|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Changing rear flat tire on a Dually

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
christopherglenn

Near Yosemite

View Profile

Posted: 02/19/12 11:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have Freds spacers, there are two sets of nuts for me...
The upside is if I get an outside flat, a 2x6 is all the jack I need to change it.

2007 Chevrolet 3500 CC/LB Duramax/Dually 4X4 Mine r4tech, Reese Signature Series 18k +slider, duratrac, Titan 62 gallon, diamond eye, Cheetah 64
2011 Keystone Fusion 405 TrailAir & Triglide, Centerpoint, gen-turi, 3 PVX-840T, XANTREX FREEDOM SW3012, G614

BobsYourUncle

Surrey, BC Canada

View Profile

Posted: 02/19/12 11:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I once got a flat on an inner dually. I was up in Northern BC coming home from a trip. It was a Sunday afternoon so no shops were open. I drove it 300 plus miles home, flat.
3 days later I took it to the tire shop for repairs. They pulled off the wheel, repaired the hole and put it back together.
No damage to the tire, no problems, nothing.
Obviously I was careful in my driving on the way back, but I noticed no difference in handling. The only reason I found out it was flat was when we stopped for .... roadside relief.... the worker I was traveling with noticed it.

2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ
Duramax / Allison
Fire Red

1997 Triple E Topaz 27' Bunkhouse TT

81 Citation 25' "Tail dragger" "Under construction"

"Workin' man's rig"

Bob's Trucks

Check Out My Rebuild Project

Project Feedback

blt2ski

Kirkland, Wa

View Profile

Posted: 02/20/12 12:08am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

NorthernLimits wrote:

Son of Norway wrote:

If you get a flat, pull over. Don't risk another problem. Dually's are easy enough to take off but putting them back on is another matter. The inside tire has to be properly mounted and torqued. Under ideal circumstances, it's not that difficult to do yourself, but flats usually don't happen under ideal circumstances. You should try it at home to see what's involved. Otherwise, you might want to call your tow service.

Miles

The inside tire needs to be properly mounted and torqued? The same lugs nuts that hold the outside tire on hold the inside tire. There is not a separate set of nuts for the inside tire.

For our pickups, this is not an issue, ie two sets of nuts etc. NOW< if you have something that this persons MH, or my Navistar that has "Bud" wheels, then the inner dual is torqued on with on nut, the outer is then put on this setup then a bolt torqued on also. I may be slightly off in my description, but close enough to show/say/type if one will, that there are other ways of doing dual tire setups vs pickups, where you slide the inner on, a spacer if one has one, I did on my 89, but not on my 05 gm's....then outer rim tire, put bolts on and torque accordingly.

Marty

05 Chev CC D/A LS Dooley

92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
00 Chev C2500, V5700, 4L80E, 4.10, base truck, no options!
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer
3 Single axle utility trailers

Check RV.Net Blogs at: blog.rv.net

whisperide

Golden Spike area

View Profile

Posted: 02/20/12 05:18am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would add that for those like myself, who would never call for help ( then wait 6 hours ) It's best to get a spare 3/4"-drive breaker bar, extension, socket, and cheater pipe to leave in the truck. Forget 1/2"-drive, you'll break it before you loosen the first lugnut.

'06 GMC C2500HD RCLB gasser 4.10:1, 4L80E, custom camshaft
'84 Trans Am 6.2 diesel, 700R-4, custom Class-3 receiver
'69 F350 dually. GM 6.2 diesel, turbo, 700R-4, NP208 all pending.

snowdance

State of Jefferson

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/20/12 05:21am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

First thought, get road service. It works on your cars and RV. But if you must change one have a good bottle jack. 8 or more tons and 1 jack stand 8 + tons. Be sure both will fit under the rig and change rear tires once at home where you have time and room to learn and see what wrenches ect you need. I have also had to use these things to remove wire, rope and tie down straps that were in the road that I could not miss so had to cut them off my axles ect. So good sidecuts ect are also good tools.

If you have a flat get off the road where you are safe. Call for service. But if you must change it at least you know the drill.. Like others said flats never happen in flat, dry, areas with rooom to work. Do not drive on a rear flat it will come apart most times and tear up far more stuff than you may think. Do not risk your life to change it to save a buck or two.

In our 40 plus years of travel we have seen several people killed trying to change tires beside the road.

Snowdance

We spent most of our money traveling... Just wasted the rest..

Chevy 7.4 Vortex
2000 Jamboree 23b Rear Kitchen

http://www.flickr.com/photos/snowdance38

boogie_4wheel

SLC, Utah

View Profile

Posted: 02/20/12 05:36am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you get a flat on a dual you can usually run it to the next exit, unless the tire has come apart and you risk vehicle damage. A simple loss of air and the tire will stay on the rim (but it will warm up), but you can make it to the next exit to take care of the problem in a safer location.

As already said numerous times, on a fullsize truck, the inner and outer tire are held on by the same lug nuts.

2005 2500 Cummins/48RE/3.73, QCLB, 4wd, BigHorn, Edge Juice w/ CTS + Turbo Timer, ISSPro Oil and LP pressure gauges in cubby hole, GDP 20/2 filters on frame rail, Custom Diesel Steering Box Brace
'10 Forest River Shockwave Toy Hauler 21'
Honda EU3000I Genny

NewsW

US

View Profile

Posted: 02/20/12 07:35am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I hope super singles start to show up for the light truck market.

rjstractor

Auburn, WA

View Profile

Posted: 02/20/12 09:54am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

whisperide wrote:

Forget 1/2"-drive, you'll break it before you loosen the first lugnut.

If you are breaking a 1/2" drive, your lug nuts are way too tight.

1998 Gulfstream Ultra B/H Ford E450 V10
2005 Chevy 2500HD 6.0 w/ Maxidump insert
2006 Ford Escape Hybrid
1998 Saturn SL2 toad
2012 VW Jetta S

45Ricochet

North Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/20/12 10:29am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I change wheels twice a year for winter/summer seasons, it's a pretty straight forward operation. Never done it with the 5er hitched up. Think I would unhitch before changing any tire.

06 Ram 3500 CC LB Laramie 4x4 Dually 5.9 Cummins Smarty Jr 48RE Jacobs brake
GVWR 12,200 RAWR 9350
06 Grand Junction 34' High profile 15500 GVWR 3200 pin Mor/ryde 5500 Onan genny Dual A/C Wet bolts
27' Hallett 502, 500HP

Gunpilot77

Killeen, Tx

View Profile

Posted: 02/20/12 02:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I can't believe all those who caution not to drive on a flat to a safe area. I have had a few flats on my duelly over the last 887,000 miles. A couple of times I had my 5er hooked up, it has about a 2500 pound pin weight. Every time I have had a flat, inner or outer, I discovered it during a rest stop. That means I had been driving with a flat for ???????????? miles. That is the beauty of a duelly, there is already a spare tire installed. The tires were never hot to the touch, the flat tire would just push in when I checked them due to lack of air pressure. Fortunately, I have never had a flat on the front while motoring down the road, but if I do I will pull off the highway as far as possible before I stop moving. I am also able to change my own tires. Waiting for roadside assistance could be hours, but it takes about 20 minutes to change a tire.

Fifth wheel pulled with a pick-up

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Changing rear flat tire on a Dually
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS