RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Big E RV Show in Mass not worth the trip.

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Big E RV Show in Mass not worth the trip.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
Fixedblade

Northeast Kingdom of Vermont

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/19/12 01:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Greetings: We drove 225 miles down to the Big E RV show in West Springfield, Mass yesterday and were quite disappointed after spending 4 hours at the show. It's a big show with hundreds of booths and displays in 3 large fairground buildings. My main beef is that while there were a LOT of trailers and towables of all sorts there were exactly 3 Class A motorhomes in the whole place. Fortunately they were Winnebagos that's what we're interested in so it wasn't a total wasted trip. Certainly anyone that was seriously looking for a new Class A and expected to see a variety of them would have been very disappointed. Also, out of the hundreds of booths, I'd estimate 85% of them were novelty items, flea market junk and other stuff totally unrelated to RVing. Despite all that, it was wall to wall people so what do I know anyway... I do know I won't go again next year..
FB in Vt.

Jim@HiTek

Gresham, OR, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/19/12 01:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've found that most shows like those car, boat, RV, etc. are just a huge waste of time. I like the beer shows though.

Jim@HiTek
Have shop, will travel!
Visit my travel & RV repair blog site. Subscribe for emailed updates.
Fleetwood Bounder, '94
Cummins Diesel, 190HP, 36.5' with 50HP LP boost.
Black Rock Lava Park, Nevada

Suescasa Mycasa

In front of the TV, Pa.

View Profile

Posted: 02/19/12 01:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Its either Hershey in fall
or Tampa in winter

I believe you can go to a decent size RV dealer in the area and see more of what you want

* This post was edited 02/19/12 03:49pm by Suescasa Mycasa *

2003 Travel Supreme Select 45'
ISM 500 Oh Myyyyyyyyyy
2003 Yamaha V Star 1100
Joeylift motorcycle lift
rollin rollin rollin... keep those doggies rollin

Alpenliter

Fulltimer: Wherever we are!

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/19/12 01:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The recent Seattle RV show was the same. According to our sources, towables are hot, class A's are not, so the dealers bring what sells. As far as the novelty items go, down here at Quartzsite it was the same in the Big Tent. 127 novelty booths, 97 RV related.

My first Wife Linda, 45+years 2004 F-450 CC, DRW 6.0 Classy Chassis Upgrade Bulletproof Diesel upgrades 1997 33' Alpenlite 400 Watts Solar Lifetime Good Sam Member #39644174 Escapees SKP#89882 Vietnam Vet '67-'68 [

Note: Due to invalid formatting, all formatting has been ignored.

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 02/19/12 01:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

To me, going to an RV Show is like going to a 'tourist' town......many shops with the same cheap junk.

turninghawk

Ormond Beach, FL

View Profile

Posted: 02/19/12 01:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Alpenliter wrote:

towables are hot, class A's are not, so the dealers bring what sells.

So it appears as though the dealers at the show were promoting their best sellers. Makes sense.

As to the vendors, anybody can buy a booth. Nobody is 'juried-in' as they would be to an arts & crafts exhibition/sale for example. You pay the money, you can sell whatever junk you please.

Dale.Traveling

Newport News, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/19/12 01:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Alpenliter wrote:

The recent Seattle RV show was the same. According to our sources, towables are hot, class A's are not, so the dealers bring what sells. As far as the novelty items go, down here at Quartzsite it was the same in the Big Tent. 127 novelty booths, 97 RV related.

Same thing here in south eastern Virginia. Two shows so far in these parts and 90% towable products on display. I wonder just how many sales Bath Fitters get from their booth. Let me think, should I spend my money on a new RV or turn my bathroom into a spa? About the same price. Maybe I should get leaf guards for the house gutters?

Also as mentioned, Hershey in September or Tampa in January.

2006 Hurricane 31D aka 'Moby' the Whale
FCC(SW) US Navy Retired 1980-2003
Stella my Navigator
Bogart the All American RV Dog
and
Cocoui waiting for me at the Rainbow Bridge

mdprince

Santa Clarita, CA

View Profile

Posted: 02/19/12 02:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The DW and I went to the Pomona show, I'm guessing in '06 (before the downturn) and it was great. Basically, almost all manufacturers were represented (there were more back then) and just about one of every Class A model. It was a lot of fun.

Almost every post about someone going to an RV show 'recently', sounds the same, and it's just a sign of the times. Here's to wishing and working for a full recovery for the RV industry and, more importantly, our country !! (jmho)

2006 Revolution LE 40E
2004 Jeep Rubicon Toad/Brake Buddy or
20' Toy Trailer/Quads 'n Dirt Bikes

JudoJeff

Southwick, MA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/20/12 05:47am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I went on Saturday and can't disagree. The Young Building had the worst venders! I think there was only one token campground in the bunch, but that's where they also stuck Morgan Resorts, so maybe it was planned out.

I noticed the dearth of Class A's. I think the price is so high the dealers aren't bringing them into their lots. Did you notice the huge number of truck campers? Never saw so many available.

I'm more interested in a new towable, and the selections were interesting. I didn't see any big price reductions.

The Big E charges big bucks for the facilities, and even as a non-profit, they need to fill the spaces to pay the high overhead.

I'd like to see a flea market area with only camping related items. That would be fun!

K1BE Jeff
Vulneratus Non Victus
"Wounded but not Conquered!"

RandyP77

Virginia Beach, Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 02/20/12 06:38am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yep if your looking for a class A, the Tampa show is where you need to be.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Big E RV Show in Mass not worth the trip.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS