RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Technology Corner: Fed ex virus HELP!!

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Fed ex virus HELP!!

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
wittmeba

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 02/21/12 04:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lots of free AV/AM programs. Just download 1 or 2 and request their update.

This Virus is about 2 years old now, but never hurts to update the database for the fixes.

Links to most here:
http://gotnarcosis.com/brucewittmeier/technical/VirusMalwareAdwarePrograms.html

NRA Member & supporter of the 2nd amendment - over 5,000,000 strong

Firefox® 33

Log home images - Updated 05/19/2013

Washington, DC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/21/12 05:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

HappyKayakers wrote:

Boot to safe mode and do a system restore to a few days ago. Very good chance that will take care of the problem.

You need to be careful when resorting to using just Windows System Restore to remove malware. It was designed to restore "select" system files to a previous state, but does not mean that it can revert all changes made by an exploit. This is the reason Microsoft does not recommend using System Restore alone for this purpose. It can lead one to a false sense of security in that the exploited computer appears to operate normally, but in fact, may still contain the malware. And that's what many exploits of this type do. Operate in stealth mode while performing its designed malicious intent.

You're better off following a known procedure to remove the malware, from sites such as BleepingComputer.com. Most all will recommend using Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free, along with RKill which terminate known processes that can block security tools from running.

The FEDEX exploits have reportedly been known to modify Window's "Hosts" file, which System Restore does not restore from a previous restore point.

In that regard, it may be a good idea to make a backup copy of your Hosts file. Just open in Notepad, and save as Hosts.bak. Also, the free Zone Alarm firewall has an option which locks the Hosts file to prevent malware from modifying it.

Dihydrogen Monoxide

North America

View Profile

Posted: 02/26/12 01:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

patinlouisiana wrote:

Whenever I receive a suspicious email I forward it to Abuse @”Whomever it supposedly came from”
Like Abuse@fedex.com , Most large firms have this address.
Especially banks.

And this accomplishes what, exactly?

Maxi Signal

Buffalo , NY

View Profile

Posted: 02/26/12 02:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When you report the offending email using a companies name . Their web Masters go after the web site of the site imitating them and have them shut down by that sites IP.

Dihydrogen Monoxide wrote:

patinlouisiana wrote:

Whenever I receive a suspicious email I forward it to Abuse @”Whomever it supposedly came from”
Especially banks.

Dihydrogen Monoxide

North America

View Profile

Posted: 02/26/12 03:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Maxi Signal wrote:

When you report the offending email using a companies name . Their web Masters go after the web site of the site imitating them and have them shut down by that sites IP.

patinlouisiana wrote:

Especially banks.

Wrong. As a site administrator for many years I can assure that is not what happens. Usually, the "abuse" address is equated to /dev/null which in layman's talk is the circular file.
Administrative staff do not have the time or inclination to pursue these kinds of "complaints". About the only time I have ever seen any action taken against a user is by court order and even that is a rarity.
And in the above captioned case and in 99.9% of others you receive of this nature, the envelope address is bogus to begin with so you are only forwarding it to someone whom has nothing to do with it in the first place. As I said, they just alias it to the circular file....

Maxi Signal

Buffalo , NY

View Profile

Posted: 02/26/12 04:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well I always forward to the abuse address and I usually get an email back thanking me . And stating they are working on shutting the offending site down . And in no time it usually is . Better than doing nothing and tons of other people being sucked in to these scammers . But that is just me I like to think I am helping some small way even if it is useless in your opinion.

Maxi Signal wrote:

patinlouisiana wrote:

Especially banks.

Wrong. As a site administrator for many years I can assure that is not what happens. Usually, the "abuse" address is equated to /dev/null which in layman's talk is the circular file.
Administrative staff do not have the time or inclination to pursue these kinds of "complaints". About the only time I have ever seen any action taken against a user is by court order and even that is a rarity.
And in the above captioned case and in 99.9% of others you receive of this nature, the envelope address is bogus to begin with so you are only forwarding it to someone whom has nothing to do with it in the first place. As I said, they just alias it to the circular file....

magicbus

LBI, NJ or Nantucket, MA

View Profile

Posted: 02/26/12 04:29pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Keep sending them. It won't necessarily stop specific messages but it shows a company how they are being spoofed so they can learn and warn their customers.

Dave

patinlouisiana

Baton Rouge, La

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/26/12 08:29pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

patinlouisiana wrote:

Especially banks.

I get a reply that states it was legitimate or it was some form if phishing or a virus attempt!

I never get lost! Someone always tells me where to go!

2012 Prime time Tracer 230FBS Touring Edition
2010 Toyota Sequoia Limited 4X2

OH48Lt

Whitehouse, OH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/26/12 08:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As others have advised, download the free Malware Bytes program and run it. This will clean -most- virii from your system. Also download a couple of programs to prevent getting any virus in the first place. Avast is very good, so is AVG. Both are free. Spybot Search and Destroy, AdAware, and Spyware Blaster are all decent. Please don't put Norton on your system, the other -free- programs are much better.

One rule I use is NEVER download an attachment unless you are sure you know where it came from, and have your anti-virus programs check it first.

2011 Ford F-150 Lariat Crew Cab 4x4 EcoBoost
2014 Cruiser RV Fun Finder 215WKS
2012 Harley Street Glide -ember red sunglo
...soon to be replaced with 2015 Road Glide Special in Amber Whiskey
Yamaha Grizzly 660 (his)
Polaris Sportsman 500 H.O.(hers)

mapguy

Puget Sound

View Profile

Posted: 02/27/12 09:18am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you understand computer but virus removal is a little above your pay grade -this webiste has been a great service to me fixing family computers caused by similar actions of opening bad attachements and malicous website visits.

You do have to register, follow directions explictly, and be patient. Removal can take multiple days due to the "free" service nature....and the necessary downloads and scans.

Windows BBS Forum
http://www.windowsbbs.com/malware-virus-removal/

Hope you get it all removed and squared away.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Fed ex virus HELP!!
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS