|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> 50 amp service

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev
Sponsored By:
Lady Fitzgerald

Tempe, AZ, USA, Earth

View Profile

Posted: 02/26/12 09:12am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

NewsW wrote:

The limitation is the output of your genset and / or the on shore plug.

Do you have 50A output there?

If not, you are wasting your money.

Hunh?

Jeannie

Lady Fitzgerald

Tempe, AZ, USA, Earth

View Profile

Posted: 02/26/12 09:32am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ASPENMAN wrote:

keep in mind that if you go to 50amps - you will also have to upgrade to the larger generator. Additionaly most CG's now charge extra for 50amps. To me it's a question of if you can afford the cost of the 50amp upgrade and the cost of the generator upgrade - go for it. Will you really need it??????????
I decided not to do the upgrade on my NEXUS.

Getting a 50A system will not require you to upgrade the generator. You will be just limited to using electricity at the lower rating of the generator. If normally running two A/Cs on a 50A system, you would just have to limit yourself to only one A/C when running a 30A generator.

True, most campgrounds charge more for a 50A site. You don't have to use a 50A site though. You can always use a 50A to 30A dogbone to connect up to the 30A pedestal.

Some RVers with 50A systems also carry a 30A cord so they won't have to wrestle with the 50A cord when they are able to connect to a 30A pedestal. Better quality 50A cords are available that are more flexible in cold weather.

Getting the optional 50A system now will be far less expensive and easier than upgrading later if the OP's power needs should change in the future, such wanting to run more electrical heat instead of burning propane in the winter or adding a second A/C.

ASPENMAN

New Mexico

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/26/12 05:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well if you upgrade to a 50amp service this must mean you need a 50 amp service so of what value would a 4.0 gen be - it won;t support 50 amps.
If you upgrade to 50amps then an upgrade to 5.5 gen is needed. Is it mandatory - NO - is it sensible - YES.

BLOGS:
http://rvpainter.blogspot.com
http://art4rvs.blogspot.com
31' Class C NEXUS Phantom 4/4/12
Pressure Pro TPMS
Progressive Industries EMS/Surge

WiFi Ranger Mobile
Cab over entertainment center

Bumpyroad

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 02/27/12 03:19am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ASPENMAN wrote:

Well if you upgrade to a 50amp service this must mean you need a 50 amp service so of what value would a 4.0 gen be - it won;t support 50 amps.
If you upgrade to 50amps then an upgrade to 5.5 gen is needed. Is it mandatory - NO - is it sensible - YES.

not needed. you can always fire up the 4.0 genset at a rest area to run microwave, run one AC, etc.
bumpy

randrx2

Newport News, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/27/12 08:29am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bumpyroad wrote:

randrx2 wrote:

Just make sure you buy a 30A to 50A dogbone (yes that is what they are called). Make sure it is a 30A FEMALE to a 50A MALE. There is another one that allows a 50A coach to plug into a 30A receptacle, you don't want that one.

I find some confusion here. a 50A male to a 30 amp female allows a 30 amp coach to plug into a 50 amp receptacle. a 30 amp male to 50 amp female lets you plug a 50 amp coach into a 30 amp outlet.
bumpy

That's what I said. She has a 30A coach. What is confusing?

When someone says, "I'm not book smart, I'm street smart." All I hear is, "I'm not real smart, I'm imaginary smart."

ASPENMAN

New Mexico

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/27/12 06:36am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In other words limp by as best you can - makes no sense IMHO - If you are going to do something - do it right - don't cheapen the effort.

Bumpyroad

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 02/27/12 01:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

randrx2 wrote:

Bumpyroad wrote:

randrx2 wrote:

Just make sure you buy a 30A to 50A dogbone (yes that is what they are called). Make sure it is a 30A FEMALE to a 50A MALE. There is another one that allows a 50A coach to plug into a 30A receptacle, you don't want that one.

I find some confusion here. a 50A male to a 30 amp female allows a 30 amp coach to plug into a 50 amp receptacle. a 30 amp male to 50 amp female lets you plug a 50 amp coach into a 30 amp outlet.
bumpy

That's what I said. She has a 30A coach. What is confusing?

MY bad, the OP was considering a 50 amp coach. in which case a 30 male to 50 female would be required.
bumpy

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> 50 amp service
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS