|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> 50 amp service

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
randrx2

Newport News, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/23/12 01:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

sjcameron83 wrote:

Hello,

Since I'm having electical issues of my own I read this thread and now I'm curious. If I have an older Class C RV that is 30 amp would using a 50 amp electical hook up cause any issue? I reserved a 50 amp slot for a trip in October but now I'm wondering if it will cause an issue after reading the posts.

Thanks,
Samantha

Probably not, but technically it is wrong. Here is why. The 50A breaker on a pedestal is made to protect 50A wire, typically 6AWG. If an excess of 50A is on that wire (on one leg), then the wire could overheat and cause damage. The breaker is there to protect that from happening (i.e. if greater than 50A occurs, the breaker trips).

Now lets say you plug your 30A coach into the 50A pedestal with an adapter. For some reason, you pull greater than 30A on that wire (which is 10AWG). Assume that the breaker inside the coach does not trip for some reason. Now you could possibly damage the 30A cord. This could also occur if you get a fault on your cord between the pedestal breaker and the RV breaker. The fault could pull 45A. Not enough to trip the pedestal breaker, but still enough to damage the cord.

The above scenarios are not likely to happen, but again the concept of using a 50A breaker to protect a 30A cord is "technically" wrong.

Most likely, there will be a pedestal onsite with a 50A receptacle, 30A receptacle and a 20A receptacle. So there should be no worries.

When someone says, "I'm not book smart, I'm street smart." All I hear is, "I'm not real smart, I'm imaginary smart."

sjcameron83

Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/12 01:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

randrx2 wrote:

Probably not, but technically it is wrong. Here is why. The 50A breaker on a pedestal is made to protect 50A wire, typically 6AWG. If an excess of 50A is on that wire (on one leg), then the wire could overheat and cause damage. The breaker is there to protect that from happening (i.e. if greater than 50A occurs, the breaker trips).

Now lets say you plug your 30A coach into the 50A pedestal with an adapter. For some reason, you pull greater than 30A on that wire (which is 10AWG). Assume that the breaker inside the coach does not trip for some reason. Now you could possibly damage the 30A cord. This could also occur if you get a fault on your cord between the pedestal breaker and the RV breaker. The fault could pull 45A. Not enough to trip the pedestal breaker, but still enough to damage the cord.

The above scenarios are not likely to happen, but again the concept of using a 50A breaker to protect a 30A cord is "technically" wrong.

Most likely, there will be a pedestal onsite with a 50A receptacle, 30A receptacle and a 20A receptacle. So there should be no worries.

Thank you! I had the option of 30 amp but I'm so new to this and I'm slowly learning. I thought bigger was better so I went for it. Most Class C's are 30 amp? That's what I got from the thread. I can have them adjust my reservation I'm sure. It's for a dog show. DON'T judge.

Samantha

Maddawgs

central MA

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/12 02:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

sjcameron83 wrote:

Hello,

Since I'm having electical issues of my own I read this thread and now I'm curious. If I have an older Class C RV that is 30 amp would using a 50 amp electical hook up cause any issue? I reserved a 50 amp slot for a trip in October but now I'm wondering if it will cause an issue after reading the posts.

Thanks,
Samantha

Hi Samantha,
If you use a 50 to 30 amp adapter and a Surge Guard http://www.trci.net/products/surge-guard type device you will be fine.
Todd

Todd, Shirley, and the "Maddawgs" min-pins Precious and Buster Brown
2011 Itasca Cambria 30C
2011 Demco KarKaddy 460SS
TST 507 RV TPMS
"if there is anything left when we are gone, then we miscalculated"

randrx2

Newport News, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/24/12 07:08am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

sjcameron83 wrote:

randrx2 wrote:

Thank you! I had the option of 30 amp but I'm so new to this and I'm slowly learning. I thought bigger was better so I went for it. Most Class C's are 30 amp? That's what I got from the thread. I can have them adjust my reservation I'm sure. It's for a dog show. DON'T judge.

Samantha

The reason we bought our first RV was so we could travel with our dogs. So we say we bought the RV for them. I would not worry about it. Stay with the 50A. The sites are typically larger which is nice. Just make sure you buy a 30A to 50A dogbone (yes that is what they are called). Make sure it is a 30A FEMALE to a 50A MALE. There is another one that allows a 50A coach to plug into a 30A receptacle, you don't want that one.

Bumpyroad

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 02/24/12 09:09am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

randrx2 wrote:

Just make sure you buy a 30A to 50A dogbone (yes that is what they are called). Make sure it is a 30A FEMALE to a 50A MALE. There is another one that allows a 50A coach to plug into a 30A receptacle, you don't want that one.

I find some confusion here. a 50A male to a 30 amp female allows a 30 amp coach to plug into a 50 amp receptacle. a 30 amp male to 50 amp female lets you plug a 50 amp coach into a 30 amp outlet.
bumpy

Winnipeg

Los Angeles

View Profile

Posted: 02/25/12 12:29am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well, I am enjoying this discussion, especially the exchange between NewsW and randrx2, thankfully Sandy & Shirley stepping in with some clarification. Sorry NewsW, but your ideas don’t appear to hold up.
Dave n Holly also brings up a good point, there is no such thing as a 50 amp service in a Class C, at least not in a normal one. We could ask the OP to clarify, but I haven’t seen any posts from him since he started this field trip.
More clarification from Big Katuna, CG’s don’t change more for 50 amp hook ups, at least not specifically. I do believe I have been in some where regular sites had 30 amps and premium sites had 50 amps.
Be careful with some advice. As randrx2 correctly points out, the 50amp breaker on the pedestal is made to protect the wire. Adding a 30amp surge protector, as Maddawgs suggests, will not protect your smaller 30amp rated wire, you are actually at risk of damaging both your wire AND the expensive surge protector.
And Bumpyroad is correct; you can buy adaptors that allow you to get into trouble. The bottom line here is that electricity can get you into trouble, damage your equipment and even burn down your motorhome with your dogs inside. The easy solution is to go to a reputable dealer and get them to help you set things up safely.

Bumpyroad

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 02/25/12 04:35am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Winnipeg wrote:

More clarification from Big Katuna, CG’s don’t change more for 50 amp hook ups, at least not specifically.

that is not always the situation that I have found. I have been in a campground that had adjacent sites, one 50 amp and one 30 amp and yes you did pay a premium to get 50 amps. and there was nothing "premium" about the 50 amp site.
bumpy

ksg5000

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 02/25/12 05:50am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

sjcameron83 wrote:

Hello,

Thanks,
Samantha

No problem it's done all the time and they make an adapter for that purpose. The pedestal may have more amps available but that isn't being forced into your rig and your own circuit breakers will prevent your from drawing more than 30 amps.

Kevin

Maddawgs

central MA

View Profile

Posted: 02/26/12 06:14am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Winnipeg wrote:

Well, I am enjoying this discussion, especially the exchange between NewsW and randrx2, thankfully Sandy & Shirley stepping in with some clarification. Sorry NewsW, but your ideas don’t appear to hold up.
Dave n Holly also brings up a good point, there is no such thing as a 50 amp service in a Class C, at least not in a normal one. We could ask the OP to clarify, but I haven’t seen any posts from him since he started this field trip.
More clarification from Big Katuna, CG’s don’t change more for 50 amp hook ups, at least not specifically. I do believe I have been in some where regular sites had 30 amps and premium sites had 50 amps.
Be careful with some advice. As randrx2 correctly points out, the 50amp breaker on the pedestal is made to protect the wire. Adding a 30amp surge protector, as Maddawgs suggests, will not protect your smaller 30amp rated wire, you are actually at risk of damaging both your wire AND the expensive surge protector.
And Bumpyroad is correct; you can buy adaptors that allow you to get into trouble. The bottom line here is that electricity can get you into trouble, damage your equipment and even burn down your motorhome with your dogs inside. The easy solution is to go to a reputable dealer and get them to help you set things up safely.

Hi Winnipeg,
I could be wrong but I think that the surgeguard is a lot more than just a surge protector. And it's main purpose is to sacrifice itself to protect your electrical system in the event of an unhealthy situation from the park pedestal. If it does not read the right line in then it shuts off so in the event that you would have to use a 50/30 adapter you would be protected. I'll gladly spend the 280 or so as insurance for my system.

This 30 amp Surge Guard unit monitors shore power continuously and shuts off when it detects excessive voltage or open neutral conditions that could damage electronic equipment in your coach. The 30 amp portable unit can be moved from coach to coach and does not require internal installation. Additional features include:
34730-useage

Automatic reset on power restoration.
Automatically shuts off the power when the following is present:
Open neutral
Low (132V) Voltage
Caution indicator light indicates:
Miswired pedestal
Reverse polarity
Elevated ground voltage
2 minute 15 second reset delay protects A/C compressor.
Convenient plug disconnect handles.
1050 Joules of power surge protection.
Todd

ASPENMAN

New Mexico

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/26/12 07:43am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Did the OP ever get his question satisfied? Weigh in OP.

BLOGS:
http://rvpainter.blogspot.com
http://art4rvs.blogspot.com
31' Class C NEXUS Phantom 4/4/12
Pressure Pro TPMS
Progressive Industries EMS/Surge

WiFi Ranger Mobile
Cab over entertainment center

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes