|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Water Regulators

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 02/21/12 10:48am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DRM796 wrote:

Scott, Camping World has a high flo by Valterra the flows 50 to 55 psi, is that about what your Camco flows. Also do you have a link to someone who sells the better Camco?

Thanks

I think they're one in the same really - the one at CW works fine.
After many years someone finally figured out that the standard regs just didn't do the job!

Scott, Grace and Wesly
2003 Dodge 3500 4x4, 6 speed Cummins (lightly bombed),
2004 Forest River 25RKS many, many mods.
POS H0NDA eu2000i

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 02/21/12 10:50am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ScottG wrote:

Bumpyroad wrote:

DRM796 wrote:

Bumpyroad wrote:

DRM796 wrote:

New to this and was wondering if a water pressure regulator is necessary? If so how do you choose one?

Thanks

necessary YES.
buy a good watts one, not an elcheapo.
bumpy

Have you had bad experiences with elcheapos? Also what do the watts offer that other brands do not?

Thanks

yes I have had trouble with elcheapos in not providing enough flow. didn't ever use one long enough to see if it would fail for pressure however. the watts are whole house regulators.
bumpy

Then you didn't use the High flow model.
For some reason a few people that have bought the Watts regulator get defensive when someone suggests something else.

The better Camco reg. works perfectly for our RV's.

We FT....the first year we tried the 'el-cheapo' restricter sold at CW....two of those. Cheap internals fell apart.

Then we purchased one of the Hi-Flow style, it worked pretty good for awhile then started leaking and inconsistent pressure.
I think the problem was the continuous use we subjected it to.

We then purchased the Watts Regulator and it has worked very well under various conditions & water sources.

We hook-up a brass 'y' at spigot.....a short hose with filter to one side (the other side a hose for general use)......then regulator....then hose to FW.

It doesn't matter to me what type/style of regulator some one uses (or doesn't). I do recommend using a 'regulator'......

For us and our use the Watts has preformed flawlessly for 4 years of continuous use.......and if I should have problems with it it can be completely rebuilt.

DRM796

Eastern Shore of MD

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/21/12 11:10am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you do use something like a watts, what do you set the pressure to?

2012 Wildcat 313RE
2004 Chevy 2500hd crewcab long bed Duramax/Allison

Ron3rd

Upland, CA USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/21/12 03:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DRM796 wrote:

Bumpyroad wrote:

DRM796 wrote:

New to this and was wondering if a water pressure regulator is necessary? If so how do you choose one?

Thanks

necessary YES.
bumpy

Have you had bad experiences with elcheapos? Also what do the watts offer that other brands do not?

Thanks

The El Cheapo's work just fine, I have one and don't ever use it. They're flow reducers and not true pressure regulators like the Watts. If you don't mind the cut in flow, they'll get the job done.

2007 Tundra Crew Max
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Timbrens
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

WWH

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 02/21/12 04:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DRM796 wrote:

We have had a valtera for a few years now and it works pretty well. I set the pressure to 35 psi years ago and have left it alone.

We normally use it on weekend trips but will be living in the fiver for tne next five months. If it fails I will buy a watts but for now it works fine.

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 02/21/12 05:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DRM796 wrote:

Set to 50# static......water source on and all faucets off.

LadyRVer

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 02/21/12 07:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wouldn't leave home without one; however, often leave the campground without one! Learned to keep a spare one in the compartment because when I forget it, it is usually on a Sunday morning when I'm pulling out and no where to buy one that evening when I hookup. Seriously I use the 55 psi as it gives a better water flow inside the RV.

Bumpyroad

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 02/22/12 03:16am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

LadyRVer wrote:

Wouldn't leave home without one; however, often leave the campground without one!

yep, that is why I use a quick connect at the faucet so everything stays together, but I do carry spares for the fitting on the faucet.
bumpy

Cedarhill

Deep South

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/22/12 10:05am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There is no such thing as a pressure regulator that is simply a flow reducer! If a device only reduces the flow, then the pressure on both sides of the device will equalize. When that happens, it will not prevent excessive supply line pressure from bursting the RV plumbing. I use one of the cheap kind and I will guarantee you it does more than reduce flow. I have proven it with a pressure gauge. The one I use reduces the output water pressure to 40psi and it stays that way for at least a day. I don't doubt that more expensive devices will last longer and the ability to set your own pressure is nice but even the cheaper units work as advertized.

Ron3rd wrote:

DRM796 wrote:

Bumpyroad wrote:

DRM796 wrote:

Thanks

necessary YES.
bumpy

Thanks

The El Cheapo's work just fine, I have one and don't ever use it. They're flow reducers and not true pressure regulators like the Watts. If you don't mind the cut in flow, they'll get the job done.

mlts22

Austin, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 02/22/12 10:18am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What I do is use a Y-adapter (because there will always be someone needing to attach a hose), an el cheapo regulator, the RV hose, a filter, then a small length of hose. This way, the filter rests on the ground with little to no stress put on the RV's fill port fitting.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Water Regulators
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS