|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Power in gas engine larger Class A motorhomes

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Goldencrazy

madison wi

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/22/12 10:04am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I did not want to turn this into a DP v gas issue. I like my gas just fine. I know the Dp's were working up some grades because as I passed them and them me I could hear them roar. I know you don't hear it up front like we do with the gas. I was just curious about handling and power on the larger gas powered motorhomes and I got some nice input.

lostdog

Jacksonville, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/23/12 06:28am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Effy wrote:

Get PLENTY of power out of my Ford v-10. Pulling the toad, up mountains, no matter. It's got plenty. For the miles we put on, and the cost of the unit, I couldn't see spending the money or maintenance, not to mention cost of fuel and the imperceptable MPG for a DP. When I retire I might opt for a DP, but power is not really one of the reasons. I have all the power I need out of my gasser for a whole lot less money.

X2...perfectly said.

Chuck n Terri
2011 Georgetown 378TS in FireMist
2013 Wrangler Toad
Rica, the old cat
Max E. Dog, the puppy dog
Kirby, the old dog, passed but not forgotten

Dog Trainer

Richmond Mi.

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/12 07:05am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Effy wrote:

Get PLENTY of power out of my Ford v-10. Pulling the toad, up mountains, no matter. It's got plenty. For the miles we put on, and the cost of the unit, I couldn't see spending the money or maintenance, not to mention cost of fuel and the imperceptable MPG for a DP. When I retire I might opt for a DP, but power is not really one of the reasons. I have all the power I need out of my gasser for a whole lot less money.

I can see on a 30' MH how a v-10 has more than enough so to your points you are correct. Now take that to 39' and you have a different need for power. So how does this answer relate to the OP's question of gas powwered in LARGE MH's. Many send out the answers that are how your small handle the power so the information does not relate to the actual question. BTW a diesel motor in a 39' MH will deliver at least 30% better fuel mileage than the same size 39' with a V-10. once again not putting down the V-10 it is right sized for the smaller class A's. You cannot compare apples to Banana's

93 Airstream 35' Dp
5.9 230 uprated to 300 HP
Allison MD 3060
Shadow 12 yr old Golden Daktari & Lydia Cavalier King Charles (fur Bearing Children) Duchess my Golden daddys little girl at the Rainbow bridge since 4/12

Effy

MD

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/23/12 08:07am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dog Trainer wrote:

Effy wrote:

I can see on a 30' MH how a v-10 has more than enough so to your points you are correct. Now take that to 39' and you have a different need for power. So how does this answer relate to the OP's question of gas powwered in LARGE MH's. Many send out the answers that are how your small handle the power so the information does not relate to the actual question. BTW a diesel motor in a 39' MH will deliver at least 30% better fuel mileage than the same size 39' with a V-10. once again not putting down the V-10 it is right sized for the smaller class A's. You cannot compare apples to Banana's

Agreed and point well taken. I had that exact thought after I posted. Personally I probably wouldn't go bigger than 36 on a gasser. While the gas engine may have the power it's a lot of work for the extra weight that a diesel will handle easier simply by way of torque. Plus a 36-39 ft gasser is going to start to get into a price range of an entry or used diesel anyway. Like I said, I have plenty of power but I have a 30' coach. Probably still plenty of power at 34'. After that I would think you are starting to tax the engine and drive train especially pulling a toad. One day I'll have a DP, something just short of 40'. Quiet comes to mind. Gas engines are loud and more so the more they have to work ~ ie more length/weight. All that said, I have seen very few underpowered newer rigs. The new gas engines are adequate even for larger coaches. However ~more length = more weight = more work, and more fuel. Diesels work less doing the same job. But they cost a lot to buy, feed and maintain. Yes the new engines are adequate, but I think we all know what we would buy if money was no object

2013 ACE 29.2

C-Leigh Racing

Nashville NC

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/12 11:00am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When it comes to how much power an engine has, or how you feel about the hp it has, all any of you would need to do just one time in your life time, is crawl into a GMC cabover with a 238 detroit 6 cylinder bellering in your ears & climb any hill.
Next thing you crawl in & drive, you would think it was jet powered & be well pleased the the hp & performance output.

I've got a 99 32' V10, everytime it leave the driveway it is grossing over 25,000 & I'm well pleased with the engines performance. Would I like more than 275 hp, yes who wouldnt, but its not a race car so I just do with what I have to do with at a slower pace.
Climbing a hill is only part of the job, getting to point A & back to B without any problems is on the top of the list & the MOST important of all, if the WIFE aint pleased with that coach floor plan, then ol big daddy aint going to be very shortly & hp wont make one ounce of difference.
Neil

the silverback

SW Mich

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/23/12 12:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Can't comment on the Ford V10. My Workhorse 8.1 gas engine on a 39 foot MH with the 6 speed trans has very good power. I get 8.6 mpg pulling a 4000 pound toad. I have made it over 10 and 14 % grades in the Rockes where my friends diesel MH's had to unhook their toad or overheated. It is to bad they quite making that engine/trans combination!!!!!

the silverback

rgatijnet1

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/23/12 01:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Looking through the various specs on different coaches with gas engines, it appears that the rear axle ratio changes as the coach gets longer/heavier. With the change in axle ratio, and maybe transmission gearing also, there is no reason why a 36+' gas coach would have trouble going up hills. I'm sure that there is a penalty to be paid in gas mileage, but the mileage on my previous diesel also dropped when we hit hilly country.

J-Rooster

Port Orchard, Wa. / Lake Havasu City, Az.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/23/12 01:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bob, I forgot to mention in my first post that some gas coaches are equipped with a Banks set up to increase power. If you care to look go to GaleBanks.com

philand

US

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/24/12 08:50am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have the V-10 in a Damon 02 369. I'm new to this but old to engines (although my experience is with much larger than MH engines) Given the way I use the MH, months of storage, I chose the gasser. Has anyone experianced the problem of long idle periods and low power operation of the diesels in the MH? We used to see oil dilution with low power and fuel contamination with storage. Power levels below about 50% rated, were very damaging.

LVJ58

Las Vegas, Nevada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/24/12 10:22am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

the silverback wrote:

Can't comment on the Ford V10. My Workhorse 8.1 gas engine on a 39 foot MH with the 6 speed trans has very good power. I get 8.6 mpg pulling a 4000 pound toad. I have made it over 10 and 14 % grades in the Rockes where my friends diesel MH's had to unhook their toad or overheated. It is to bad they quite making that engine/trans combination!!!!!

WOW!!! if you get 8.6mpg with a 39' coach pulling a 4k lb toad, I would say that's definitely a keeper..

Good luck and safe travels,

Jim & Sherry Seward
Las Vegas, NV
2000 Residency 3790 V-10 w/tags & Banks System
2003 Suzuki XL/7 toad

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Power in gas engine larger Class A motorhomes
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes