|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> Route from Colorado back to Southern California

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
MPond

Thousand Oaks, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/20/12 12:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We're planning to do a loop though Colorado this summer, and our last stop is Glenwood Springs. I'm still undecided about the trip home - back to Southern California.

Normally we take I-70 to I-15, or the byways that parallel that route such as UT-12. But we're going later in the year than we usually do, and will be driving home in the August heat, so I'm considering cooler alternatives.

One that has crossed my mind is heading North out of Green River, UT toward Salt Lake City, and then cutting across Northern Nevada to Lake Tahoe. Then coming south down 395, stopping in Mammoth Lakes, CA.

I've checked the average temps along I-80 in Northern Nevada, and they're in the low 90's, which is still better than the low-mid 100's that we'll see around Las Vegas on the southern route.

But I haven't driven I-80 across Northern Nevada since I was a kid, and don't really remember what it's like. Can anyone comment on the pros & cons of these two routes?

We've got 6 days to get from Glenwood, CO to Southern California, so we can take our time going either way.

2003 Country Coach Intrigue, Cummins ISL 400
Toad: 2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (LJ) toad, with just a few mods...

Other rig: 2005 Chevy Silverado 3500 Duramax Dually / Next Level 38CK Fifth-wheel Toy Hauler w/ quads, sand rail, etc...

patinlouisiana

Baton Rouge, La

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/20/12 12:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My first choice would be sell everything and stay in Colorado!
If you have not been to Moab, UT. take 191 south through Moab all the way to Flagstaff (see the Grand Canyon south rim) then I-40 west to Victorville and home from there.
Just a thought.

I never get lost! Someone always tells me where to go!

2012 Prime time Tracer 230FBS Touring Edition
2010 Toyota Sequoia Limited 4X2

Two Hands

California's Central Coast

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/20/12 01:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We took the Green River, UT, northwest to Salt Lake City and then west on I-80 route last year and will be taking it again this year. It is a good route and we take it for the same reason you are talking about. It is quite a bit cooler than going through Las Vegas. The KOA in Green River is good, but we are going to try the Good Sam this year. The KOA in Salt Lake City is a very good campground with lots of trees and grass. Have a great trip.

2011 Fleetwood Southwind 32VS
2013 Ford Edge
Retired Law Enforcement
U.S. Army 1965-1973/RVN 1968-'69

RicJones

So. Cal.

View Profile

Posted: 02/20/12 01:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

If you have not been to Moab, UT. take 191 south through Moab all the way to Flagstaff (see the Grand Canyon south rim) then I-40 west to Victorville and home from there.

Going this way you could see Monument Valley as well as hitting Canyonlands and Arches. All 3 places are well worth seeing. In Moab you might want to take a float trip or a off-road tour.

MPond

Thousand Oaks, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/20/12 04:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

patinlouisiana wrote:

My first choice would be sell everything and stay in Colorado!
Just a thought.

Yeah - we love Colorado. If we ever decided to move out of CA, that's probably where we'd go. But we have a huge family all in the same area here. It's hard to imagine telling the kids they couldn't see their cousins and grandparents every week like they do now.

As far as Moab is concerned, we love Moab will definitely be back. But in August I think it'll be too hot in Moab. We're doing Flagstaff and Grand Canyon on the way out of CA.

MPond

Thousand Oaks, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/20/12 04:29pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kinda funny - after commenting about being familiar with Moab, I looked down and realized I'm wearing my Moab 4x4 Outpost t-shirt today.

* This post was edited 02/20/12 04:42pm by MPond *

MPond

Thousand Oaks, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/20/12 04:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RicJones wrote:

Quote:

Going this way you could see Monument Valley as well as hitting Canyonlands and Arches. All 3 places are well worth seeing. In Moab you might want to take a float trip or a off-road tour.

I completely agree. We did Moab, Arches, Canyon Lands, Monument Valley, Valley of the Gods, and the Mokee Dugway last year. We'll definitely do them again' but looking for something different this year. And we're doing the Grand Canyon on the way out this year.

MPond

Thousand Oaks, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/20/12 04:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Two Hands wrote:

We took the Green River, UT, northwest to Salt Lake City and then west on I-80 route last year and will be taking it again this year. It is a good route and we take it for the same reason you are talking about. It is quite a bit cooler than going through Las Vegas. The KOA in Green River is good, but we are going to try the Good Sam this year. The KOA in Salt Lake City is a very good campground with lots of trees and grass. Have a great trip.

Very cool. Thanks for the information about the campgrounds too. That's really helpful.

patinlouisiana

Baton Rouge, La

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/20/12 05:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MPond wrote:

Yeah - we love Colorado. If we ever decided to move out of CA, that's probably where we'd go. But we have a huge family all in the same area here. It's hard to imagine telling the kids they couldn't see their cousins and grandparents every week like they do now.

Same here. Wife has a big family locally. I'm from Boulder, Co. and my dad was from Cripple Creek.
I miss the mountains big time!!!

MPond

Thousand Oaks, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/20/12 11:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What about Hwy 50 across Nevada- aka The Lonliest Road in America. Is this a better or worse route from Colorado to Lake Tahoe?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> Route from Colorado back to Southern California
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS