|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Aux. battery switch

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
captainbill727

Arizona

View Profile

Posted: 02/20/12 10:48am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2006 Tropicale 40' I'm not sure my aux battery switch is working. I don't hear a click when I push the switch as I have on every other motorhome that I've owned. I found a solenoid (right rear electrical compartment) that is labeled "coach battery, engine battery" It has power to both sides and a small yellow and black wire, which I assume is the control. Is there any way to test this, if it is the correct solenoid, or should I just replace it? Thanks in advance.

PapPappy

Wilmington, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/20/12 12:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

To test it, have someone activate the switch, and see if you can hear the solenoid "click"....
If you don't hear anything:
Put a meter across the yellow and black wires, and see what voltage you have? You shouldn't have any voltage until the switch is activated.
If you don't have voltage, there may be a problem with the switch, not the solenoid. Work your way backwards with the volt-meter, and see what you can find.

If you do hear something, or you have voltage to the solenoid...
Then disconnect one side (say the coach battery), and then put a meter on those connections (or the connection and ground), and activate the switch again. You should get the voltage to go from "0" to whatever the voltage is on the other side of the solenoid (the engine battery).
If that happens, it's working fine.

You may not be seeing much difference, because both batteries are fully charged, and there is not enough difference between their voltages. You may also have a very quiet solenoid

Good Luck

* This post was edited 02/20/12 01:57pm by PapPappy *

Bill & Claudia / DD Jenn / DS Chris / GS MJ
Dogs: Sophie, Abby, Brandy, Kahlie, Annie, Maggie, Tugger & Beau
RIP: Cookie, Foxy & Gidget @ Rainbow Bridge.
2000 Winnebago "Minnie" 31C, Ford V-10
Purchased April 2008 FMCA# F407293
The Pets

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 02/20/12 01:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

captainbill727 wrote:

2006 Tropicale 40' I'm not sure my aux battery switch is working. I don't hear a click when I push the switch as I have on every other motorhome that I've owned. I found a solenoid (right rear electrical compartment) that is labeled "coach battery, engine battery" It has power to both sides and a small yellow and black wire, which I assume is the control. Is there any way to test this, if it is the correct solenoid, or should I just replace it? Thanks in advance.
The labeling would lead me to believe that you found the battery isolator or emergency start solenoid. If that is the case you should see a small voltage drop across the solenoid when one battery is discharged and then when engaged the drop would approach 0V.

A second common latching solenoid is used as a battery cut off usually controlled by a switch near the door. This is used to turn off house power (maybe not the refer) when you leave the rig. The latching design means that it does not any power when engaged.

2009 Holiday Rambler 42 Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
2004 Honda CR-V

Bob

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Aux. battery switch
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS