|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Replacing Trailer Tires

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
JanVanDen

Southern Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 02/20/12 05:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ok, Got trailer 2007, Last year we had to put all new valve stems in because they were dry rotten.. I looked over the tires then and they looked a little cracked then to me. We did't use our camper much last year due to job loss and the economy.. Things have gotten a little better this year and we want to use the camper more. I think we should replace them for safety...

On the trailer now we have ST 225/75D15. We are getting prices on ST225/75 R15. Now, the next thing is they are not American made tires. I was told by a dealer that he has had issues with American made tires coming apart and ripping a trailer apart in the tire area. He has not a problem with the foreign made tires. So, what should we do... Put on a 10 ply radial foreign made or what.. Help!!

Is there anything to put on a tire other than a cover to keep them from dry rotting?

Thanks
Janet

RJsfishin

Winston Or.

View Profile

Posted: 02/20/12 06:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't know any tires that won't go 6-8 yrs. And I sure don't think I'd trade for china tires.....even it they was 8 yrs old.

Slow down, and don't drive in hot weather,.....they'll go a few more yrs for sure.

Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 400 watt inv, 2 12v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KingDome/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters, and towing a Dodge GCV, or a Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

Sundowner1

Chesapeake, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/20/12 06:27pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If they are cracking--get rid of them for new AMERICAN made tires.

Never go more than 5 years on camper tires.

Sundowner

2010 chevy2500HD, Duramax, crew, std bed, 4x4
08 Fleetwood Quantum 325rkts

amxpress

Clayton, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/20/12 06:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I suggest finding another tire store as they are totally misinformed, or better yet, they are lying.
It is the China built ST tires that have had a problem. In fact, there are not any ST tires actually built in USA.
If you are getting ST tires, check out Maxxis. They are by far the best ST tire on the market today. They make a Load Range E in your size, too. Here's their site: http://www.maxxis.com/Industrial/Trailer.aspx
If you can't find them locally, a reputable tire dealer can order them for you.
Don't forget to have your new tires balanced and install steel valve stems.

2007 Dodge RAM 2500 Quad Cab w/6.7 Cummins
2013 Palomino Columbus 320RS
Reese 15K Pro Series manual slide
Prodigy
Firestone Air Bags
Champion 3500 genny
M.I.L denied parole! Yeah!

ken23322

Raleigh, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/20/12 06:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am telling you this from my own experience. "DO NOT" buy any tires from China. I have had 2 tire blow outs on my 2008 Bristol Bay. I now have Michelin Tires and a Tire Pressure Monitor System. But most of all, I have peace of mind.

KandL

2008 Bristol Bay 3510RE
2008 2500 HD Silverado DuraMax

Supreme Oppressor

Grande Prairie, Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 02/20/12 06:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Also, check the date code on the tires. Just because the trailer is 2007 doesn't mean the tires are.

Make sure the load carrying capacity on any new tires are the same or higher than what you have now.

I have heard American made ST tires are extremely hard to find. I just did a search for "china bombs". I got 218 posts. The key to finding a good foreign tire seems to be to get them from anywhere but China.

2006 F350 6.0 diesel cc lb srw
2004 Jayco Jayflight 30.5BHS

skipnchar

Topeka or somewhere else

View Profile

Posted: 02/20/12 07:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Maxxis are probably the best ST rated tire on the market. I've averaged over 40,000 towing miles on my last two sets of them. There are no other US made ST tires unless you count Goodyear which seem to be doing a lot of bouncing back and forth between Chinese made and US made.
I would CERTAINLY avoid Chinese made tires unless you travel very little with the trailer. Good luck / Skip

2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

fla-gypsy

North Florida

View Profile

Posted: 02/20/12 07:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Maxxis (Made in Thailand) are the only ST tires I will have on my TT. The Chinese junk on it when it came lasted 18 months before cracking to pieces. Your call. BTW, your tire dealer can't even tell you the truth maybe you should find another.

This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

Francesca Knowles

Port Hadlock, Washington

View Profile

Posted: 02/20/12 10:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here's the deal:
Your trailer tires are past their useful life, and you didn't cause that by not treating or covering or whatever.
ST's aren't designed to last more than about 15,000 miles or 3 years or so. That's one of the reasons they're by-the-tire cheaper than other tires!
Folks get confused because there's often what looks like a "lot of tread left" on a trailer tire, even though they're seeing things like problems with the valves. And note: most ST's don't have wear bars, because tread wear DOESN'T tell you how much life is left in the tire.
Tread condition is NOT an indicator of useful life left with these tires. More Here

Don't worry about the country of origin with the new tires. Despite Popular Myths, there's not a spit's worth of difference between manufacturing processes, and there's no way to know if the "origin" mark is genuine even if it mattered..
Bottom line:
Go to a tire place you trust and take their advice about what to equip your trailer with.
Do NOT trust your family's safety to the opinions of a bunch of anonymous posters like us.

" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

cargovanconversion

Florida, USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/20/12 07:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JanVanDen wrote:

Ok, Got trailer 2007, Last year we had to put all new valve stems in because they were dry rotten.. I looked over the tires then and they looked a little cracked then to me. We did't use our camper much last year due to job loss and the economy.. Things have gotten a little better this year and we want to use the camper more. I think we should replace them for safety...

On the trailer now we have ST 225/75D15. We are getting prices on ST225/75 R15. Now, the next thing is they are not American made tires. I was told by a dealer that he has had issues with American made tires coming apart and ripping a trailer apart in the tire area. He has not a problem with the foreign made tires. So, what should we do... Put on a 10 ply radial foreign made or what.. Help!!

Is there anything to put on a tire other than a cover to keep them from dry rotting?

Thanks
Janet

Don't worry about where they are made. And I still use ArmorAll to keeo them protected and nice looking.

Van.

CargoVanConversion
cargovanconversion.com

My website describes the conversion of my Dodge B-250 van into a small RV. I deal with a lot of woodworking, but hope to be quite specific on solar as well.

cargovanconversion.com

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Replacing Trailer Tires
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS