|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> Route from Colorado back to Southern California

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
MPond

Thousand Oaks, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/22/12 12:31am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

coloradotallman wrote:

Try to check out the Tour de Colorado, starting August 20th in Durango. We did last year and will do it again this year. More info at USAProcyclingchallenge.com

Also, as you are heading west into Glenwood, stop at the Hanging Lakes exit, about 5 miles east of Glenwood, for a great hike, and then soak in the Glenwood pools after.

Bummer. We're going to miss the Tour de Colorado by a couple weeks. I'm an intermediate mountain biker, and would have appreciated seeing this.

Yep - Hanging Lakes is on our list already. I've read that we can do a bike ride on the trail from the RV Park in Glenwood all the way to Hanging Lakes. Is it an easy ride? I'll have 2 kids in tow - some combination of a kiddie seat, a tag-along, and a bike trailer. It depends on how well my 6-year-old is doing on his bike riding by the time summer rolls around.

2003 Country Coach Intrigue, Cummins ISL 400
Toad: 2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (LJ) toad, with just a few mods...

Other rig: 2005 Chevy Silverado 3500 Duramax Dually / Next Level 38CK Fifth-wheel Toy Hauler w/ quads, sand rail, etc...

MPond

Thousand Oaks, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/22/12 09:39am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

4runnerguy wrote:

Yet another vote for US 50. When we head west from our home base here in Glenwood, we most often take US 50. US 6 is hotter and less scenic IMHO, although we went that way last spring because of the heavy residual snows to the north that closed some areas we wanted to visit. I-80 still has hills, but not so scenic. I-15 is just plain hot in the summer.

Great Basin NP is a great little oasis in the desert, but somewhat limited on campsites for your length rig, so plan to arrive earlier in the day on a weekday. No hookups, but a dump station is nearby. We also stay at Cave Lake SP, but again your length does limit somewhat. Not busy on weekdays. Both of these CG's are higher up in elevation so a little cooler, esp in the evening. Ely does have an RV park or two. Eureka is an interesting old mining town to poke around in. Watch the grade down into Austin.

When you say US-6 is hotter and less scenic, are you referring to US-6 headed North from Green River, UT, or US-6 headed South from Ely, NV?

And thank you for the campground information.

4runnerguy

Glenwood Springs, CO

View Profile

Posted: 02/22/12 11:28am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MPond wrote:

When you say US-6 is hotter and less scenic, are you referring to US-6 headed North from Green River, UT, or US-6 headed South from Ely, NV?

I'm talking about the section through NV from Ely westward.

Ken & Allison
2 Camping Cats (1 diabetic)
1996 4Runner, TRD Supercharger, Edelbrock headers
2007 Fleetwood Arcadia, Honda EU2000i
4 mountain bikes, 1 canoe, 4 tents, 8 sleeping bags, 2 backpacks
(You get the idea!)

MPond

Thousand Oaks, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/22/12 12:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

4runnerguy wrote:

I'm talking about the section through NV from Ely westward.

Cool, thanks.

coloradotallman

mexico

View Profile

Posted: 02/22/12 06:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Pond; If I remember there is an RV park near the West Glenwood exit, which is about Exit 114. If you are going west, you might consider stopping at Exit 118 No Name and making a day, starting uphill GOING BACK east, with bike stops at 121 Grizzly Creek, 125 Hanging Lakes, 128 Bair Ranch, AND THEN coasting back downhill to No Name. Then continue onto the park for the night. Bike path all along the river, rest areas, bathrooms, informative signs. Google trailcentral.com and CDOT. Starting from W. Glenwood would add 4 miles each way.

4runnerguy

Glenwood Springs, CO

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/12 06:25am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

To follow up on the Glenwood Canyon bike trail -- yes, it is a relatively easy ride. The steepest segment is at No Name, where the trail moves away from the river to avoid private property. Depending on the wind, we find often the ride up the canyon is easier than the ride down the canyon, as the prevailing wind is up canyon. I'm not sure which RV park you are staying in, but riding from the one at No Name to Hanging Lake, then hiking to Hanging Lake (a relatively steep trail), then riding back to No Name may be a bit much for a six year old.

MPond

Thousand Oaks, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/23/12 03:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

4runnerguy wrote:

To follow up on the Glenwood Canyon bike trail -- yes, it is a relatively easy ride. The steepest segment is at No Name, where the trail moves away from the river to avoid private property. Depending on the wind, we find often the ride up the canyon is easier than the ride down the canyon, as the prevailing wind is up canyon. I'm not sure which RV park you are staying in, but riding from the one at No Name to Hanging Lake, then hiking to Hanging Lake (a relatively steep trail), then riding back to No Name may be a bit much for a six year old.

Ok, I'll take that into consideration.

If the steepest part is at NoName (as coloradotallman said), maybe we should start at 121 Grizzly Creek and ride from there.

Or I could put my son on the tag-along and my daughter in the child seat, and do the riding myself, saving their energy for the hike. I'm a pretty active mountain bike rider, and I regularly pull both kids on my bike.

MPond

Thousand Oaks, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/28/12 12:09am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ok - I've got another question related to this one...

I'm still debating between I-80 and Hwy 50 to get from Glenwood Springs to Lake Tahoe. We've decided to do the drive in 2 days - yeah, I know that's a lot of driving time for the kids, but it works best for the activities we want to do.

If we go I-80 then we'll do a 9.5-hour drive from Glenwood Springs, CO to Elko, NV, and then from Elko to Lake Tahoe the next day. In that case, I'd be looking for something to do near Salt Lake City to give the kids a couple-hour break in the middle of the drive during the 1st day.

If we go Hwy-50, then I'd look for a similar stop - maybe near Ely, NV, and look for a similar rest somewhere for the kids during the middle of the 1st day's drive - possibly near Salina, UT.

So my question is this: Can anyone suggest a fun activity for the kids that would take an hour or two, either near Salt Lake City, or near Salina? For example, last year we made an unscheduled stop at the Western Colorado Dinosaur Museum just west of Grand Junction to break up a long drive, and the kids absolutely loved it.

paulj

Seattle

View Profile

Posted: 02/28/12 03:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

http://www.takemytrip.com/09loneliest/08n_22a.htm

desolation and sights on I70 Utah

The site also continues on US50 into Nevada.

MPond

Thousand Oaks, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/23/12 03:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

coloradotallman wrote:

Pond; If I remember there is an RV park near the West Glenwood exit, which is about Exit 114. If you are going west, you might consider stopping at Exit 118 No Name and making a day, starting uphill GOING BACK east, with bike stops at 121 Grizzly Creek, 125 Hanging Lakes, 128 Bair Ranch, AND THEN coasting back downhill to No Name. Then continue onto the park for the night. Bike path all along the river, rest areas, bathrooms, informative signs. Google trailcentral.com and CDOT. Starting from W. Glenwood would add 4 miles each way.

Thanks for the details - that's helpful.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> Route from Colorado back to Southern California
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS