|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Toy Haulers

Open Roads Forum  >  Toy Haulers

> Help me find a 5th Wheel Toyhauler

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
BIGDADDY650R

OVERBROOK, KANSAS

View Profile

Posted: 02/22/12 08:04am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This company will make what ever you want!
But it ain't cheap!

http://www.horizonsrv.com/motomover/floor-plans

2004 CHEV.2500 225/70R/19.5 , BD exhaust, and other goody's.
2004 40' KZ 3-SLIDE TOYHAULER
2007 RINCON
2008 RINCON
2011 RZR 800 LE. YELLOW(WHEN SHE LETS ME DRIVE IT!)

lawnspecialties

Home

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/22/12 09:07am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

taken wrote:

atomic_hogan wrote:

It looks like the F350 only has the 3.73 rear end from the spec sheet I am looking at. Is that ok or should i go with the F450? Thanks for the help/advice.

Jim

The 450 was a much heavier duty truck in model years 08-10 with the wide track front axle and bigger brakes. More like a medium duty truck in a pickups clothing. The new ones are more closely related to the 350.

Don't get me wrong. The '08 - '10 models look bigger largely because of the larger wheels. Plus, I think they're just prettier trucks.

But heavier duty? Nope.

The '11 Super Duties have even stronger frames. My 450 also has the Dana Super 60 versus the Dana 60 front axle on the 350s. It also has 14.53 inch front brakes and 15.35 inch rear brakes. The 350s have 13.66 inch front brakes and 13.39 inch rear brakes.

Not trying to take up for my truck. When I had my '09 350, I loved it and it was a work horse. But when advising the OP about truck choices, I just want to make sure he's getting the facts. When it comes to "heavy duty", the '08-'10 models have no advantage I see over the third generation models.

BIGDADDY650R

OVERBROOK, KANSAS

View Profile

Posted: 02/22/12 10:43am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Highjacked!

atomic_hogan

Las Vegas, NV, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/22/12 09:44am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MadMav wrote:

DanB-ON wrote:

I think the new Voltage 3795 has a king bed and either a 12' or 14' garage.

You are right on the king bed, but the garage is still 12'. Maybe someone can take a tape measure to one to verify for the OP.

Mav

Thanks. I really like the Voltage except for the island which doesn't look like it is an option to remove since the sink is in it. The islands are deal breakers. I am not a fan of them.

We are really liking the OR H345MPR. The side ramps are really nice for our setup. There is not much I am not liking about it.

I really appreciate all the help!

Jim

Jim & Wendy...and our Border Collies
Hogan, Callie, Shark, Helix, Jingo, Queue & Patch
RIP my best buddy Blue and our girl China
2012 Ford F450 Lariat, Open Range H345MPR, Trailersaver TS3

atomic_hogan

Las Vegas, NV, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/22/12 09:45am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

lawnspecialties wrote:

taken wrote:

atomic_hogan wrote:

It looks like the F350 only has the 3.73 rear end from the spec sheet I am looking at. Is that ok or should i go with the F450? Thanks for the help/advice.

Jim

The 450 was a much heavier duty truck in model years 08-10 with the wide track front axle and bigger brakes. More like a medium duty truck in a pickups clothing. The new ones are more closely related to the 350.

Don't get me wrong. The '08 - '10 models look bigger largely because of the larger wheels. Plus, I think they're just prettier trucks.

But heavier duty? Nope.

The '11 Super Duties have even stronger frames. My 450 also has the Dana Super 60 versus the Dana 60 front axle on the 350s. It also has 14.53 inch front brakes and 15.35 inch rear brakes. The 350s have 13.66 inch front brakes and 13.39 inch rear brakes.

Not trying to take up for my truck. When I had my '09 350, I loved it and it was a work horse. But when advising the OP about truck choices, I just want to make sure he's getting the facts. When it comes to "heavy duty", the '08-'10 models have no advantage I see over the third generation models.

Thanks - Interesting info to consider.

Jim

MadMav

Colorado Springs, CO

View Profile

Posted: 02/22/12 10:36am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

lawnspecialties wrote:

But heavier duty? Nope.

This is not the word from my research. The '08-10 F450 was built on a 2.5 ton frame. The current ones are on the same new 2 ton frame as the F350. The new DRW F350 and F450 have the same axle ratings(6k front, 9.65k rear) which are lower than the earlier ones I believe. The brakes are bigger on the F450 and this is a plus, but that is the only difference in them. The current 450 even has a lower carrying capacity than the F350. Real difference is breaks and gearing to give it the higher towing capacity.

Mav

"A fifth wheel trailer is a bi-level towable mobile home."

atomic_hogan

Las Vegas, NV, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/22/12 09:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BIGDADDY650R wrote:

This company will make what ever you want!
But it ain't cheap!

http://www.horizonsrv.com/motomover/floor-plans

Thanks BigDaddy. This looks like an awesome option.

Jim

lawnspecialties

Home

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/22/12 02:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

taken wrote:

....It's funny you would think someone here would be so naive to think something's bigger due to the wheels. LOL. You gave me a chuckle there.

The newer Super Duties went to a 17" wheel to increase maximum speed allowed. That makes them "appear" taller. My new 450 sits exactly 3" lower than my '09 350 did at the rear bumper.

That was what I was referring to.

* This post was edited 02/22/12 02:32pm by lawnspecialties *

taken

Western MA

View Profile

Posted: 02/22/12 10:43am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MadMav wrote:

lawnspecialties wrote:

But heavier duty? Nope.

This is not the word from my research. The '08-10 F450 was built on a 2.5 ton frame. The current ones are on the same new 2 ton frame as the F350. The new DRW F350 and F450 have the same axle ratings(6k front, 9.65k rear) which are lower than the earlier ones I believe. The brakes are bigger on the F450 and this is a plus, but that is the only difference in them. The current 450 even has a lower carrying capacity than the F350. Real difference is breaks and gearing to give it the higher towing capacity.

Mav

Exactly right. The 08-10 450 trucks were a great unit that was a touch heavier than current. Used ones with low miles are a hot commodity! So, to correct lawnspecialties, heavier duty....yup. It's funny you would think someone here would be so naive to think something's bigger due to the wheels. LOL. You gave me a chuckle there.

* This post was edited 02/22/12 10:51am by taken *

TV - 2012 F350 SC SB 4X4 6.7
TH - 2013 Heartland Road Warrior 30C

stsmark

Northern CA

View Profile

Posted: 02/22/12 11:08am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Atomic, don't know if you get up by Sacramento but La Mesa RV in Davis had one of those in stock last week when I drove past. :-) Their inventory is online.
Mark

Mark, Cathy and Zoey (aka The Golden Missle)
2011 F350 CCSB 6.7 (aka Frosty)
1993 Ski Nautique Closed Bow (aka Cal)
Lasher Sport ATH
Lasher Sport BTX

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Toy Haulers

> Help me find a 5th Wheel Toyhauler
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Toy Haulers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts