RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Using Gray water to flush Black tank.

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Using Gray water to flush Black tank.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
mlts22

Austin, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 02/20/12 06:16am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a macerator pump, so I hook it up, dump the black, power the pump off, then pull the grey, let that go into the black tank in efforts to dislodge TP and such, then drain that. Works well so far.

TenOC

On the road -- Full time

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/20/12 01:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Why or Why do people want to flush the black water .. ,

I have full timed for almost 5 years and NEVER flushed the tank. Driving from one camp site the the next with a little water in the tank "flushes" the tank at the new campsite. I have inspected the tank by looking down the toilet with a flashlight and it is surprising clean at at the new campsite.

Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos

RTrider

London, Ontario, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 02/20/12 07:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My setup has one valve for the grey and one for the black flowing thru one drain connection.

Like everyone else I drain the black first. When drained, I leave it open and open the grey for a short time to let the grey drain out the drain and also into the black as well. While there is plenty of pressure from the grey, I again close it, allowing the black tank to drain once again. It is amazing how much extra stuff comes out of the black tank during this second drain. When empty again I close the balck, then I open the grey and drain the remaining grey water.

Problably an over reaction to draining, but I did once have a black water problem when loaning out the trailer once and I do not want to go thru that again.

To each his own.

2011 Jayco Eagle Super Lite 298RLS (Sold)
2010 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Duramax Diesel LB/SRW (sold)
Equalizer Hitch, 1200 lb bars (Sold)
2010 Honda NT700A.
Rampage winch loader for bike in back of TV (Sold)
Some Pictures

rexlion

Broken Arrow OK

View Profile

Posted: 02/20/12 07:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I use a Flush King. It has the knife valve, plus a water hose attachment. I can use it to run the gray water into the black tank, then use it to run clear water into the black tank for extra rinsing.

Mike G.
2008 Toyota Highlander
sold trailer, shopping for another

facory

Georgia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/20/12 05:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I use the drain connection that allows you to hook up a water hose to black flush the black tank. It's amazing what comes out, especially left over toilet tissue. This way you don't use soapy water that can accumulate on the tank's gauge. It's been working for me for 4 years now and my inside black tank gauge still reads accurately. Of course, we have never put solid human waste in our tank. We save that for the bath house.

Travel with fresh water and a solvent, like "Grease Lighting", in the water. Use about a cup for 5 gals. Empty when you arrive at the CG. Cleans the tank real well.

2008 Cruiser RV Fun FinderXtra
Ford F150 Lariat 4x4 SuperCrew 5.4L 6.5' Bed 150" WB 3.73
Schwinn Mountain Bike

Charltons

Battle Ground, WA

View Profile

Posted: 02/20/12 02:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TenOC wrote:

Why or Why do people want to flush the black water .. ,

I have full timed for almost 5 years and NEVER flushed the tank. Driving from one camp site the the next with a little water in the tank "flushes" the tank at the new campsite. I have inspected the tank by looking down the toilet with a flashlight and it is surprising clean at at the new campsite.

I do the same put 5-10 gallons in the black tank and dump when I get back home or to the next campground. Never had any odors or build up..

2012 Dodge Ram 2500 Crew Cab 4X4 TCD
2012 Keystone Sprinter 311BHS

mobeewan

Hampton, Va

View Profile

Posted: 02/22/12 12:44am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I bought twist on knife valve that has a male bayonet fitting on one side and a female bayonet on the other side to add to my hydro flush to make my own flush king. I have connected it to the dump connection alone and then connected the hose for back flushing with the grey water tank when flushing water was unavailable. I dumped the black then closed the twist on valve and opened the grey until the flow almost stopped then closed the grey and opened the twist on valve again. Then repeated, then flushed the hose with the remainder of the grey tank. Didn't clean the black tank as good as rinsers of having a water source available but worked well enough for the time being since I was going to be filling the black tank again the hard way anyway before I got home.

rgolding

Southern Illinois

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/23/12 06:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ktmrfs wrote:

Bob/Olallawa wrote:

Add another knife valve near the end of the rv system where the waste hose attaches. close the new valve after the black has drained, open the gray allowing it to flow into the black tank, close the gray and open the new valve to drain the black again. Unless you have two complete different dump places this works well.

x2. I just put a twist on gate valve on the dump tube when I dump. close the
1) open twist on, open black, drain
2) close twist on, leave black open, open grey
3) when equalized, close grey, open twist on, dump black
4) close black, open the grey to finish emptying.

when done, remove the twist on and store it with all the dump stuff

BTW, if the grey gets full on you, you can use the same "trick" to dump grey into black and give you some more room in the grey tank.

I think this is a great idea, but why do you take it off? Thanks for sharing.

Smooth Sailing,
Ric and Jan

2005 ARCTIC FOX 30U "Life's Good!"
2009 Chevy 2500HD Diesel w/ Allison Transmission

mlts22

Austin, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 02/20/12 07:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

+1... Letting the grey tank backflush into the black and take out stuff blocking it, mainly TP is a lot easier than trying to backflush through the hose. Where I'm staying, water pressure is low, so a backflush through the macerator pump won't do the job (I've tried.)

If I were on the road more often, this would be less of an issue -- most CGs have a lot better water pressure, so I can backflush at the dump site, or I can use city water, fill up both tanks, then dump them, which will do a good job at making sure all is clear. If on the road, I can also dump a bunch of bags of ice down the toilet to abrade off anything sticking on the bottom/sides.

mefly2

MT

View Profile

Posted: 02/22/12 05:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Same for us ... leave cap in place and use existing two valves. No extra valve needed on our rig.

>>> mefly2 <<<
AirStream Flying Cloud / EQ hitch
Ram Crew 6.7 Cummins HO Diesel

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Using Gray water to flush Black tank.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts