|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Family Camping

Open Roads Forum  >  Family Camping

> Pirate land camping Resort

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
4321scott

Louisville, Kentucky

View Profile

Posted: 02/20/12 03:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My family and I are looking at spending a week at the Pirateland Camping Resort over Spring Break. We will be staying in our travel trailer and camping there. We will have two young teenage boys with us. Would enjoy hearing any comments on the good, bad or ugly of this resort.

Thanks in advance for your comments

04' F150 5.4 supercrew
2005 Flagstaff 831BHSS
Equalizer
Prodigy
Me, wife and two spoiled kids (12 and 6)

2 Retired

Myrtle Beach, SC

View Profile

Posted: 02/20/12 05:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm a local but know a lot about the CG. The sites are tight, but they all are in the "Big 3" in MB! The CG is as advertised, with everything they promise. Pools are great and it is really right on the ocean front. Many, many use golf carts and many drive them like they are race cars. You're going there at the busiest time of the year - please advise exactly when your Spring Break is. Believe it should be in April - after the craziness of all the motorcycle rallies! The worst thing about the CG is how tight the sites are. That is commonplace all over the Grand Strand area particularly when you are on the ocean. Think Pirateland's sites area actually just a little bigger than the other 2 (Lakewood and Ocean Lakes) but defiinitely not by much. The campground, like every other large cg, is loud and crowded during peak time. Most campers though are very friendly. Hopefully the weather will be warm enough to enjoy the pools and the ocean, although in the Spring the ocean can be a bit cool. Try to avoid buying food/supplies inside the campground. There is a WalMart and other stores within 2 miles so that shouldn't be a problem. There is much to do there and the CG is located so you are close to everything there is to do in MB, including a really good municipal golf course (Whispering Pines, just north) and any number of restaurants and activities. If you would like to know more about the area, feel free to PM.

Two young retirees restless to GO!
Life is too short to wait too long to do all we want to do!!
Go and enjoy!!

Terryallan

Foothills NC

View Profile

Posted: 02/20/12 06:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Piratelannd is great. April between Easter, and Memorial Day should be just about perfect. Harley week is in MAY, and Atlantic Bike week is over Men Day. So really you will fall into the inbetween times.

Do get an "beach" area site. the "beach" area sites are in truth very large. Big enough so that you can actually stay hooked up to the TV, IF you want. The sites off the beach are really pretty small.

As mentioned there are grocery stores nearby. Taking a RIGHT out of the campground will get you to the closest, and easiest to reach grocery store. WalMart CAN be a pain to get to and from.
Besides the many things to do in the CG. There is a pile of stuff to do. Minigolf every where you look, and a amusement park not too far up, in Myrtle Beach.

BTW. IF you call, and make a reservation. You can pick your site, IF you pay for 7 or more nights in addvance.

Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
04 F150, 5.4, Lariat SuperCab
Lazy Campers

anaro

Mebane, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/20/12 07:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We stayed there in June in one of the inland sites. If you do an inland site, you might want to list your trailer a little longer as the sites can be very small/tight inland. We have a 30 ft TT and were backed up to the very back of the site and had literally about 2 feet to the front of the site. The sites were narrow so putting the TV next to the TT took up a lot of the site also. Many inland sites have trees that you have to be creative to back around to park. Also the inland sites have a very narrow road that would have made backing in interesting if the sites across from us were occupied when we pulled in and out. The beach sites are very open and long. I would probably still stay in an inland site because I liked the shade and being halfway between the pool and the beach. The CG was nice and even in june not very crowded. The lazy river was my favorite, the kiddie pool really cold, big pool was nice. The beach was beautiful, the mini golf a little tired. They have an indoor pool that we didn't check out. The paddle boat was fun. They had a decent arcade and a little snack shop. As stated above there are a lot of golf carts but I understand that is true of all of the big 3 in myrtle beach. We would stay at pirateland again. We had a good time going into myrtle beach and looking around. The skywheel isn't cheap but was a beautiful view.

2014 Silverado 3500 Duramax, SRW, Crew Cab, 4WD
2014 Palomino Sabre 34REQS - 5 nights camped
2011 Crossroads Zinger ZT26BL - sold after 3 1/2 yrs and 76 nights camped in it!

PCronin68

RI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/21/12 09:30am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I booked my trip for June 30th for a week. I heard a lot of good things about this CG. I booked a beach front site and did tell them my TT was a little longer that it actually is. I am looking forward to it....I have 4 kids ages 7-15

2010 Passport 2910BHS w/ 2007 Yukon XL Denali

Ewingfamily

Central NJ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/20/12 05:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have found the reviews on www.rvparkreviews.com to be reliable and accurate. Check it out! Enjoy your vacation!

2011 JAYCO JAY FLIGHT 29 QBH
2008 CHEVY silverado MAX
Family of 5 (kids ages 10, 7, 5)
2 golden retrievers (Cooper 4 & Claude 1)

wbwood

Lake Norman, NC area

View Profile

Posted: 02/25/12 08:15am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Terryallan is right about the Walmart. It's not so much as a pain getting there and back, but it's a pain inside. This has to be the busiest Walmart I have ever seen. Prepare to stand in line at check out for a good while.

AS Terryallan also mentioned, if you turn right out of any of the big 3 and go down a mile or so, there is a Food Lion on the left side. We found this to be just about the best place to buy groceries that is not too crowded.

Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L
ACME Tow Dolly
2007 Toyota Yaris (Toad)

anaro

Mebane, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/25/12 09:21am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One thing I forgot, make sure you bring some ant spray to spray around your site. Lots of ants. We were warned ahead of time and sprayed around everywheret he TT touched the ground. Also sprayed a few anthills. No problems after that. Getting into walmart isn't a problem, its getting out. There is a cmping world on the same road as walmart (it is between walmart and pirateland). Great place to go for BBQ is sticky fingers (and yes I know they are a southern chain but we love them).

Captain Pickle

Eastern Kentucky

View Profile

Posted: 02/22/12 04:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We love Pirateland! Many things to do there without even leaving the park! Great location for other area attractions. Go down to Murrell's Inlet and eat at Drunken Jacks! It's the best!!!!!

Pickle & Debbie

2005 Chevrolet Silverado Crew Cab 5.3L
2007 SunnyBrook Sunset Creek 267RL

Robin1953

Ashton, WV

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/21/12 02:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As mentioned the sites are larger at the beach area, #84A would be my pick but I have never been able to get it. I have never stayed inland nor at Lakewood but the sites at Oceanlakes are smaller than Pirateland in my opinion.

2015 Open Range JT337RLS
2011 Ram 3500 DRW and Cummins

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Family Camping

> Pirate land camping Resort
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Family Camping

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size: