RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Beginning RVing: Best black water chemical?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Best black water chemical?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Next
Sponsored By:
jim330rifle

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 02/19/12 03:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have tried used many chemicals for my black water holding tank and have not had good luck.What is the best to use that will clean it out and kill the smell?

therink

Rochester

View Profile

Posted: 02/19/12 04:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For me, no chemicals ever. Lots of water, water, water. The geo method. Never any odors.

Steve Rinker
Rochester, NY
2013 Keystone Sydney 340FBH 5th Wheel, 12,280 lbs wet
2012 Silverado 3500HD, SRW, LTZ, 4x4, Z71, CC, 6.0 Gasser, 4:10 Axle, Short bed, payload 3,900 lbs.

Take my posts for what they are, opinions based on my own experiences.

aslakson

Fulltiming in the Lower 48

View Profile

Posted: 02/19/12 04:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I use Unique RV-DigestIt. Dissolves all the solids, never any odors.

Lots and lots of water means I'd have to dump that much more often. DigestIt and laziness work for me.

al

Fulltiming since Apr 2007 in 2000 Rexhall Aerbus, towing 2012 Honda CRV. 44 of the lower 48 so far.

Ron3rd

Upland, CA USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/19/12 04:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you have odor issues, you are not getting your tank clean when you dump. Make sure you dump with plenty of water, ie the tank is at least 2/3 full. Add water if necessary. Never leave the valve open when you have sewer hook ups, etc, etc. Get a tank sprayer installed, use a Flush King, or some other aide to rinsing the tank and you'll notice a big improvement. You should not have an odor problem even if you use no chemicals. As to chemicals, use whatever you like the smell of. They're just deodorizers anyway.

2007 Tundra Crew Max
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Timbrens
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

jim330rifle

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 02/19/12 04:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I tried that.It stank! Honestly,the holding tank was full when I bought the trailer.It sat for a long time before I bought it and I dumped the tank and I flushed it out.Not all of the "stuff" came out.I have been looking for a chemical to clean it out with.

Ron3rd

Upland, CA USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/19/12 04:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jim330rifle wrote:

I tried that.It stank! Honestly,the holding tank was full when I bought the trailer.It sat for a long time before I bought it and I dumped the tank and I flushed it out.Not all of the "stuff" came out.I have been looking for a chemical to clean it out with.

Looks like you've got the "poop pyramid" build up. Best bet would be to fill it up with water and add some cleaner (others can recommend something, maybe a quart of Simple Green?) let it sit for a long time then rinse and repeat as many times as necessary to get the tank clean. It's gonna take some time but it can be done. Bottom line is you've got a lot of dried up poop in there that you need to get out. If you have a sewer you can hook up to, I'd buy a Flush King as it makes it easy to add water to the tank and has a clear elbow so you can see your progress.

skipnchar

Topeka or somewhere else

View Profile

Posted: 02/19/12 04:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You MAY have a problem with your system. Vents not properly working or not cleaning the tanks well or often enough. Usually tank chemicals don't do much for odor control (never smelled one yet that I want to smell in my bathroom). I've always used the cheapest one I can find at the particular place I'm shopping and have never had a problem or seen any difference in any of them.
Good luck / Skip

2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

Ron3rd

Upland, CA USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/19/12 04:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

skipnchar wrote:

You MAY have a problem with your system. Vents not properly working or not cleaning the tanks well or often enough. Usually tank chemicals don't do much for odor control (never smelled one yet that I want to smell in my bathroom). I've always used the cheapest one I can find at the particular place I'm shopping and have never had a problem or seen any difference in any of them.
Good luck / Skip

Skip, the part I picked up on is he said it was "full" when he got it so who knows how long it's been sitting.

jim330rifle

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 02/19/12 04:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It sat for five years

Ron3rd

Upland, CA USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/19/12 04:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jim330rifle wrote:

It sat for five years

Ouch!