RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Comments on Northern Lite Campers?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Comments on Northern Lite Campers?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Gray1Ghost

North Carolina

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/19/12 07:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My truck squatted enough when my camper was on to throw off the headlight beams. People would flash their lights at me thinking I had my brights on when actually it was my low beams with the angle raised when the rear would squat with the camper on. I use my truck frequently without the camper and didn't want to manually change the headlight angle so I rectified the squatting by adding the stable loads and then the Timbrens.

Some trucks, including my Ram, have clearance between the factory installed contact pads and the loverload spring, even with heavy loads in the truck bed. The stable loads (manufactured by Tork Lift) replace the smaller factory installed contact pads and the springs engage earlier with the stable loads. Even after installing the stable loads, my overload springs are not engaged when I don't carry a heavy load in the bed so I noticed no change in the unloaded ride. Here's a link to Tork LIft's page: http://www.torklift.com/p.php?w_page=stableload
and here's a link to a forum discussion of the stable loads: http://www.rv.net/FORUM/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/20951104/gotomsg/21043446.cfm

The Timbren Suspension Enhancement System replaces the factory installed bump stop and engages the axle housing when a sufficient load is in the bed. I added the Timbrens after the stable loads alone did not adequately resolve the squatting. With both I have a fine ride loaded and unloaded without throwing off my headlight beams. Here's a link to the Timbren page: http://www.timbren.com/ses-kits.htm

I did not have to drill any holes in the truck as both the stable loads and Timbrens replaced existing factory installs. I did this in lieu of air bags and am satisfied with my ride. Ted

Phonedude

Hillsboro,Or. USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/19/12 08:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a NL 9.6 SE Queen Classic. My truck is an 02 crew cab long box duramax. The only thing not stock is air bags, KYB shocks and Toyo m-55 tires. It handles it just fine. We went on a trip from Portland, OR to east coast of Canada, Newfoundland, Labrador, and back through the US. A total of 63 days and 13150 miles. Everything was perfect with the camper. We looked for 2 years at campers and felt this was the best for us. So far, it has been. No complaints JM

2002 Chevy 2500HD CC 4x4 D/A 2011 Northern Lite 9'6" Q Classic SE

Gaetan

Jonquiere, Qc. Canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/21/12 03:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ijust bought a 2004 NL last august and it is like new only one trip to florida it is a charm compare to pulling a 35ft 5th wheel,
if you look for used NL they are very rare and for methis is a dream come trough, when we bought the 5th wheel in 2004 I would have bought the TC instead but we were spending a few months in florida a nd the 5th offered the space needed for long time camping but a TC is a real travelling camping unit.
do not esitate too long it will be gone
Gaetan

Gaetan St-Hilaire
2004 silverado 4/4 2500HD long box Duramax/Allison
2003 everest 323k
2003 northernlite ten 2000 rd

AidenJ

Adirondacks, NY ,USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/20/12 05:44am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We wanted a non slide,light weight, good quality camper with decent sized tanks. I believe we have found it in our 10-2 NL. Would definitly buy another, but I doubt that will be necessary.

2014 Dodge Ram 3500 CC, CTD, SRW
2010 NORTHERN-LITE 10-2 SPECIAL EDITION)
Libby, 2 yr Boxer/Hound mix learning to travel

loggenrock

New Hampshire

View Profile

Posted: 02/20/12 11:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi again - he is looking at a new (2012) model. I was impressed by the fact it comes with a 6 year structural warranty. All the other ones were only for 1 year! Appreciating the comments - keep 'em coming! ST

Two and a hound in a 2003 Roadtrek 190P and a pair of Limmers...
First 50 done, working on the second pass!

WestCoast1969

Brentwood Bay, BC

View Profile

Posted: 02/21/12 12:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Morning all, here's my two cents. Last year we bought a 2011 9-6 QSE after about three years of looking around for a used one (good luck trying to find one used lol) and we absolutely love it. Well built, great features and options. It is sitting on a 2000 F350 DRW 7.3l that I upgraded the front and rear sway bars to Hellwigs, added Firestone airbags and Rancho 9000XL shocks. Drives and handles great.

WestCoast1969

2000 Ford F350 Lariat, 4wd, DRW, 7.3l, Firestone Airbags, Rancho 9000 XL shocks, front/rear Hellwig Sway Bars
2011 Northern Lite 9-6 QC
WestCoast1969

covered wagon

USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/22/12 03:14am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Flyfisher86 wrote:

Remember there is no such thing as the perfect camper and every manufacture can have problems. That said I have a 10-2 CDSE and love it had one minor leak and a little bit of caulking all fixed. My only complaint is they didn't come out with the taller model until after I bought mine. Would I buy another, in a heart beat but I don't see a reason to have to as this will last me a long time with less maintenance than most.

Every manufacturer does not have a steady list of problems from the very beginning of ownership and then slow down after the owner had to work like h#$%^ to repair everything. Not an opinion because I have torn into everything on the camper and seen how it's built, 'or not built, however you like it'. Until you start really tearing into everything to repair it, your thoughts are just opinions. I happen to know all of this campers short cuts. Piece rate laborers is the only way to explain it. Bean counting to the extreme underneath all the gleam and glitz.

covered wagon

USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/22/12 08:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bwanted wrote:

Saw one at the camper show.39000.00 No slides

Just do the hop skip and a jump over to NorthStar.

bwanted

skowhegan me. us

View Profile

Posted: 02/22/12 04:59am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Saw one at the camper show.39000.00 No slides

Flyfisher86

Catskill Mtns.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/21/12 04:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Remember there is no such thing as the perfect camper and every manufacture can have problems. That said I have a 10-2 CDSE and love it had one minor leak and a little bit of caulking all fixed. My only complaint is they didn't come out with the taller model until after I bought mine. Would I buy another, in a heart beat but I don't see a reason to have to as this will last me a long time with less maintenance than most.

2009 Dodge 3500QC DRW Flatbed 6.7CTD 6Spd Auto
2009 Northern Lite 10-2CD Special Edition 200w of solar and one spoiled camper dog Splash

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Comments on Northern Lite Campers?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS