RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Beginning RVing: Extended Warranty Insurance?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Extended Warranty Insurance?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
SkyPiGG

Southeastern PA

View Profile

Posted: 02/20/12 06:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our TT's 1-year anniverssary is next month. Is it worth it to invest in an extended warranty? My dealership is offering a platinum pkg for about a thousand. What is everyone thoughts on this?

SkyPiGG
2011 Keystone Cougar XLite 26BHS
2011 Silverado LT 1500 Crew Cab 5.3 V8 HD 3.42 (King George)
Fastway E2 10k Hitch

csmithtrw

Green Bay, WI

View Profile

Posted: 02/20/12 06:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you purchased it new, and haven't had any issues with it or immediate concerns than I would go with NO. We bought our 2011 last spring used and declined the warranty coverage of about the same dollar amount. Within a month we started finding a few kinks in the system so to speak that made us kind of wish we would have taken it. Still don't think even I had to pay to have everything resolved it equal the warranty amount though. So long story short.. unless you have a real reason or just have a thousand dollars to throw away, save the cash..

brentbullets

Nebraska

View Profile

Posted: 02/20/12 07:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was just going to ask this same question. My dealer is quoting about twice that amount.

Are you looking at XtraRide, Priority RV Extended care?

Seems to me it might be worth the money, I don't ever by extended warranties, though this has my interest.

rolnhome

Casa Grande, Az

View Profile

Posted: 02/20/12 07:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Make sure you know what it covers and doesn't cover. Alot of people will say save your money. I am happy with mine. The company has paid thier part promptly and fairly. It's in the shop now getting a power steering pump replaced cost to me $100. Had a TV replaced. Leveling jacks repaired. Heater board replaced. Power awning motor replaced. It is insurance. I feel good knowing that I still have over 70K and 5+ years of repairs paid for. I don't want to use it but it is there. You're paying for a bit of security.
The dealer makes a good profit of selling these warranties so bargan for a better price if you decide what to buy. They came down a few hundred bucks on mine. I did buy a 2 year old model so I wanted some warranty coverage just in case.

We're in Arizona

Skip N Barb Team

Dickinson, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 02/20/12 07:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't think it's the best way to go. Just put back a hundred bucks or so per month to cover any repairs. If you don't have any problems, you'll have a little nest egg for traveling.

Also, the dealers normally won't tell you that the appliance mfgs. carry their own warrantees. Just because the rv's might be for only one year, your fidge, a/c, microwave, stove...etc...etc may well have covered parts for two to five years.

When I bought my new truck, they tried to sell me an extended warranty for $1700. When I checked the fine print, they were allowed to go to a junk yard for replacement parts.

Extended warrantees are just another scam...IMHO....

Skip

SkyPiGG

Southeastern PA

View Profile

Posted: 02/20/12 08:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The package is the Intersatate Star RV Diamond package. 5-years, 50.00 dedectible. Pretty much covers everything except maintenance items. The price quoted to me was 1234.00 (this is supposedly a "special price", but I think the regular price is only 36.00 more. Some special...NOT.

paulcardoza

Southeastern Massachusetts

View Profile

Posted: 02/21/12 05:14am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ask yourself what the odds are of needing $1000 in repairs for a 1 year old TT. Odds are slim unless you lose a fridge or furnace, which is highly unlikely in a rig this new.

I don't see the need, but it's a highly personal decision. If you decide to buy the policy, just do it knowing that the odds are you won't recover your investment in payouts. That's how they make their money.

Paul & Sandra
New Bedford, MA
2014 Heartland Cyclone 4100 King

retired4fun2002

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 02/21/12 01:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Extended Warranties - aka ADP (Additional Dealer Profit). I have had numerous travel trailers, and now motorhomes, all without the "extended warranty." They have you jumping through all kinds of hoops, oh, you forgot this, and they won't approve that.....put the money you were planning on paying for the ADP in the bank; my bet is you will have it when the "quoted warranty expires." if your into fixing things around the home....you will be able to handle the water pumps, etc. Safe travels.

JC2

USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/21/12 02:27pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have never been a lover of extended warranties as they are geared towards the issuer. Read and understand the fine print so you absolutely understand what is covered and what responsibilities you might have ie; proper maintenance on various items, etc. If you feel comfortable and understand the contract and the $1237 is for (5) yrs, it would be tempting.

2004 Newmar DSDP 4015,Cummins ISL 370hp,Spartan MM Chassis,2008 Saturn Vue FWD Towed,FMCA #402879

rolnhome

Casa Grande, Az

View Profile

Posted: 02/20/12 08:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Diamond is the package I have. I paid more but I have a MH more stuff to break. So far they have paid off fair and the square. They will not let the shops over charge them.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Extended Warranty Insurance?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS