|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Hybrid Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Hybrid Travel Trailers

> Turtling bed mod ideals

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
1150ap

canada

View Profile

Posted: 02/19/12 06:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a ideal and not sure if someone has done this mod yet.
We have a little trip planed and we are planning to turtle for one night it will only be me and DW. The problem with that is that we are both over 5 foot tool so to try to sleep at the dinette or on the sofa will not work. So my ideal is lay the dinnete down and the sofa down and build a bridge over the two and put a air mattress over both but the sofa is lower by 2 inches. Just seeing if someone has allready done this, and how.

Thanks

2010 Jayco 17z
2008 GMC Sierra

Chuck_S

Broadview Hts, OH, USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/20/12 04:16am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For one night why bother with constructing a bed. Just put a couple of air mattresses on the floor.

I'd think one person could fit in the dinette. Maybe at an angle. Only one night.

-- Chuck

'06 Roo 23SS behind '07 Expedition out of Cleveland
Our Photo pages

dahkota

Fulltiming

View Profile

Posted: 02/20/12 04:43am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For one night, one person can sleep on the couch, one on the floor. I'm 5'6" and I can sleep on the 5' couch. The only problem would be if you are both stomach sleepers. If one of you sleeps on your side, the couch is doable. My husband, at 6'2" has napped for a couple hours on the couch. I guess it really just depends on how tired you are. Definitely better than sleeping in the tv.

2008 Ford F250 diesel
2014 Fleetwood Bounder 33C
States camped, 2014: 22

wmoses

Houston, Texas, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/20/12 06:44am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

1150ap wrote:

The problem with that is that we are both over 5 foot tool so to try to sleep at the dinette or on the sofa will not work.

With the same RV as you, my wife and I wondered the same thing as we have yet to turtle.

We are also over 5' (I am 5'-8") and we concluded that I would have to have the dinette as it is larger while she gets the sofa. I would not be able to stretch out on the dinette but I expect I would have to sleep at an angle. She also would not be able to stretch out on the sofa but as she is shorter she may be less cramped than I.

I would be interested to hear how you make out turtling.

Regards,
Wayne
2014 Flagstaff Super Lite 27RLWS Emerald Ed. | Equal-i-zer 1200/12,000 4-point WDH
2010 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 5.3L | K&N Filter | Hypertech Max Energy tune | Prodigy P3
_

dadmomh

Jackson, TN

View Profile

Posted: 02/20/12 08:59am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Keep it simple. I am about 5'6 and the dinette is fine sleeping at a slight angle. Not uncomfortable at all. DH is 6'3 and has slept a couple of nights on the sofa - opened up, obviously. While not like a real bed, he lived through it and would do it again if need be. I think you're making work for yourself by trying to turn the sofa and dinette into one bed. Then, where are you going to store the stuff for the rest of the trip. Simple. Simple.

2013 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2604
2003 Ford F-150 with Blue Ox 1000
4 doggies - We support Adopt/Rescue.
Sam, you were the best!
Foxy is our new camping buddy.
Our rescued sisters, Biscuit and Lily, are now 1 year old!
Support responsibility....Spay/Neuter!

Triguy

SE Wisconsin

View Profile

Posted: 02/20/12 12:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've turtled in our trailer for one night when it was just me and it was raining when I pulled into the CG. I'm 6'2" and the couch worked ok. Not great, but ok.

But assuming its not raining, it takes me all of 5 minutes to lay down a bunk or put it back up so that's what I would do; even for one night.

2012 Shamrock 233S, P3, Equal-i-zer
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD

GpaVader

Brooklyn Park, MN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/20/12 12:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think you might be makeing this harder than it needs to be... you can still do the brigde but sleep with your heads on the benches, so each of you are sleeping on a bench and your legs would be the only things sloping down the two inches. If that is really a problem take a blanket to prop up the other end...

'13 Toyota Tundra 5.7L
'12 Syline Koala 24RBK

wmoses

Houston, Texas, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/20/12 01:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Triguy wrote:

But assuming its not raining, it takes me all of 5 minutes to lay down a bunk or put it back up so that's what I would do; even for one night.

Me too but he might be turtling in a Wal-Mart for example, and from what I hear they don't want overnighters setting up. Deploying a bed could be seen as setting up to some folk.

Besides, there is a bit more security when turtling than when the canvas bunk end is deployed. I prefer to sleep under canvas only in a campground with at least a modicum of security.

haroldpe86

Adamsville, MI

View Profile

Posted: 02/20/12 06:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had been pondering the same question as you this past year. The air mattress, a piece of plywood and anything you have around to make up the 2" difference (a 2x4?) would seem a place to start. You could probably improve on it after seeing it in place.

Could size the plywood so it fit under the bunkend, while not in use. Guessing it would need to lay on the dinette while traveling. A bit of a pain moving around, but only needed on a trip that involves turtling.

Gary - 2010 Kodiak 184 HTT

1150ap

canada

View Profile

Posted: 02/20/12 08:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As wmoses sugested my plans where to spend a night at a walmart. As to creating work formyself that is not a problem i would rather be doing something rather than watching tv. Storage of what ever i come up with i can through it in the back of the truck it will not be in the way and the back of the truck is covered. A good nights sleep is important to me. If i get four hours of solid sleep i am good but if i get eight hours of interupted sleep i dont do well. This is the reason i want to do this and if it works out great i will end up using it agian if it is a failure well just add it to the list of things i have done and will not do it again.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Hybrid Travel Trailers

> Turtling bed mod ideals
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Hybrid Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS