SB, CC, SRW, 6.7 PSD, 3.55 RAR, 6 spd auto
2011 Open Range 393RLS 14,250 GVWR
Pullrite Super Glide 18K

Confusion is a prerequisite to enlightenment.
Enlightenment is a prerequisite to revelation.
Revelation without action makes no difference.

ricklord2001

Woodstock, Ga

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/19/12 10:41am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had the exact same problem on my Coachman that got progressively worse (bump/hump kept getting bigger). Lucky for me I have a good freind that owns a carpet cleaning/repair business and has a Master's Certification. We pulled up the carpet, which was the BIGGEST part/PITA of the job. As the hump had gotten quite bad we had to pull it back all the way to the couch and remove the passengers seat and pull that area back also. We then cut the plwood where the bulge was and unscrewed enough to look underneith it and there were a couple small holes that must of let enough moisture into expend the wood although there was no VISIBLE damage. We filled those holes and one guy stood on the now cut piece and we screwed it in (using los of screws), same with the other half. Then sealed the seams with liquid nails and it's been great for two years now.
I was certainly lucky to have my freind help me, if I'd of taken it in I'm sure it would of been major $$$$'s. The wood part was easy but the carpet sure took a pro. Good Luck hope this helps.

* This post was edited 02/19/12 07:28pm by ricklord2001 *

J-Rooster

Port Orchard, Wa. / Lake Havasu City, Az.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/19/12 02:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

captpar wrote:

I have a bulge in my kitchen floor, I first noticed it about two years ago. It is about a foot in diameter and seems to spreading in one direction. It not soft and spongy, it is hard I can jump up and down on it
without any give. I tried tracing water lines and as near as I can figure there isn't any there ( I could be wrong). However, the heating ducts run through there and the floor gets warm there when ever I run the furnace, could that be the problem/connection. It will be a major project to tear up the floor to see what the problem is. Any thoughts?
Captain I don't like saying this but your going to have to pull up the carpet or remove tile and take a look. During the winter is a good time to do it! Sorry and Good Luck!

royST

ann arbor

View Profile

Posted: 02/26/12 07:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have to agree with J-Rooster. My suspicion might also be the wood expanding because of moisture. But you'll never really know unless you pull out the carpet and have a look.

ryanallie1

Magalia, Calif

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/27/12 08:36am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi All.

Not knocking you down. But wonder why have you have waited 2 years to post for help now?. If it would have been our Motorhome, I would have found the problem when first noticed.

Kind of sounds like you do have a small leak of some kind, somewhere. As it has got larger over time, and is heading in one direction. That sounds kind of exactely like a leak would do over time if left unchecked.

As already stated, a water leak of any kind could be coming from almost any where. As water can easily travel over distances where you wouldn't even think possible. If its not a water line leakiing some where, then you probably have a roof leak some where and its traveling. Or maybe leaks from under the Motorhome and mositure is enterning when driveing in the rain.

Is your Motorhome covered in the winter time, or in a RV Port or just stored outside in the weather?. It might be time to reseal everything on your Roof.

Also, check as mentioned, if your water pump runs at anytime when no water is truned on. A sure sing of a problem in your water system. I wouldn't stop until I did evertyhing that I could do to find it.

After re-sealing the roof, and checking for any leaks inside of your Motorhome. If you still can't find it, maybe you should have a pressure test done to find any leaks that you might have and just can't find on your own. It just may be time for an RV Tech.

We wish you good luck and hope its not to big of a job or to expensive to repair. Good Luck. Happy Travels. Dan & Jill

1998-33.5 Rexhall, Rexair SL. 460 EFI. F-53. 7.3 MPG. TST TPMS. HWH Levelers. 5.5G Gen. Convection/Microwave Water Purifier/Water Softner. 2 A/C's. Alarm Systems. Honda EU2000i's W/Kit. Steer-Safe. CR-V W/SMI System. FMCA #F414397 Nam-Vet, 66-67-68&70-71

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Bulge in kitchen floor
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS