|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Norcold 1200 HE AC

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
JohnnyT

On The Road

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/20/12 05:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Interesting Problem... My Norcold 1200 is flashing and beeping a failure... An AC HE which is indicating a problem with the electrical heating elements.

A measure of the resistance at room temperature of both elements finds that they are within tolerance.

All connections appear to be in order.

The refrigerator is maintaining temperature. Both elements are producing heat...

Other than the beeping and error code flashing I would not know there was a problem.

The only variable I know of is to replace the control board... I did pull and inspect the control board no sign of any problem...

Any thoughts?

JohnnyT

hottubkid

SCHAUMBURG,IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/20/12 06:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would try taking a pencil eraser to the contacts on the control board. To clean them

JohnnyT wrote:

Interesting Problem... My Norcold 1200 is flashing and beeping a failure... An AC HE which is indicating a problem with the electrical heating elements.

A measure of the resistance at room temperature of both elements finds that they are within tolerance.

All connections appear to be in order.

The refrigerator is maintaining temperature. Both elements are producing heat...

Other than the beeping and error code flashing I would not know there was a problem.

The only variable I know of is to replace the control board... I did pull and inspect the control board no sign of any problem...

Any thoughts?

JohnnyT

hottubkid60193@yahoo.com
2004 SOUTHWIND 36E Tow 2003 CRV

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 02/20/12 07:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

HE AC means that one of your heaters has failed by being OPEN. That can happen intermittantly and the Element/s can OHM out correctly. They can fail when running HOT. Thus the intermittant operation. When it happens again, you then clamp on a Amp meter to see which element is open. But, It would be better to just replace both elements at the same time rather than the one that is defective. Doug

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 02/20/12 08:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Your getting a reading of 58-68 ohms on each heating element....correct?
Then the problem is at the power board. Check the yellow & brown wire(s) connections to power board.....otherwise may have to replace power board.

LVJ58

Las Vegas, Nevada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/20/12 09:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi Johnny, hopefully Doug Rainer will catch your post and have an answer for you..

Good luck, Jim

Jim & Sherry Seward
Las Vegas, NV
2000 Residency 3790 V-10 w/tags & Banks System
2003 Suzuki XL/7 toad

JohnnyT

On The Road

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/21/12 09:43am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks all for the responses... The Ohm readings are 64.3 and 66.1.. I have checked the resistance several times...after letting the elements cool and when they were still hot..

Doug, I plan on trying to round up two heating elements since I have everything accessible.

This morning I did take readings with a clamp on amp meter. I expected to see about .2 amps what I got was 1.63 and 1.51.

I also checked the temperature at the bottom of the stack.... 221F. The temperature inside the refrigerator is 34.1... The freezer section is at 14.1F...

JohnnyT

* This post was edited 02/21/12 12:08pm by JohnnyT *

2004 40DS02 Travel Supreme ISL 400
Jeep Grand Cherokee
M&G Brake & Break Away
Blue Ox Aventa LX Tow bar

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 02/21/12 10:21am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The AMP draw is 1.7 on each element. Doug

JohnnyT

On The Road

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/21/12 12:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks Doug, neither element is drawing that much... One is lower than the other. I wonder what the threshold for the HE AC fault to be triggered?

Johnny

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 02/21/12 03:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JohnnyT wrote:

Thanks Doug, neither element is drawing that much... One is lower than the other. I wonder what the threshold for the HE AC fault to be triggered?

Johnny

120 elements either work or they don't. I would bet your line voltage is LOW or your amp meter is not accurate. The threshold is NO current as it senses an OPEN condition. No current flow at all. Doug

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Norcold 1200 HE AC
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS