RV.Net Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Just curious...

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Just curious...

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 02/19/12 10:11am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The 'compartment' for storage of 50A cord has an opening that is 12"H X 22"W...the compartment is 14"H X 30"W X 12"D.
My cord unplugs.....so in goes the rig end first than I figure 8 it ending with plug end just barely fitting in and being able to close/lock door.
Summer time......goes right in
Winter time......any temp 40*F and above it goes with a bit of encouragement but drop below 40*F and it's easier to just coil it up and toss in back of truck. Besides 4-5 hours later it's going to be put back in service so I often wonder why I don't just throw in back of truck all the time......

old guy

Oregon (pronounced Or e gun)

View Profile

Posted: 02/19/12 11:21am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Great!! this is not something I wanted to hear. DW and I are looking at a 50 amp TT and now I have this to deal with. Now I know what to do, camp only in the hottest of weather! Or let DW do it

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 02/19/12 12:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

old guy wrote:

Great!! this is not something I wanted to hear. DW and I are looking at a 50 amp TT and now I have this to deal with. Now I know what to do, camp only in the hottest of weather! Or let DW do it
One option is to purchase or make a cord with a very flexible rubber outer covering instead of the standard plastic coating.

2009 Holiday Rambler 42 Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
2004 Honda CR-V

Bob

mamestra

Campbell River, B.C. Canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/19/12 12:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I use a hockey, duffel bag which keeps the cord contained and find that it is much easier to handle inside the bag.

2007 Dodge 3500 Quad 6.7 L Cummins
2012 Montana 3750FL
wife Diane and 110lb German Shepherd "Tye"
My mind keeps writing checks my body won't cash.

chuckster11

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 02/19/12 11:27am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My 50amp cord is a PIA summer and winter and I simply have to tolerate it. I can't even imagine having to wrestle 50ft. of it. No suggestion, mine lays in a figure 8 configuration in a storage bay unless it is cold when the coils want to stand straight up--then it gets to be like shoving giant worms back in the can.

Just Bob

SD/CT/FL/WY

View Profile

Posted: 02/19/12 12:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

old guy wrote:

Tell the dealer to install a power cord reel, or you're out the door.

camperpaul

Wherever I park my travel trailer

View Profile

Posted: 02/19/12 01:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For maximum flexibility, replace the cord with one made with "Neoprene" insulation.

Quote from Wikipedia:
"Neoprene or polychloroprene is a family of synthetic rubbers that are produced by polymerization of chloroprene. Neoprene in general has good chemical stability, and maintains flexibility over a wide temperature range."

Fan belts are made from it and they have to be flexible over a wide range of temperatures.

Paul
Extra Class Ham Radio operator - K9ERG (since 1956)
Retired Electronics Engineer and Antenna Designer
Was a campground host at IBSP (2006-2010) - now retired.
Single - Full-timer
2005 Four Winds 29Q
2011 2500HD 6.0L GMC Denali (Gasser)

webslave

Clearville, PA

View Profile

Posted: 02/19/12 01:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Another thing that can help... Shorten the cord(s). I have a 50 amp rig that came with a 35' power cord with a plastic cover. Definite PIA. I replaced it with a 25' Marinco, still a PIA, but, the cover stays flexible at lower temps and it is about 2/3 the original's length and, hence, 2/3 the original's weight. I also have a 15' 50 amp extension cord (not power cord; the extension cord has regular 50 amp plugs on each end, not the power lug that plugs into the trailer) for those sites where 25' won't reach. 15' is very manageable and if I can't reach the pedestal in 40', I need a new site!

I also use a 90 degree adapter for the power lug. Instead of having to lift the mass of the cable to insert it into the back of the trailer, it is 90 degree bent with a good "grip". Much easier to handle and it allows the cable to hang straight down the side of the trailer as opposed to sticking straight out. Much less stress on the trailer's side and easier to handle.

My 2 cents, your mileage may vary...

Don
Bronwyn
2 Cats; J-Lo and Ragamuffin

2011 Keystone Cougar 318SAB
2011 Ram 2500 Longhorn CTD HO
Built in brake controller and exhaust brake
Tri Glide TrailAir Pinbox with a B&W Companion Hitch

2ndhom

Eugene, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 02/19/12 01:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Measure your storeage area for size of plastic container it would accept. Go to Home Depot/Lowes buy one according to size of bay. Use it to curl your cord into using leather gloves. Use the lid or toss.

big bird 2

La Crescenta, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/19/12 07:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I store my 50 amp cable in a large plastic storage box (2X3X3) I keep the box in the basement on the driver side of my WF. Same side as the connectors. My first coiling of the cable was a little bit of a chore, but I got the cord wound in the box neatly and like most cables it remembered the position. Now it is a very easy exercise regardless of the temperature to coil it. I always wear gloves and wind it in the box using treated mechanics cloth to wipe the dirt and dust off the cable and connectors. I use a box this large so I do not crimp the cable.

Big Bird 2

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Just curious...
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS