RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Power in gas engine larger Class A motorhomes

RV Blog

  |  

RV Sales

  |  

Campgrounds

  |  

RV Parks

  |  

RV Club

  |  

RV Buyers Guide

  |  

Roadside Assistance

  |  

Extended Service Plan

  |  

RV Travel Assistance

  |  

RV Credit Card

  |  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

 > Power in gas engine larger Class A motorhomes

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
Goldencrazy

madison wi

Senior Member

Joined: 06/21/2007

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 02/20/12 07:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This year in our travels I have seen quite a number of very nice 38 ft Winnebago Adventures in campgrounds. Some are towing some good size vehicles and one I saw today had a large enclosed trailer in which they hauled a smart car and other toys. I believe the engine in the same as mine in my 2012 Vista 30T-Ford F-53 362 hp. Do you have enough power? The engine is great for me but just seems with 8 more feet and full wall slide it may be a little slow. Perhaps mine is over powered.

rr2254545

Minnesota

Senior Member

Joined: 07/12/2009

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 02/20/12 07:29pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not sure what you saw take for instance 2011 Adventurer Ford V10 37 ft MH has a towing capacity of 5000 lbs.
I do not know any gas Winnebago that has a towing capacity over 5000


2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited
158 Campgrounds since we retired in 2009

Dale.Traveling

Newport News, VA

Senior Member

Joined: 12/16/2010

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 02/20/12 07:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rr2254545 wrote:

Not sure what you saw take for instance 2011 Adventurer Ford V10 37 ft MH has a towing capacity of 5000 lbs.
I do not know any gas Winnebago that has a towing capacity over 5000

I was thinking the same thing but in general the V10 I feel has plenty of power to move around the designed limit of 26K lbs. I think it's not so much of moving down the road but stopping when you get to the end of the road.

Ford has also produced a F53 with a limit of 30K gross but the I don't think the coach builders using the 30K chassis have increased the hitch limit above 5K. The problem isn't so much the power train or brakes, althought I would guess it does come into play, but the frame behind the axle and the coach builder adding extensions.


2006 Hurricane 31D aka 'Moby' the Whale
FCC(SW) US Navy Retired 1980-2003
Stella my Navigator
Bogart the All American RV Dog
and
Cocoui waiting for me at the Rainbow Bridge


MARKW8

Akron OH

Senior Member

Joined: 03/09/2004

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 02/20/12 07:55pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think people like going slow up hill. I would be hard pressed to go past 30' with a gas motor today. Maybe with the discontinued 8.1 from GM.

Mark

Goldencrazy

madison wi

Senior Member

Joined: 06/21/2007

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 02/20/12 08:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't think they exceed the 5,000 lbs but then I think 4500 to 5000 is a lot of weight when many toads are in the 2,000 range and being towed by DP's with greater power. I also noticed that Winnebago produced a rear engine gas Adventure in 2008 and/or 2009/ Does anyone know why they stopped?

LVJ58

Las Vegas, Nevada

Senior Member

Joined: 02/26/2001

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 02/20/12 09:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Goldencrazy wrote:

I don't think they exceed the 5,000 lbs but then I think 4500 to 5000 is a lot of weight when many toads are in the 2,000 range and being towed by DP's with greater power. I also noticed that Winnebago produced a rear engine gas Adventure in 2008 and/or 2009/ Does anyone know why they stopped?


Most likely because Workhorse quit building the UFO rear engine gas chassis I believe...


Jim & Sherry Seward
Las Vegas, NV
2000 Residency 3790 V-10 w/tags & Banks System
2003 Suzuki XL/7 toad

Goldencrazy

madison wi

Senior Member

Joined: 06/21/2007

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 02/21/12 04:48am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks. My new Ford has a much improved transmission and easily and quietly moves from gear to gear when pulling grades. The fifth speed cruises at 2100 rpm's at 65 on level ground. I go up a 6% grade at 60 with little problem and could do faster if I wanted to kick up the rpm's. I have not had any grade where I was below 55 because of limitations on my power. Now I do tow a Smart Car which is only 1700 lbs and I travel with holding tanks about half full as the weight actually helps the ride.

fourmat

NJ

Senior Member

Joined: 12/15/2009

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 02/21/12 06:26am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MARKW8 wrote:

I think people like going slow up hill. I would be hard pressed to go past 30' with a gas motor today. Maybe with the discontinued 8.1 from GM.

Mark
Mine is 37' and I have no issue with hills at 60-65


2009 Challenger


lostdog

Jacksonville, FL

Full Member

Joined: 04/06/2007

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 02/21/12 07:53am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MARKW8 wrote:

I think people like going slow up hill. I would be hard pressed to go past 30' with a gas motor today. Maybe with the discontinued 8.1 from GM.

Mark



Disagree. Not wanting to start a war but the newer Ford V10 engine powers our 37 footer, pulling a Jeep Wrangler, just fine. While in the Smokies I was passing a few 300 HP diesel pushers that were struggling on the longer hills. The motor is really screaming at you while doing so but is built to run like that. Gas motors 10 years ago were a different story though.


Chuck n Terri
2011 Georgetown 378TS in FireMist
2013 Wrangler Toad
Rica, the old cat
Max E. Dog, the puppy dog
Kirby, the old dog, passed but not forgotten

Dog Trainer

Richmond Mi.

Senior Member

Joined: 08/17/2006

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 02/21/12 10:00am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Goldencrazy wrote:

Thanks. My new Ford has a much improved transmission and easily and quietly moves from gear to gear when pulling grades. The fifth speed cruises at 2100 rpm's at 65 on level ground. I go up a 6% grade at 60 with little problem and could do faster if I wanted to kick up the rpm's. I have not had any grade where I was below 55 because of limitations on my power. Now I do tow a Smart Car which is only 1700 lbs and I travel with holding tanks about half full as the weight actually helps the ride.


The OP is talking about a 39 ft. MH with a gas motorand I will guaratee you it does not go up a 6% grade at 60 mph. That is 25% larger than the one in your sig.


93 Airstream 35' Dp
5.9 230 uprated to 300 HP
Allison MD 3060
Shadow 12 yr old Golden Daktari & Lydia Cavalier King Charles (fur Bearing Children) Duchess my Golden daddys little girl at the Rainbow bridge since 4/12


This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

 > Power in gas engine larger Class A motorhomes
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS