RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Beginning RVing: Best black water chemical?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Best black water chemical?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
paulcardoza

Southeastern Massachusetts

View Profile

Posted: 02/20/12 08:17am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Let's think about this for a minute....... Assuming that over 5 years, whatever was in the tank probably dried out, yes? So if it had a lot of "stuff" in there and went dry, nothing would likely flow out. Before spending all kinds of cash replacing tanks, I would suggest finding a plumber with a snake-camera who can get in there and see what's up.

Paul & Sandra
New Bedford, MA
2003 Monaco Executive M43 DS2

Francesca Knowles

Port Hadlock, Washington

View Profile

Posted: 02/20/12 10:56am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

AJR wrote:

After five years my first concern would be the vent pipe. Lord knows what grew up it.
Times two!
It's even possible that you've got something living in that pipe...

If you can, you might try cleaning it the way we do our stovepipe: get up on the roof with an appropriately sized brush tied to a long stick/pole and ream the vent pipe out.
If a stick's too awkward, you can use a rope or chain with a weight heavy enough to allow a "plunging" action.

* This post was edited 02/20/12 02:02pm by Francesca Knowles *

" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

Don & Linda

Western PA / Cape Cod

View Profile

Posted: 02/20/12 12:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jim330rifle wrote:

I have tried used many chemicals for my black water holding tank and have not had good luck.What is the best to use that will clean it out and kill the smell?

jim330rifle wrote:

I tried that.It stank! Honestly,the holding tank was full when I bought the trailer.It sat for a long time before I bought it and I dumped the tank and I flushed it out.Not all of the "stuff" came out.I have been looking for a chemical to clean it out with.

jim330rifle wrote:

It sat for five years

Jim,

I wouldn't worry about the poo monster growing up the stack, nor would I put a long handled brush/chain down it. I'd hate to see a future post like "How do I get that stuck chimney brush out of my vent pipe?" If your concerned about the vent, get up there, pop the cap off and look down it. A mud wasp or like insect is the only thing, I could think of that would block a vent.

I'd listen to those recommending digester. If a load of fecal waste sat in the tank for multiple years, it probably dried down to a tough leather. The method I'd follow would be, almost fill the tank with water, add digester, wait the twice the time suggested on the product, then dump and flush and repeat as needed. You'll get it done eventually. Hopefully sooner than later.

When you've get it finished, choose a chem you like the smell of. Those that use no stink pretty additive only do so because they think their "stuff" doesn't smell. Well let me tell you. I've waited inline behind non/chem/folk at the dump station on warn summer day and I'll tell you, the odor could knock a buzzard of a honeywagon.

Good Luck, Don

Sorry if this post seems long, I lacked the time to make it shorter.
almost quote from S.L. Clemens

Don & Linda

1st RV UL EMS 4s Dome
2nd RV 21' AMF Scamper TT PV D300 Dodge
3rd RV National Seabreeze 133LX w/Demco Dolly
4th RV Jayco 2450 5TH PV Ford F-250 SD

RaenMark

USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/20/12 12:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

x2 on the snake cam! Go investigate what's really going on before you make any expensive decision. Plumber flushing or tank replacing might be called for, but until you look, you're just guessing.

Rae & Mark
Bountiful, UT
1999 Fleetwood American Tradition 40
Just got it and learning about it as we go!

Francesca Knowles

Port Hadlock, Washington

View Profile

Posted: 02/20/12 02:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Don & Linda wrote:

I wouldn't worry about the poo monster growing up the stack, nor would I put a long handled brush/chain down it. I'd hate to see a future post like "How do I get that stuck chimney brush out of my vent pipe?"

I guess you're referring to my post, and my support of the idea that the place to start is with the ventpipe.

Francesca Knowles wrote:

AJR wrote:

After five years my first concern would be the vent pipe. Lord knows what grew up it.
Times two!
It's even possible that you've got something living in that pipe...

If you can, you might try cleaning it the way we do our stovepipe: get up on the roof with an appropriately sized brush tied to a long stick/pole and ream the vent pipe out.
If a stick's too awkward, you can use a rope or chain with a weight heavy enough to allow a "plunging" action.
I suggested a technique. I certainly didn't suggest the use of a big chain or a chimney brush, either of which could easily damage a plastic vent pipe.
The O.P. sounds like a sensible man, but if clarification is needed:
A plastic brush should be used, and do NOT put 3 inch boom chain down the plastic pipe.

If anyone has a better suggestion should the O.P. find birds/mud wasps/whatever have nested in there, I hope they'll post it.

Bonefish

Midland, TX

View Profile

Posted: 02/20/12 02:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Pure Power

Pure Power works great assuming you do not pore bleach or any anti-bacterial chemicals down in your black tank.

If you have a build up I would fill the tank with water and pore in some of this and leave it for a week then drain and flush. The water should hydrate the waist and the bacteria-enzymes should break it down. We have uses this in all our campers holding tanks since it was new and have never had a odor or drain problem.

And it is more enviromentally friendly that the geo-method.

Also some Wal-Marts carry this product.

Bonefish

sonicsix

Jerry n' Cynthia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/20/12 02:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Plain water is all you need, unless you are planning to hang on to the contents for a long time. Not sure why anyone would do that, though.

WandaLust2

TN

View Profile

Posted: 02/20/12 03:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jim330rifle wrote:

I have tried used many chemicals for my black water holding tank and have not had good luck.What is the best to use that will clean it out and kill the smell?

Nothing available will KILL the smell completely. Nothing will keep a pyramid from forming except loads of water or flushing the black tank after emptying it. Some RVs come with the hookup for the flush hose. We use it every time.

WandaLust. Retired. Middle TN
Heartland 2011 NorthTrail 28BRS
1993 Ford Dutchman Class-C

Ron3rd

Upland, CA USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/20/12 03:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

To the OP; does the black tank drain ok when you hook the slinky up and open the valve, or is it plugged?

2007 Tundra Crew Max
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Timbrens
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

autorot8

N. CA

View Profile

Posted: 02/20/12 05:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Don't know if this will help in your situation, but I use this, nature-zyme in my tanks. It not only took care of any odors that might have been there, but did a great job of cleaning the sensors. Before use, my black tank sensor always showed 1/3 full even when empty. After using this product, the sensor would actually show empty.

2014 Ram 2500 Laramie Crew Cab 6.4l Hemi to pull my Prime Time Lacrosse 296BHS
"Overstating the Obvious rarely helps the Oblivious!"

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Best black water chemical?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size: