RV.Net Open Roads Forum: RVing with Disabilities and General Health Issues: diabetic neuropathy

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing with Disabilities and Ge...

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
emzee

california

View Profile

Posted: 02/19/12 08:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Does anyone in here have this or know someone that does? My dh has had this for years and we found out last year it has progressed to 80% in his feet and lower legs. He has started taking medication to ease any discomfort at night, which he says helps. I wondered how you felt when driving or walking and how it affects you in your everyday life. It has affected my husbands balance when not on flat surfaces, also stooping down or crouching down is a certain fall down. Just wondering if any out there suffer from this and if you take meds to help it. Thanks!!

Johno02

Lexington, TN USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/19/12 08:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes, I have it, but not that bad, yet. No medication so far.

Noel and Betty Johnson
2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 wife

Crazy Ray

Monroe,La

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/19/12 09:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes, I have it and my feet feels like they are on FIRE all the time. My Dr tells me it is getting worse. Plus I have nerve damage from Agent Orange in both legs.

RET ARMY 1980,DW Donna,"Tiny" (furkid). Class A, 2007 Bounder 35E, Ford V10 w/Steer Safe, 4SAMS 6V, 525W Solar , TriStar 45 Controller,Tri-Metric 2020,Yamaha 2400, TOW: Honda CRV. Ready Brake. "Living Our Dream". NASCAR #11,14,18,20 LOVE CO,NM,AZ

afraid of bears

Prince George Area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/19/12 09:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

emzee,

I have neuropathy as well. I sent you a private message.

Joy

Henderson KY 42420

View Profile

Posted: 02/19/12 09:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes, Don has it. He developed Marie-Tooth arterioitis(sp?) in his right foot. All the bones & cartiledge softened &/or broke a couple of years ago. He had to stay off his feet for several months until the foot stabilized. Now the foot bends in from the ankle to the mid point and then bends out. He has to have special made shoes and now has a brace on the right foot from the sole to his knee on the right leg. His balance is not very good and he cannot walk more than a few fee without getting winded due to his COPD. He uses a cane or walker, depending on where he wants to go. He also has a scooter for any outside distance - can get along for now without a handicap chair. He has no feeling in either foot but he can still drive. He did develop a sore on one toe that wouldn't heel, plus the toe next to it was hurting him because it turned in too much and he has gout in a toe on the other foot. A marvelous foot doctor here in the RGV valley did some minor surgery and removed a small bone from each of the two toes and drained the gout on the other and that helped him a lot. We had been told by 2 Drs at home that there was nothing to do for the two unless he wanted to remove the first joint on each toe which is not a good idea for diabetics sinde they do not heel well, as you know. He also has had open-heart surgery & stents and a knee replacement (left knee) so it is nearly impossible for him to bend anywhere! I do everything but the driving now and will take over that the first time I feel he is not capable. We plan to RV as long as we can, we just do not know how long that will be!! PM me if I can answer any other questions. I will answer but the servicehere is poore so it may take a few days!!

See ya' down the road!

Don-SCPO USN Ret.Corpsman
Joy-Ret.Off.Mgr.
Maggie-Chihuahua
Chrissie-Chihuahua
Lucy-Jack/Rat
'06 42' Allegro Bus DP
'06 Saturn Vue

LIFE ISN'T ABOUT HOW TO SURVIVE THE STORM BUT HOW TO DANCE IN THE RAIN.

Chuck&Gail

In the Colorado Mountains

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/19/12 10:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wife has it. Makes it so she can't walk more than a few hundred feet. The farther she walks the more it hurts. We take a handicap scooter with us when we travel, which helps A LOT.

For stability, try a cane. Sounds weird, but it works. Google fashionablecanes.com, they have nice ones.

Note doing strength training has helped her tremendously. We do it twice a week. Note aerobics is also ok, but a completely different thing. Ask a trainer.

Chuck
Wonderful Wife
Australian Shepherd
2010 Ford Expedition TV
2010 Outback 230RS Toybox, 5390# UVW, 6800# Loaded
Not yet camped in Hawaii, 2 Canada Provinces, & 2 Territories
I can't be lost because I don't care where this lovely road is going

old guy

Oregon (pronounced Or e gun)

View Profile

Posted: 02/19/12 10:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have it too. mild case, have been off my feet up to a week at a time. Dr gave me prescription for Neurontin generic is Gabapentin 300 MG cap, taken three times daily. this stuff is same thing they give you if you have epilepsy. so far it has helped me. once in a while I feel pain coming back so DR told me to take a fourth pill for two or three days. that helps too. this pill side effects are not good for some people. let Dr know if you have any side effects

agesilaus

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/20/12 07:56am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a very mild case and have found that 1000 units of B-12 seems to mostly eliminate any symptoms. I am not some sort of vitamin fanatic and as I mentioned I only have a mild symptoms of tingling and numbness on the soles of my feet.

Glendale Titanium 29E34TS fifth wheel
2012 Ford F-350 4WD Lariat 6.7L
PullRite OE Series Super5th 18K
Superbumper

Grammie

North Carolina

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/20/12 09:52am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I also have this. Went to Target and bought some Walk Fit inserts for my shoes. Amazing !!!! Balance is close to 100% and I can walk so much better. I also have Charcot Marie Tooth disease which affects my walking but the inserts are amazing. Give them a try. Only $20.00 at target. Check them out on the computer. Just type in walk fit. Good luck and God Bless !!!!!

Dream Catcher

wannavolunteerFT

South Georgia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/20/12 11:19am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Joy, How in the world do you feel it is safe for your DH to drive if he has no feeling in his feet? I don't have neuropathy (thank goodness), but don't even feel like I am safe driving on the days my knees are giving me serious pain. When I get stiff, I feel like it could affect my reaction time.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing with Disabilities and Ge...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS