RV.Net Open Roads Forum: RVing with Disabilities and General Health Issues: Dupuytren's Disease

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing with Disabilities and Ge...

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
Cookielady

Tampa, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/20/12 08:46am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Anyone have Dupuytren's Disease, also known as Viking's Disease. It sometimes start as something called Trigger Finger. I have it in just one finger right now.
Not sure what they can do for it. I have heard surgery (no thank you) and now some kind of medication that just came out but I am not sure about that yet.

Motorhome Mama
http://www.worldisround.com/home/mhmama/index.html

ernestfortier

Palmdale, Calif.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/20/12 09:48am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had trigger finger in the middle finger of my right hand. It was painful at times. They did surgery. That wasn't too bad. Took only a few minutes. They asked if I wanted to watch. NO way. They put me out. My hand was back to normal in a few days. That was about one year ago and I'm still glad I went for the surgery.

Ernie Fortier
99 Bounder 34V
2 honda 2K paralled (for economy)
5.5 Onan onboard
96 Geo Tracker 4x4 Auto. convertable

Cookielady

Tampa, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/21/12 08:24am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I realize now that trigger finger and Dupuystren's disease are different but commonly confused so I apologize for that. I was watching TV and a doctor was talking about Dupuystren and said that it was similar to Trigger finger. I had to rewind to see where I made the error. Both are very similar.
I don't have Dupuystren's as of yet but have severe trigger finger. Since my grandfather was from Norway, it would not surprise me if I did get the Viking's disease in the future.
Hopefully, those that suffer with this disease will find relief and this new drug they were talking about really helps them.

Tiger4x4RV

Inland Empire, Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 02/20/12 10:29am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here is the U.S. National Library of Medicine info page on finger injuries and disorders. The NLM vouches for the quality of pages to which they link.

Under the Specific Conditions section of the page, there are links to several sites which have information about your condition. I hope this helps.

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/fingerinjuriesanddisorders.html

Dick_B

Palos Heights, IL USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/20/12 01:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think Dupuytres's Contracture and Trigger Finger are apples and oranges. DC causes the fingers to curl up into a fist and surgery is the only remedy. There is a Hand Center in Florida that uses needles to cut loose the bands that are drawing in the fingers.
My DC surgery was about 20 years ago and the fingers are still in good shape. Now the other hand is acting up.
BTW there is some heredity involved as both my Parents had DC.

Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two bikes (both Electric Schwinn's with motor assist)

CA POPPY

Santa Clarita, CA, USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/20/12 09:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cookielady wrote:

Anyone have Dupuytren's Disease, also known as Viking's Disease.

Yes, I've had Dupuytren's in my right hand for about ten years and although it is instantly visible to anyone looking for it (I can't put my hand flat on a table anymore because it has a cupping effect) it is progressing slowly. I thought it was interesting that they call it Viking's disease when my family history is mostly from England, Germany and Scotland. Then a little pursuing the matter on the web told me that the Nords invaded and occupied Scotland for 600 years! So there you go. A lot of us likely have Viking blood we never knew about. I don't know of anybody else in the family that has DC, however. My first symptom was a hard knot in the palm of my hand and then you could feel cords running up my fingers. I've read that some people have hands that distort to the point that they can't reach into a pocket and they accidentally poke themselves in the eye when they blow their nose, that kind of thing. I drop things all the time, too. I've read that Frank Sinatra and Ronald Reagan had DC. Worse than those symptoms, for me, is the basal joint (thumb) arthritis in my same hand. I am hoping to get by without surgery for either problem, although I definitely have limitations.

Judy & Bud (Judy usually the one talking here)
Darcy the Min Pin
2004 Pleasure-Way Excel TD
California poppies in the background

Scottiemom

South Dakota/Indiana

View Profile

Posted: 02/21/12 10:15am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Six months ago I developed a trigger finger on my right hand. It could be painful, especially at night. I researched and decided to try simple therapy. I bought a night splint to keep it immobile at night. Wore that for several months. My trigger finger is gone, which indicates to me that it may have been just an inflammation of that tendon. Glad it wasn't the more serious DC.

Dale

Dale Pace
Wife to Terry (Teacher's Pet)
Mom to Scotties, Butterscotch & Duchess
2006 Tiffin Phaeton 40'(Phaeton Place)
2003 Sport Trac Toad
2004 R-Vision Trail-lite 213 (MinnieMee)
Fulltiming since 2005

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/
Where are we?

Cookielady

Tampa, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/26/12 09:41am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dale, I have been trying the finger splint at night. Will wait and see if it does any good.
The problem with my hands makes it difficult to know what is going on. I have to take a cancer pill (Femara) for 5 years that really makes my hands and feet very painful. Actually it attacks all my joints but mostly the hands and feet. Because of this, I sometimes don't know if the pain is the pill or something else. This happened with my knee. I kept thinking that the pain I had in my knee was the pill and since x-rays didn't show anything, I went around with a broken leg for at least 3 years. Thankfully, my doctor decided that it was time to go in and see what was going on and found the cracks and the hole in my leg. This is why I am never sure if a pain is the pill or something really happening. Although, my trigger finger is definately not the pill.

Scottiemom

South Dakota/Indiana

View Profile

Posted: 02/24/12 07:32am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cookielady wrote:

Thanks Dale, I have to see my ortho doctor next week for my post op on the knee and will ask him about that. Mine is on my ring finger, left hand which is a nightmare for a happily married woman. I hate to not have my wedding ring on.

Well good luck. I have just started having more arthritis problems than ever before. Not unexpected and my Mom's hands look like a gnarled tree trunk. My younger sister's are much worse than mine, but my finger joints are swelling and deforming. Actually, I believe mine is more psoriatic arthritis. I am going to have to find a good rheumatologist, that's for sure. I took off my wedding ring in the spring as my joints starts to grow. I actually was having more trouble with the joint right under the nail. Before our son got married in November I had my ring made larger so I could wear it. Had to have it made 1 1/2 sizes larger. I keep close watch on the joints now because mine is a custom ring and cutting it off is something I don't want to do. They do make clasps that open up to fit over joints, then clip back together.

Let us know what your ortho doctor says!

Dale

Cookielady

Tampa, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/21/12 07:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks Dale, I have to see my ortho doctor next week for my post op on the knee and will ask him about that. Mine is on my ring finger, left hand which is a nightmare for a happily married woman. I hate to not have my wedding ring on.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing with Disabilities and Ge...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS