|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Power in gas engine larger Class A motorhomes

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Sully2

Cincinnati

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/21/12 10:03am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

lostdog wrote:

MARKW8 wrote:

I think people like going slow up hill. I would be hard pressed to go past 30' with a gas motor today. Maybe with the discontinued 8.1 from GM.

Mark

Disagree. Not wanting to start a war but the newer Ford V10 engine powers our 37 footer, pulling a Jeep Wrangler, just fine. While in the Smokies I was passing a few 300 HP diesel pushers that were struggling on the longer hills. The motor is really screaming at you while doing so but is built to run like that. Gas motors 10 years ago were a different story though.

How do you know for sure they were 300HP...?????

2000 Country Coach Allure; Cummins ISC 330 HP; 71/2 - 8 MPG regardless
2002 Jeep Liberty

zman-az

Northern AZ

View Profile

Posted: 02/21/12 10:51am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When out on the open flat road you will not notice much of a difference between a 30' vs a 38'. When you get out to the mountain grades you will see a significant difference. As far as an enclosed trailer with the toys and smart car, I would not be surprised if weighed over 5,000 lbs. Those enclosed trailers are heavy.

Have a pretty good 7 mile grade that I have to take whenever I head out of town. I can do 60mph on my 2011 Vista 26P. Put my 4500lb jeep flat towing and I am at about 45mph on the same hill. Not only is it 4500lbs heavier, its also 4wd (spinning two DS's) and 4 extra large offroad tires on the ground. Still have alot of power to pull more weight.

Goldencrazy wrote:

This year in our travels I have seen quite a number of very nice 38 ft Winnebago Adventures in campgrounds. Some are towing some good size vehicles and one I saw today had a large enclosed trailer in which they hauled a smart car and other toys. I believe the engine in the same as mine in my 2012 Vista 30T-Ford F-53 362 hp. Do you have enough power? The engine is great for me but just seems with 8 more feet and full wall slide it may be a little slow. Perhaps mine is over powered.

lostdog

Jacksonville, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/21/12 11:11am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sully2 wrote:

lostdog wrote:

MARKW8 wrote:

I think people like going slow up hill. I would be hard pressed to go past 30' with a gas motor today. Maybe with the discontinued 8.1 from GM.

Mark

Disagree. Not wanting to start a war but the newer Ford V10 engine powers our 37 footer, pulling a Jeep Wrangler, just fine. While in the Smokies I was passing a few 300 HP diesel pushers that were struggling on the longer hills. The motor is really screaming at you while doing so but is built to run like that. Gas motors 10 years ago were a different story though.

Decal on side at rear of coach says "Cummins 300HP".

Chuck n Terri
2011 Georgetown 378TS in FireMist
2013 Wrangler Toad
Rica, the old cat
Max E. Dog, the puppy dog
Kirby, the old dog, passed but not forgotten

Dog Trainer

Richmond Mi.

View Profile

Posted: 02/21/12 11:26am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

lostdog wrote:

Sully2 wrote:

lostdog wrote:

MARKW8 wrote:

Mark

Nest question is how do you know they are struggling. I go up large grades in my 300 HP chugging along in my MH power band of around 2100 rpm. No noise very comfortable and never under 45MPH on a freeway.
By your own admission your motor is screaming but not to worry because it is built to run like that. It will be a cold day before anyone can convince me that a MH with that kind of weight that has to scream at you to get up the hill, is prudent. I'll just putz along for the next 500,000 miles without being screamed at.

93 Airstream 35' Dp
5.9 230 uprated to 300 HP
Allison MD 3060
Shadow 12 yr old Golden Daktari & Lydia Cavalier King Charles (fur Bearing Children) Duchess my Golden daddys little girl at the Rainbow bridge since 4/12

lostdog

Jacksonville, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/21/12 11:45am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dog Trainer wrote:

lostdog wrote:

Sully2 wrote:

lostdog wrote:

MARKW8 wrote:

Mark

Nest question is how do you know they are struggling. I go up large grades in my 300 HP chugging along in my MH power band of around 2100 rpm. No noise very comfortable and never under 45MPH on a freeway.
By your own admission your motor is screaming but not to worry because it is built to run like that. It will be a cold day before anyone can convince me that a MH with that kind of weight that has to scream at you to get up the hill, is prudent. I'll just putz along for the next 500,000 miles without being screamed at.

OK, I give up! Like I said, don't want to start a war. But then...I won't pay for a diesel when I only put 5000 miles per year on it. Nuff said....

J-Rooster

Port Orchard, Wa. / Lake Havasu City, Az.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/21/12 12:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rr2254545 wrote:

Not sure what you saw take for instance 2011 Adventurer Ford V10 37 ft MH has a towing capacity of 5000 lbs.
I do not know any gas Winnebago that has a towing capacity over 5000
X-2, and I have a Chevrolet powered engine (496 CI, 8.1 Vortex) in my Adventurer that I feel is way more responsive in passing and towing than the V-10 Triton, that I owned that was my power source in my Fleetwood. In honesty Ford may have improved on there V-10 Triton since 1999, when I owned my Triton.

J-Rooster

Port Orchard, Wa. / Lake Havasu City, Az.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/21/12 12:27pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sully2 wrote:

lostdog wrote:

MARKW8 wrote:

Mark

Good point Sully! My buddy owns a TS, DP and know where on the outside of that coach does it say it's powered by a 525 H.P. Cummins!

michelb

Ottawa, ON, Canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/22/12 06:17am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't doubt that the newer gas engines are pretty decent but I suspect there's still a world of difference between a gasser and a diesel.

I own a gasser (98 PA with 454 Vortec - don't really know the power but I believe it's over 300HP) and it does the job but having driven a similar year DP (99 with 300HP 7.2 Cat) I can tell you there's a HUGE difference, it's not even comparable (and with the exhaust brake there's also a huge difference going down hills - the 7.2 Cat could pretty much be driven without using the brakes except to come to a complete stop (exhaust brake will slow you down enough to take any offramp, any hill I tried, driving in traffic, etc without having to use the brake pedal). The 7.2 Cat also provided significantly better fuel mileage even if the mh was 6000 lbs more.

For the amount of driving and camping we do, at the same price, I'd rather have a newer gasser than an older DP but I can't deny the significant difference in power train.

Effy

MD

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/22/12 06:35am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Get PLENTY of power out of my Ford v-10. Pulling the toad, up mountains, no matter. It's got plenty. For the miles we put on, and the cost of the unit, I couldn't see spending the money or maintenance, not to mention cost of fuel and the imperceptable MPG for a DP. When I retire I might opt for a DP, but power is not really one of the reasons. I have all the power I need out of my gasser for a whole lot less money.

2013 ACE 29.2

W4MBG

Williamsburg, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/22/12 09:27am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I gotta get me one of those 525hp stickers. That's gotta help getting up those hills..

1999 Winnebago Minnie, 29', Triton V10, mostly stock. So far...

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Power in gas engine larger Class A motorhomes
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS