|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Full-time RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Full-time RVing

> Going Full time

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
sgtcoffey

Las Vegas, NV

View Profile

Posted: 02/20/12 09:20am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Morning all this is a two part post

We will be going full time after I return from deployment in about a year or so.
We are looking at getting a heartland Bighorn BH 3855FL.

1. Anyone had any real problems with Heartland or Bighorn 5th wheels?

2. We have talked to a few folks about using hay bales and skirting to keep the cold our from under the RV as well as helping insulate. Any one use this method or is shter something better.

Thanks to all

Mike & Carol

Here'n'There

Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/20/12 09:39am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hey Serge... thank you for your service and be safe wherever you are deployed to.

I don't own a Heartland / Bighorn etc, but do see A LOT of them on the roads and in the parks. I would guess that they MUST have a pretty good reputation for mid-range 5ers or there wouldn't be so many of them?

There are many on these boards more experienced with skirting than I so I will only offer a subjective opinion.. Hay bales... seems like an awfully "hillbilly" approach to the problem. PLEASE I meant no disrespect there. I guess it just depends on where you're at etc. Also those hay bales seem to represent a significant FIRE HAZARD don't ya think?

Here'n'There
2009 Carri-Lite 36SBQ 5th Wheel
2008 Dodge Ram 3500 Quad Cab Long Bed Diesel Dually
On the road with Here'n'There
Role of the C133 in Viet Nam

sgtcoffey

Las Vegas, NV

View Profile

Posted: 02/20/12 09:44am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here'N'There, T

Thanks for the good wishes. I was going to have skirting to hide the hay bales so it would not be seen so that would take the "Red Neck" or "Hill Billy" out of it

I do hope this is my last deployment I think that 5 is enough especialy when you have folks that have been in since 9/11 or before and they have not deployed yet.

Thanks

Mike & Carol

RoadLife

New Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 02/20/12 09:53am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The hay bales would attact bugs and wildlife that would get into your rv. Besides being a fire hazard. I would not do it. The standard way is to put skirting around the unit. I take it you are planning to stay in one place rather than travel.

ROADLIFE

RoadLife USA 2014 Blog

2003 40' Allegro BUS - 2 slides
2013 Ford F150 XLT 4X4 OffRoad 2009 RAV4
Shasta - Australian Shepherd; Boomer - Brittany

sgtcoffey

Las Vegas, NV

View Profile

Posted: 02/20/12 09:59am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RoadLife

We are going to be in on place for a while. An RV dearler told us about using Hay Bales. Is there insulated skirting avalable?

Alpenliter

Fulltimer: Wherever we are!

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/20/12 10:04am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sarge, what I have seen done on skirting, is to get some insulated foam board with some framing, then maybe a couple of electric light bulbs beneath for the really cold times. Some people cover over the foam board, others paint it. Good luck and welcome home!

My first Wife Linda, 45+years 2004 F-450 CC, DRW 6.0 Classy Chassis Upgrade Bulletproof Diesel upgrades 1997 33' Alpenlite 400 Watts Solar Lifetime Good Sam Member #39644174 Escapees SKP#89882 Vietnam Vet '67-'68 [

Note: Due to invalid formatting, all formatting has been ignored.

Chillyrodent

On the road

View Profile

Posted: 02/20/12 10:34am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've lived through and in hillbillier solutions than hay bales, but the insect comment gave me pause.

What we did in our class A (principles still apply): foam board cut to fit all around, covered by redneck skirting (tarp). Oh don't worry, the tarp matched our motorhome. Vulnerable areas (water, pump, etc.) were protected by incandescent lightbulbs hung from trouble lights. We weighted the skirting down to keep wind from creeping in under.

Thanks, and best to you and your family.

The Good Luck Duck

Finally Fulltiming

Summer: NYS Finger Lakes; Winter: Someplace warm

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/20/12 10:41am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The mice will absolutely LOVE the hay bales. Great nesting spots.

I had skirting on a trailer in a trailer park once. Everyone's cats thought it was just the greatest litter box ever!

PapPappy

Wilmington, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/20/12 11:50am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hey Sarge, Thanks for your service to our country!

While I haven't done this on our MH, I have seen many TTs that have set up with the foam-board that was cut to fit. What one guy did, was to lift the TT up an extra inch, then fit the boards under the trailer, then lower the TT onto them, so that they bowed a bit. No need to worry about them coming lose. You might want to trench a bit too, so that they stay in place.

You may also want to check with those mfgrs, to see if they offer a "cold weather" package, that would have extra insulation and tank heaters. It will cost extra, but be worth it in the long run, if you are going to be year-round in colder areas.

Where do you plan to stay....Las Vegas doesn't really seem like the kind of place you would have to worry about this issue?

Bill & Claudia / DD Jenn / DS Chris / GS MJ
Dogs: Sophie, Abby, Brandy, Kahlie, Annie, Maggie, Tugger & Beau
RIP: Cookie, Foxy & Gidget @ Rainbow Bridge.
2000 Winnebago "Minnie" 31C, Ford V-10
Purchased April 2008 FMCA# F407293
The Pets

cm

Dillon, CO USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/20/12 11:52am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you decide to use foam panels the best choice is Extruded polystyrene.

Expanded polystyrene - bead board - is the foam with the pebble like structure and is usually white. It is not as strong and has a lower R-value.

The other type that you will find is polyisocyanurate. It has a foil face. While it has a higher R-value it is not as durable.

Extruded polystyrene gives the best balance of R-Value, R5 per inch, and durability. It is available in different sizes, 2' x 8' and 4' x 8', are common sizes. Common thicknesses are 1 inch up to 3 inch thicknesses. When exposed to moisture and sunlight it will not break down like some of the other types of foam. It is even used as boat dock flotation.

The usual style you find at building material/lumberyards is 25 psi(possibly 30 psi). This will work good but check on pricing at commercial insulation wholesalers because they will probably stock a high load 40 psi and 60 psi version which will be little more durable if the price is reasonable.

You can even get a choice of color with extruded polystyrene. Dow Chemical Company's Styrofoam brand is blue. Owens Corning uses pink as their marketing color in their Formular Brand.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Full-time RVing

> Going Full time
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Full-time RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS