|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Deciding on a 5th or bumber pull

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
MackinawMan

NW Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 02/20/12 02:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just a note, but we like the TT with the truck so we can use the bed of the truck to haul things with us, that we used to have to put in the trailer (we had an Excursion before the F350 truck).

Our truck has a matching cap, with 8 ft. bed so we can keep a LOT of stuff in the bed and it stays nice and dry that way.

That's a plus for us, everybody has their different needs and desires.

2000 Ford F350 XLT 7.3L PowerStroke Diesel CC 4x4 OffRoad SRW Long Bed
2008 Jayco Eagle 314BHDS (Momma Eagle)
Equalizer Hitch System (1400/14000lbs)
Prodigy Brake Controller
Curt XD Class V Receiver Hitch (1500/15000 lb)

TylerC

KY

View Profile

Posted: 02/20/12 03:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here is the sticker on the door. I don't see anything about max payload. Only GAWR. What am I missing?

Trying to get this picture thing to work

TylerC

KY

View Profile

Posted: 02/20/12 03:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MackinawMan wrote:

Just a note, but we like the TT with the truck so we can use the bed of the truck to haul things with us, that we used to have to put in the trailer (we had an Excursion before the F350 truck).

Our truck has a matching cap, with 8 ft. bed so we can keep a LOT of stuff in the bed and it stays nice and dry that way.

That's a plus for us, everybody has their different needs and desires.

Good point!

FoCoNoCo

Fort Collins, Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 02/20/12 07:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Get the ACTUAL weight of the truck and subtract that from the GVWR, that will give you payload capacity.

montanacamping

Montana

View Profile

Posted: 02/21/12 03:29am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a 2002 GMC crew cab with the 8.1, here is what my manual shows 3.73 gears max trailer 12,000 GCWR 20,000 4.10 gears max trailer 12,000 GCWR 22,000. The 8.1 trucks are differant than the 6.0 trucks, way heavier. I do not know why they have 2500 on the door because they are rated the same as the 8.1 3500 trucks of the same year. They are also rated the same as the Duramax 3500 in the same year. If it can be towed with a pickup you should be able to tow it.

2009 Jayflight G2
2005 Z71 Burb
2002 GMC 8.1 crewcab

archie780

Edmonton

View Profile

Posted: 02/24/12 08:07am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

* This post was edited 04/27/12 05:36am by archie780 *

mlts22

Austin, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 02/24/12 09:54am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Once you get the weight calculated and find trailers within your capacity, if you have the option for a fifth wheel, and don't mind sacrificing the truck bed space, go for it. Since fifth wheels have options for a built in generator and TTs don't (for the most part), that will help save space in the truck bed.

The key is finding the floor plan you like once you find something in your weight limits.

To help with water intrusion on slide-outs, have the rubber seals replaced every five years. The outside one is easy, the inside one is fairly easy, the one in the middle is a PITA. As an added barrier, consider a slide topper and a slide boot/sleeve, which adds a very effective barrier to water intrusion.

wannavolunteerFT

South Georgia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/25/12 08:18am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Whether you go with 5th wheel or bumper pull, spend some time in the ones you think you like. Try to answer questions like, can you go to bathroom during night without waking everyone? Can you comefortably use shower and toilet with bathroom door closed, so others than stay in trailer at same time? Can you watch TV (especially if you have bad weather) while meals are being prepared or other activites are happening? Can child play video games during bad weather without driving everyone else crazy? Can child go to bed and adults stay up? Is there enough storage space for those things you plan to leave in trailer? (you don't want to be hauling too much back and forth) If you are planning on living it at least half time, you need to be able to LIVE in it.

One big difference between 5ers and TT is the steps inside. Is bathroom up or down stairs from MBedroom? Is that an issue?

tdeal823

N.W. Ohio

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/26/12 06:00am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

montanacamping wrote:

I have a 2002 GMC crew cab with the 8.1, here is what my manual shows 3.73 gears max trailer 12,000 GCWR 20,000 4.10 gears max trailer 12,000 GCWR 22,000. The 8.1 trucks are differant than the 6.0 trucks, way heavier. I do not know why they have 2500 on the door because they are rated the same as the 8.1 3500 trucks of the same year. They are also rated the same as the Duramax 3500 in the same year. If it can be towed with a pickup you should be able to tow it.

Take pride in knowing you have a mule of a motor. That 8.1L (502ci) is a pulling machine. Way better than the 6.0L gas of similar years. Between all of our family we have had the 6.0L gas 8.1L gas and plenty of all generations of Duramaxes. The 8.1L will tow what ever you want.
The axle is the same as the 3500 trucks. I believe the rear springs, rims and factory tires limit you on your weight.

As for 5er or TT thats tough for me to tell you what you want.
We just switched from a Bunk House TT to a bunk house 5er last year.
Here are some things that come to mind.
5er, if you plan on going longer distances(tow better)
5er, normally more up scale options
5er, WAY MORE Storage!!!
5er, easier to manover in tight spaces
5er, roomier inside and taller
5er, more floor plan options to fit you and your family
5er, easier to hitch up
TT, normally lighter
TT, all one level (for those with problems with stairs)
TT, cheaper cost than equal length 5er
TT, shorter in height if you have inside storage with height limits

Thats all I can think of. For myself and my famliy we bought a 5th wheel and will never go back to a TT. We love it! Takes all the work out of camping(rving) its like pulling a nice hotel room behind you.

Good luck

* This post was edited 02/26/12 06:27am by tdeal823 *

2008 Silverado 2500HD DMax LTZ cc sb 4x4 EFILive tuned, Blocked, Deleted, Rerouted and removed B&W Turnover ball and 5th Companion
02 F250 4x4 Auto Ex LWB SRW 7.3L B&W, RideRite, 5"exhaust. TW6 chip. 195k
2011 Sabre 32BHOK-6

resmas

temporarily displaced Alaskan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/26/12 07:37am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What kind of gooseneck hitch do you have in the bed right now? If you have a B&W turnover ball, then you can simply get their Companion 5th wheel hitch that uses the same hole. It doesn't require rails to be mounted, and it leaves a clean bed. It breaks down into 2 parts for removal, so 1 person can easily do it.

We are a family of 5, and we have camped in fivers and toyhaulers. I definitely prefer the 5th wheel for many of the other reasons stated.

There are lighter weight bunkhouse fivers out there that your truck can handle. We had a Crossroads Cruiser M30QB with 4 bunks in the back that had a gross weight of 12,500. If you don't load it down like we did, you would be closer to 10K in weight, which is very doable.

2012 Dutchmen Voltage Epic 3795
2010 Dodge 3500 DRW MC
2009 GMC 2500 DA CC
2012 Smart-for-two (sometimes hitches a ride in the Voltage!)
2005 Sundowner Sunlite 777

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Deciding on a 5th or bumber pull
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS