RV.Net Open Roads Forum: RVing with Disabilities and General Health Issues: diabetic neuropathy

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing with Disabilities and Ge...

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
bsinmich

Holland, MI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/20/12 11:29am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dw & I both have some neuropathy. Hers is from the Chemo when she had breast cancer and mine is diabetic. Vitamin B6 was prescribed for her on it works for me also. I use a walker for short distances and I feel much more secure with that in front of me. I carry a scooter in the back of the Vue for longer trips. I have lost 60 # and that has helped a little also. I was 5'11 1/2" and 295#. Now I am 5'8" and 235#. I am afraid of losing anymore because I don't want to get much shorter. I started out as a tall fat guy and ended up as a short fat guy.

2003 Newmar Mountain Aire, Workhorse W22, 2008 Saturn Vue, Falcon 5250, & US Gear Unified Tow Brake

mgh122

PA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/20/12 11:50am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bsinmich wrote:

Dw & I both have some neuropathy. Hers is from the Chemo when she had breast cancer and mine is diabetic. Vitamin B6 was prescribed for her on it works for me also. I use a walker for short distances and I feel much more secure with that in front of me. I carry a scooter in the back of the Vue for longer trips. I have lost 60 # and that has helped a little also. I was 5'11 1/2" and 295#. Now I am 5'8" and 235#. I am afraid of losing anymore because I don't want to get much shorter. I started out as a tall fat guy and ended up as a short fat guy.

Good to see neuropathy doesn't affect your sense of humor! LOL

Mike & Peg
Aint' life grand!!
'05 Discovery 39S
'04 Grand Cherokee Freedom, M&G, Roadmaster Sterling
http://discovery-on-the-road.blogspot.com/
Zeus the Wonder Dog
"makes you wonder doesn't he"

emzee

california

View Profile

Posted: 02/20/12 12:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

LOL!!!! I enjoyed reading that too bsinmich. Just think though, if you hadn't lost the weight, you would have been a short REALLY FAT guy!!!! Maybe it was the fat on the bottom of your feet that added the inches?

I appreciate all your feedback, it's unfortunate that so many have to deal with this but at the same time good to have people to share with. Dh takes the gabapentin 300 mg too, it helps. Thanks again.

Yellowboat.

Auburn, WA

View Profile

Posted: 02/20/12 01:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have diabetic neuropathy in both feet. I was exposed to Agent Orange in Vietnam. Around 2001 my feet began to burn at night. I would uncover my feet at night trying to keep them cool. I searched the internet and found people that were using Alpha Lipoic Acid for diabetic neuropathy. After I started taking ALA my feet no longer burn at night. Every now and then my feet will burn a little during the day and I use Hydrocortisone Cream.

I take 600 mgs of Alpha Lopoic Acid each day and ALA keeps my feet from burning most of the time. ALA can cause stomach upset in some people. I buy my ALA at Walmart but it can be found in a lot of other drug stores. At Walmart 75 200mg capsules cost about $8.00.

My wife also has neuropathy in both feet caused by Charcot Marie Tooth disease. Her neuropathy is much worse than mine. She started falling down a lot. About 10 years ago she had an ankle foot orthotic (AFO) made for her left foot and it helped her a lot. After she got the AFO I no longer had to worry about her falling down. Recently she had an AFO made for her other foot.

Safe Travels.

JD

* This post was edited 02/20/12 01:33pm by Yellowboat. *

2005 Winnebago Sightseer on a 2006 Ford F53 Chassis
2009 Saturn VUE
Mac our Pom
JD & Kathy

bsinmich

Holland, MI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/20/12 06:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

emzee wrote:

LOL!!!! I enjoyed reading that too bsinmich. Just think though, if you hadn't lost the weight, you would have been a short REALLY FAT guy!!!! Maybe it was the fat on the bottom of your feet that added the inches?

I wore size 11 shoes EE for years and now I am up to 11 1/2 EE. So much for fat feet.

RoadLife

New Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 02/20/12 06:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DH has it - vietnam. (If your dh is a Vietnam vet and is diabetic then he should apply for veterans disability if he hasn't already.)

As folks have mentioned before, Alpha Lipoic Acid helps with the neuropathy. I buy 600 mg pills online. It has helped DH a lot - he has not complained about the burning in a long time.

ROADLIFE

RoadLife USA 2014 Blog

2003 40' Allegro BUS - 2 slides
2013 Ford F150 XLT 4X4 OffRoad 2009 RAV4
Shasta - Australian Shepherd; Boomer - Brittany

emzee

california

View Profile

Posted: 02/20/12 08:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

roadlife, dh isn't a vet, I'll look up Alpha Lipoic Acid and see what it says.

bsinmich, blew my theory then lol!!

bsinmich

Holland, MI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/21/12 05:35am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I only saw the last part on TV the other night but one fellow said that he would take some jalapeno pepper pieces out of his freezer and rub them on his feet for relief. I may have been using them on the wrong end.

emzee

california

View Profile

Posted: 02/21/12 11:31am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I wonder if jalapeno peppers would be in the same category as bee stings, I remember that became popular, but can't remember what it was for.

doc brown

Redondo Beach, CA,

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/21/12 12:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Curious. Has anyone tried Marijuana? I'm a Type 1 (LADA) and my doc has this in mind at some point.

Steve,Kathy,Josh & Morpheus the Basenji
2004 40' TSDP Country Coach Inspire DaVinci
350 Cummins, 3000 Allison
2008 Wrangler X Rubicon/Blue OX Tow Bar/Ready Brake

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing with Disabilities and Ge...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS