RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Comments on Northern Lite Campers?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Comments on Northern Lite Campers?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Sponsored By:
AidenJ

Adirondacks, NY ,USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/12 05:09am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

loggenrock Check out truckcampermagazine.com Lots of good UNBIASED info on all TC's. They do a nice job on the factory tours as well.

2014 Dodge Ram 3500 CC, CTD, SRW
2010 NORTHERN-LITE 10-2 SPECIAL EDITION)
Libby, 2 yr Boxer/Hound mix learning to travel

covered wagon

USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/12 06:14am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

AidenJ wrote:

loggenrock Check out truckcampermagazine.com Lots of good UNBIASED info on all TC's. They do a nice job on the factory tours as well.

Truck Camper Magazine is extremely biased. Paints only the rosy picture. Even while showing a pic of one NL's manufacturing practices that in essence causes leaks and would never be practiced in the marine world (common knowledge), they describe the practice as to being so great. It's unbelievable how much we all want to believe/ fall for this stuff. I think the RV industry has some of the biggest market hype, albeit good for the American economy, Truck Camper mag gets on that bandwagon too.

Phonedude

Hillsboro,Or. USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/12 07:45am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sorry you have had so many problems, Covered Wagon. If I had to go through all you have, I might feel the same. But, I haven't. Mine is still pretty new to me,though. I talked to a lot of NL owners b4 we bought ours, and everything was positive. I don't know what year yours is, but maybe the construction is different now? I think maybe you just got a lemon. But to label the whole company bad, doesn't seem right. Just my opinion. JM

2002 Chevy 2500HD CC 4x4 D/A 2011 Northern Lite 9'6" Q Classic SE

rehoppe

Denver & Nathrop Colo or somewhere else

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/12 07:57am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

covered wagon wrote:

AidenJ wrote:

Truck Camper Magazine is extremely biased. Paints only the rosy picture. Even while showing a pic of one NL's manufacturing practices that in essence causes leaks and would never be practiced in the marine world (common knowledge), they describe the practice as to being so great. It's unbelievable how much we all want to believe/ fall for this stuff. I think the RV industry has some of the biggest market hype, albeit good for the American economy, Truck Camper mag gets on that bandwagon too. albeit good for the American economy, Truck Camper mag gets on that bandwagon too.

OUCH!

Don't hold back now. Tell us how you really feel.

Don't worry 'be hoppe'.

Hoppe
2011 Dodge 1500 C'boy Caddy
2000 Jayco C 28' Ford chassis w V-10 E450
Doghouse 36' or so Trophy Classic TT

AidenJ

Adirondacks, NY ,USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/12 10:37am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I believe the OP has asked for opinions. Coveredwagon you have made yours and have blasted others for their opinion. If you can't play nice please stay home.

covered wagon

USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/12 07:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

AidenJ wrote:

I believe the OP has asked for opinions. Coveredwagon you have made yours and have blasted others for their opinion. If you can't play nice please stay home.

Ill always be lurking to get out warnings. I think it's my responsibility to others to do so.

It's not that I enjoy this... I wanted to move on forgive and forget, but the last leak from the poor work I solved was finally so exasperating, It really iced my cake.

I try telling the truth and try seeing things realistically. If you had the problems I had you'd know why for the frustration and utter dissatisfaction, but, it's based on true experience since the very first week of ownership.

Every leak, many, and two structural failures resulted from poor to bad workmanship, made it more difficult to repair. I don't know if I'll ever solve a couple more minor ones still to go.

I'm also very sorry about all this and know eventually my frustration will fade away. Only because, very soon she is due to become a great camper.

* This post was edited 02/23/12 07:38pm by covered wagon *

dadwolf2

Henderson,NV

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/23/12 10:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

covered wagon wrote:

I bought my 10-2000 new in 03 and wouldn't consider buying another. Mainly from the number of leaks I had to repair, some delamination and condensation build up in the bead board type insulation (absorbs more than other types). It's only an inch thick which is a low r value and low structural value compared to other types of foam insulation. It's then glued to the fiberglass body with water base contact cement. I don't even have the weight of A built in generator and had failure /crushing in this area.

PM me if your wanting more infO.

Sorry about the 'rant slant' in my post. I hate being that way but it's been a real job just getting this /was new camper to be a good camper like it should have been in the first place.

Good info, NL had been on my shortlist of TC's before I bought my Outfitter. I had assumed a maintenance free TC by virtue of design. Like others have stated, is that an issue with a particular year? Just like trucks, some years for some brands you want to stay away from.

And I have to agree with coveredwagon. Truck camper magazine (like most magazines that cover cars, atvs, motorcycles, RV's, etc.)paints a rosy picture. Critical reviews don't sell to sponsors.

2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD,4X4,NV5600
2014 Adventurer 86FB

covered wagon

USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/24/12 10:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I can't say wether the problems I've had are particular to my year, 2003. I have not seen any other work being done on other years.

Just that every time a new leak shows, I take it apart and find a surprising amount of sloppiness to the over cut, over size rough openings. This makes for a very small overlap on the frames and other body mountings, hence less area for sealant to do it's job of becoming watertight.

* This post was edited 06/09/12 11:32pm by covered wagon *

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Comments on Northern Lite Campers?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS