|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> EZ Lube Axles

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
padave

Richland PA

View Profile

Posted: 02/20/12 04:17am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When do you add grease to your EZ lube axles and what do you use?

wife and 2 daughters
2012 Ford F150 SCrew 4x4 Max Tow
2011 Lacrosse 318bhs
Equalizer
former:
Nissan Titan
Rockwood Roo 233
Coleman Westlake

4*phun*2

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 02/20/12 04:49am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If it did i would grease them once a year or every 10,000 miles with this. Mobile 1
You nee to lift each wheel and spin it while you are injecting the grease.

Glenn & Karen
'08 Chevy LT 3500 HD 4x4 CC LB DRW (nice hips)
'06 F350 4X4 Lariat CC LB DRW (nice hips) retired
'09 Victory Lane 38SRV Toy Hauler
'02 HD Road King FLHRCI KRUZN
'04 F150 XLT Super Crew
Our Toys

ktmrfs

Portland, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 02/20/12 09:12am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I lube mine before my long spring and fall trips, with a couple of squirts of approved grease. As mentioned spin the tires while lubing, that means lifting the axle.

2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison

coolbreeze01

Redding, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 02/20/12 10:31am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

eddie3260 wrote:

acceptable greases

Are you trying to confuse us with facts?? Excellent post

I grease mine once a year with Chevron EP2.

2008 Dodge 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

eddie3260

Florence, al

View Profile

Posted: 02/20/12 04:49am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

acceptable greases

chuggs

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/20/12 10:10am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kendall Super BLU...because it looks cool!

If you put your axle underwater (IE boat trailer) then use the EZ Lube port. The idea is to displace all the air in the hub so that when you dip the axle underwater...there is no air pocket to contract and suck in water. You really don't need to do this with an RV axle.

I recommend ordering new grease seals, cotter pins...and preferably having spare sets of Bearing cones/races just in case you find a worn bearing...(scored, pitted, or scorched)

Pull you hubs, remove the bearings, clean them completely...and inspect them. You will have to destroy the grease seal in order to remove the rear bearing. Replace the worn bearing...repack the bearing...replace the rear grease seal...reinstall you hub...and go another 10,000 miles.

To me...the whole idea behind the EZ-Lube is to routinely push enough grease thru the hub to see if any emulsion has formed (grease-water mixture)...indicating your hubs leaked water when you launched your boat. Great for that application. Just a unwarranted risk for the RV axle. If you grease them...and grease leaks past the rear seal...the grease can get all over your brake assemblys...and the only way you can see this is to remove the hubs to inspect --- why bother???

But that's just me.

Run your hubs...touch them from time to time to see if they're getting hot...and repack/inspect them on a regular basis (1 yr/10,000 miles whichever comes first) or so...

Atlee

Mechanicsville, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/20/12 10:58am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

chuggs wrote:

Run your hubs...touch them from time to time to see if they're getting hot...and repack/inspect them on a regular basis (1 yr/10,000 miles whichever comes first) or so...

Sort of hijacking the OP, but why are the bearings in trailers so short lived. The bearings on my car & truck certainly aren't pulled, inspected, and relubed once a year or 10K miles.

Why are TT bearings? Lesser quality? Poor spindles on the axles?

Erroll, Mary, Duffy the Badger Dog plus "Ollie"
"The Traveling Koala"
2012 Koala 21CS
2005 F150 Supercab 4x4, w/ 5.4L
And Equal-i-zer WDH/Sway Control

ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 02/20/12 11:49am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Atlee wrote:

chuggs wrote:

Sort of hijacking the OP, but why are the bearings in trailers so short lived. The bearings on my car & truck certainly aren't pulled, inspected, and relubed once a year or 10K miles.

Because it's just a CYA thing for the manufacturers. In reallity it just isn't needed. I used to go through them every year but when I got this last TT I realized that i had been wasting my time. I finally went through mine after about 40K miles and 7 years. It was a complete waste of time. They were still just like new and could have gone many more miles.
A person should check they're brakes and adjust them every year but if the bearings are done right, they probably only need to be gone through when the brakes are replaced.

Scott, Grace and Wesly
2003 Dodge 3500 4x4, 6 speed Cummins (lightly bombed),
2004 Forest River 25RKS many, many mods.
POS H0NDA eu2000i

ktmrfs

Portland, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 02/20/12 12:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Atlee wrote:

chuggs wrote:

I've asked the same question, haven't really heard any good answer. I suppose for the folks that use the trailer once each year for a 2 week vacation then let it sit for 50weeks, annual packing may be needed since grease more water/rust etc. may get on the spindles etc. But for myself, our trailer rarely sits more than a month between uses. gets 10K miles/year. Seems like if the bearings are quality and packed well, they should go 5 years or more without needing service.

And for every person I know that does the once/year routine, I know probably 10 that don't and go 5-10 years between service. Neither group has had any bearing failures.

Maybe a way for dealers to get some extra $$$ from service???

Macktee

Canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/20/12 12:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I personally would not use them. I would pull the wheels, check the brakes, and then pull the bearings and regrease by hand. I had an outfit that was supposed to do it by hand but instead, used the easy grease nipples and ended up getting the grease all over my brakes. What a mess. That was on my 5er. After that I always did my own. Macktee

04 Monaco Dynasty Diamond 1V ( Homer II)
2012 Ram 1500 4X4 Quad Cab towed
2013 Cargo Mate 28ft enclosed car hauler
2013 Hyundai Elantra GT
2010 Club Car Golf Car

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> EZ Lube Axles
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts