|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing

> No Brakes

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
RJsfishin

Winston Or.

View Profile

Posted: 02/20/12 12:35am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just completed 2200 miles towing a Liberty w/o brakes. I drove a little defensively considering the extra stopping load. I didn't have any problems even tho I had to come down on the brakes quite hard a couple times, my stopping power seemed to be quite adequate. I was more impressed w/ the braking power than I was the handling when changing lanes and curves in the mountains, etc. It seems like when I'm full of gas and water, I get the sense of the tail trying to wag the dog. But I am a short WB w/ quite a bit of overhang.

I am not recommending anyone to toad w/o brakes, just telling what seemed to work ok for me.

Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 400 watt inv, 2 12v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KingDome/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters, and towing a Dodge GCV, or a Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

Golden_HVAC

Fulltime, CA, USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/20/12 12:51am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi,

A slick lawyer will tear you to pieces if he reads this after finding a client that was injured when they run into your RV while you are towing.

Why not do what I did and install a junkyard cruise control motor on the Jeep? It will only cost about $35 and 4 hours of your time. The CC motor pulls the cable to the floor, and applies the power brakes on the Jeep. Yes it is helpful to have a gas engine RV to pull the toad, but you can use a vacuum pump if using a Diesel Pusher.

Fred.

ricklord2001

Green Cove Spr, Fl

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/20/12 05:09am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I towed a Kia Sportage (like a Tracker) before I got my Jeep and had the Brute Ready Brake System. One time I had a problem with the Brake cable and ran for a short time without it there was a huge difference in stopping distance. The Kia was very light and I still noticed a significant difference. In most states it's the law that you have a braking system and a break away system when towing that much weight.
You never need it until you do need it then it's to late.
From my experience it is well worth it to get the braking system it wouldn't take a slick lawyer but a 1st year law student to win a large judgement (probably criminal also) against you if don't have the required equipment.
Many people told me I could get away with out brakes but I went ahead and had them installed for safety and legal reasons.
I don't mean this as a slam just sharing my experience.

past-MIdirector

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 02/20/12 07:21am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You said it yourself that you had to come down on the brakes harder. Having owner a 91 Chevy frame with a 454 on a Southwind and towed a small trailer w/o brakes with golf cart and other items at about a 1/3 the weight (1500lbs) of your Jeep. I could tell the difference real easy of the added weight. It adds quite a bit to your stopping distance and added brake wear plus the added heat build up on the rotors to stop your rig safely.
You are not saving any thing by not have a brake system for your Jeep cause it's costing you in earlier brake overhaul of your chassis. In a panic stop you will either not stop fast enough or damage your brakes.
I now have a Workhorse chassis W-22 with larger brake pads and heavier rotors and I still would not tow anything over 2000 lbs without brakes.

mowermech

Billings, MT

View Profile

Posted: 02/20/12 07:44am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"A slick lawyer will tear you to pieces if he reads this after finding a client that was injured when they run into your RV while you are towing."

"...after THEY run into YOUR RV..." Perhaps you want to read that and think about what you just said! I'm not sure, but I think it is backwards!
Can you cite ANY cases where this kind of lawsuit has actually happened, or is it just another "scare tactic"? Sure, it possibly COULD happen, but how often HAS it happened?

"In a panic stop you will either not stop fast enough or damage your brakes."
How often do YOU have to make a "panic stop"? Thinking back over my 50+years of driving, I find that such incidents are very rare. The ones that I can remember wishing I COULD have made were all when NOT towing anything, usually when a deer jumped out in front of me. In 2 of those cases I hit the deer before I could get my foot on the brake pedal!
Another "scare tactic", perhaps?
YES, braking on a towed load IS a good idea! But, it would serve the cause better to present FACTS (if you can) rather than attempting to frighten people with possibilities! Yes, I mean "possibilities" as opposed to "probabilities". While the incidents proposed are POSSIBLE, the probability is that they will never happen.

CM1, USN (RET)
2002 Fleetwood Southwind 32V, Ford V10
Toad 1: '06 PT Cruiser, Kar Kaddy dolly
Toy (and Toad 2): 2001 Dodge QC SWB, 360 Magnum, Auto, 4X4
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

paulcardoza

Southeastern Massachusetts

View Profile

Posted: 02/20/12 07:50am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm 55,000lbs with a 4,000lb Jeep out back. Every time I hook up the Brake-Buddy and find myself asking why I'm wasting my time with it........ Just habit from when I was only 25,000lbs with the same toad.

I think I'm more paranoid about ensuring that the toad can stop itself in the event of a breakaway, even though I have a better chance of hitting the lottery, than of that happening.

Paul & Sandra
New Bedford, MA
2014 Heartland Cyclone 4100 King

enblethen

Moses Lake, WA

View Profile

Posted: 02/20/12 08:04am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RJ:
Sounds like you are real tail heavy when loaded up.
I would go down and talk with Henderson lineup in Grants Pass. You may need to add a leaf in rear springs or get a larger ani sway bar in the rear.

No comment about brakes!

Bud
USAF Retired
Suzuki XL7 pushing Pace Arrow

Beverley&Ken

Tottenham,Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 02/20/12 09:37am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We just towed 1400miles without the BrakeBuddy (failure at the start of our trip). We noticed that 90% of the time the braking was OK, but in heavy traffic and some heavier than normal braking we could feel the difference. I would not want to fined out the difference during a panic stop. Hopefully the Brake Buddy will be repaired/returned for the trip home.

Beverley and Ken

2006 Winnebago Outlook 29B E-450.
2012 Honda CR-V AWD
Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar and Brake Buddy Vantage.

enblethen

Moses Lake, WA

View Profile

Posted: 02/20/12 09:54am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OP understands the importance of braking. He was just commenting on his.
He asked the question about tail wagging the dog, not for comments on braking.

ernestfortier

Palmdale, Calif.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/20/12 10:04am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mowermech wrote:

"A slick lawyer will tear you to pieces if he reads this after finding a client that was injured when they run into your RV while you are towing."

"...after THEY run into YOUR RV..." Perhaps you want to read that and think about what you just said! I'm not sure, but I think it is backwards!
Can you cite ANY cases where this kind of lawsuit has actually happened, or is it just another "scare tactic"? Sure, it possibly COULD happen, but how often HAS it happened?

"In a panic stop you will either not stop fast enough or damage your brakes."
How often do YOU have to make a "panic stop"? Thinking back over my 50+years of driving, I find that such incidents are very rare. The ones that I can remember wishing I COULD have made were all when NOT towing anything, usually when a deer jumped out in front of me. In 2 of those cases I hit the deer before I could get my foot on the brake pedal!
Another "scare tactic", perhaps?
YES, braking on a towed load IS a good idea! But, it would serve the cause better to present FACTS (if you can) rather than attempting to frighten people with possibilities! Yes, I mean "possibilities" as opposed to "probabilities". While the incidents proposed are POSSIBLE, the probability is that they will never happen.

Great post. I agree. I use Brake Buddy most times. If I'm only going to the nearby State campground (14 miles away) I sometimes do not hook up the BB. Also please note the post by "Past-MIDirector" " You said it yourself that you had to come down on the brakes harder" He said" I had to come down on the brakes quite hard a couple times." Like stop fast. Not that the toad was causing him to push the brakes harder.

Ernie Fortier
99 Bounder 34V
2 honda 2K paralled (for economy)
5.5 Onan onboard
96 Geo Tracker 4x4 Auto. convertable

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing

> No Brakes
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing