|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> 50 amp service

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next
Sponsored By:
Bednarski1

Hemet

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/20/12 08:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I need some good advice.I am in the process of ordering my RV from Nexus and one of the custom options is a 50 amp service. Do I really need to have it?

enblethen

Moses Lake, WA

View Profile

Posted: 02/20/12 08:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Depends on how the rig is setup.
More then one AC unit? Yes, 50 amp
electric element in water heater? yes, 50 amp
Washer/dryer? yes 50 amp
Those would be the two big items that would be benefitted by 50 ampere shore power.

Bud
USAF Retired
Suzuki XL7 pushing Pace Arrow

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 02/20/12 08:29pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Better to have the 50A vs 30A
Two 50A legs supplying power Vs one 30A leg
Balanced load distribution
Cheaper now than major rewire later

Big Katuna

Deland, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/20/12 08:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Another way to look at it is a 50A RV can do everything a 30A RV can do and more. A 30A RV can NOT do everything a 50A coach does.

AC on high, coffemaker going, microwave on, no hair dryer, etc with 30A. With 50A, you can do it all.

My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

j-d

Sunny Florida USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/20/12 09:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That's right.
30A is 3600W that you can use. 50A is 6000W TIMES TWO! 12000W! You can always A-Dapt a 50A coach back to a 30A pedestal and reduce your usage, but no really good way to go up from a 30A coach to take advantage of a 50A pedestal.
We trip the 30A pedestals with our AC and water heater in summer, and our two ceramic heaters with water heater in winter, once we use coffee maker, microwave etc.

If God's your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

Golden_HVAC

Fulltime, CA, USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/20/12 10:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi,

WIth a 30 amp RV, you have to budget your electrical power use, while a 50 amp is run just about everything and not car about tripping the main breaker.

For instance, when making breakfast, you can use the 12 amp microwave, 8-10 amp coffee maker, 8-10 amp toaster, and even an electric skillet all at once. They will have to be on separate circuit breakers, and it can be done in a 50 amp RV, while a 30 amp RV will be limited to only about 25 amps total load. Fine if you are not camping in a humid area, and cook with the air conditioner on. Turn on the 14 amp air conditioner and you can only run the microwave if the electric water heater is off in a 30 amp RV.

Are you planning on getting heat pumps? If you frequently camp in campgrounds that are in the 48 - 65F range, then the heat pump can warm the RV very effectively, for very little electricity. It basically works the reverse as when it is cooling, and brings heat into the RV by cooling the outside air and warming the inside air.

If you have ducted air, then one heat pump usually can supply the required amount of heat to the whole RV. If you opt for a second A/C then the front one in the bedroom will not need to be a heat pump, and actually can be pretty small, say 9,500 Btu's as it will only be cooling the bedroom and bath, anything larger will cycle on and off more frequently, and not work as well at dehumidifying the space. Yet many times the second A/C is 13,500 Btu's and that will work fine, especially if you have the 50 amp service.

30 amps you will need to limit load to about 25 amps to avoid tripping the circuit breaker, and that means about 2,800 watts. 50 amps loaded to 80% capacity is still about 10,000 watts overall, and still being below the safety margin to avoid tripping the main breaker.

Fred.

Bumpyroad

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 02/21/12 04:05am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

how much extra is the service 50 amp? if minimal, get it. just remember in cold weather you will be wrestling around a "fire hose" that won't flex. If I had a 50 amp RV I would probably just hook it up with a 30 amp cord unless I was in the desert in 110 degree heat.
bumpy

* This post was edited 02/21/12 04:18am by Bumpyroad *

bsinmich

Holland, MI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/21/12 04:54am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

enblethen wrote:

Depends on how the rig is setup.
More then one AC unit? Yes, 50 amp
electric element in water heater? yes, 50 amp
Washer/dryer? yes 50 amp
Those would be the two big items that would be benefitted by 50 ampere shore power.

Is this Western Math. I count three items. The 50 amp cord is heavier but not that much. I would hate to go back to a 30 amp coach. One of the things I do remember from college is "A luxury once attained becomes a necessity".

2003 Newmar Mountain Aire, Workhorse W22, 2008 Saturn Vue, Falcon 5250, & US Gear Unified Tow Brake

NewsW

US

View Profile

Posted: 02/21/12 05:12am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The limitation is the output of your genset and / or the on shore plug.

Do you have 50A output there?

If not, you are wasting your money.

Maddawgs

central MA

View Profile

Posted: 02/21/12 05:36am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If it were an option on mine I would have ordered it. I have run two 15k ac units , tv, satellite, and water heater on gas electric all at the same time while plugged into shore power at 30 amps with no problems. Hope this helps you out.
Todd

Todd, Shirley, and the "Maddawgs" min-pins Precious and Buster Brown
2011 Itasca Cambria 30C
2011 Demco KarKaddy 460SS
TST 507 RV TPMS
"if there is anything left when we are gone, then we miscalculated"

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> 50 amp service
Search:   Advanced Search