|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
elmorc

SE Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/21/12 08:02am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would like to know if anyone has drove or towed their RV into Chaco Canyon campground and how rough the road was and what time of year.

SteveAE

Bend, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 02/21/12 08:07am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I too look forward to hearing feedback on this question.
Steve

Pangaea Ron

Anacortes, WA, USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/21/12 08:32am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We were there in early October and the road was uncomfortable to drive. I'm glad that we left the MH in Bloomfield ~1.5 hours north and took only the Jeep. I could not find a comfortable speed to drive over the corrugations, sometimes 20 mph was too fast. The road was passable, but not much fun for my wife's bad back.

The CG says that sites are small, but they seemed to be larger than they indicated.

We loved Chaco Canyon, and will do it again when we're in the SW.

2008 Itasca SunCruiser 35L
2014 Honda AWD CR-V EX-L

dqdick

Council Grove, KS

View Profile

Posted: 02/21/12 08:40am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We haven't been there for years, but when we were there last the road was rough for a 4runner by it'self and it looked like a stretch of the Oregon Trial with car parts laying along the road every so often. Take your TV or your Toad first before you haul your rig back there. Well worth the trip, however.

Dick and Joyce
2010 Montana 3665RE
Dodge 2500HD Maxi Cab Laramie Edition
Diego, Norm, & Bitsy

elmorc

SE Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/21/12 09:10am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How much time is needed to see the park we will not be doing the long backcountry hikes do to physical restraints.

DesertHawk

Las Cruces, New Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 02/21/12 12:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you just do the sites along the loop drive, you could perhaps see them all in one day & still have time to see the movie about the place at the visitor center. Try to get an early start & plan on staying late.

What type RV do you have, we have been there twice (years ago) once with a Truck Camper (the route we use then was mostly sandy, but it has been discontinued due to it entering too close to one of the ruins); the last time was via the south by Crownpoint & it was a bugger of a road (more dirt, no pavement), we left via the east to US 550 & it wasn't too bad at the time. From what I have read the road conditions vary often by when it had been graded. The last trip we towed a TT.

They have a number ((505) 786-7014) to call the park, I'd give them a call & inquire about the condition of the road to help make up your mind. I've been wanting to go back with our Scamp, but haven't decided it I wanted to try the road or not. Might just take the pickup & sleep in the truck camper shell. It is neat to be out that way at night as well. Lot of stars...pretty quite as well.

The route into Chaco Culture National Historical Park off US 550 (south of Bloomfield/Farmington) seems to be be better of the routes. Turn off US 550 at CR 7900--3 miles southeast of Nageezi and approximately 50 miles west of Cuba (at mile 112.5). This route is clearly signed from US 550 to the park boundary (21 miles). The route includes 8 miles of paved road (CR 7900) and 13 miles of rough dirt road (CR7950).

Maybe these site will be of help: http://www.farmingtonnm.org/pages/chaco.html

http://www.nps.gov/chcu/index.htm

Alternative-Campsites

Warning: Some of the local roads recommended by map publishers and services using GPS devised to access Chaco are unsafe for passenger cars. Please use our written directions to avoid getting lost or stuck.

Good luck.

* This post was last edited 02/21/12 12:36pm by DesertHawk *   View edit history

DesertHawk- Las Cruces, NM USA
*2015 Lance 1985~Casita de Campo~23' 4" Tongue to Bumper, Dinette Slide
160 watt Solar Panel/GoPower! Solar Controller
*2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab
Long Bed with A.R.E. Molded Fiberglass Topper
*Previously~ 2005 16' Scamp

elmorc

SE Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/21/12 01:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have a 30' class C and tow a custom built VW baja, we are use to rough county roads at home but do not like miles of washboard.

rbtglove

Beavercreek OH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/21/12 02:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We took our 23' TT into the campground Nov 10 and the road was about 20 miles of the worst washboard I've ever seen. Takes a lomg time. I'm still finding things that came loose. Didn't seem to make any real difference how fast we went. Having said this I would do it again, becuase spending a night in the canyon was awesome. We had a site within 50' of the ruins. Better than Mesa Verde and Canyon De chelley, more unspoiled and tons fewer people. There are no hook-ups and take some ant spray you will need it. Only water available is limited to drinking.

Bob/Beavercreek OH
2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ/Trail Lite 8230

DesertHawk

Las Cruces, New Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 02/21/12 03:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As in my earlier post it is 13 miles of rough dirt road (CR7950), as I remember not too much was washboard when we went out that way. The way up from Crownpoint was longer & had more washboard, but even it was not totally washboard. With a C-class, I believe it would be doable. We had a smaller C-class back in the late '90s to 2005, but never took it up there. It should have been an easy drive with it I believe. I believe TTs will bounce around a lot more than a C-class.

As a remember the road, it was often sandy with sections of gravel-like sections which would sometime be washboarded. i don't remember having things thrown around in the TT on the way out, but had some thrown about on the way in. I'd guess maybe 5 miles in total was somewhat washboard, maybe less. But it can depend on what has been done to the road & how long ago it would have been. I remember, it rained while we were there (last trip) and the road out wasn't made 'bad' by it. But some of the washes or arroyos could become bad from rain; like any desert area & shouldn't be tried to cross if water is running in them of course. But this only happen if they get a hard rain, I would think.

The Baja Bug would zip along that road like a hot knife in butter. Watch for cattle on the road at times.

Doing a day trip could be done, but it would be a long day and not as enjoyable as a overnight or two.

Clattertruck

Centennial Colorado

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/22/12 05:39am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have been to Chaco several times since the 1960s. The road is never smooth, but sometimes it is better than others. We have stayed in the campground which is OK . If I am towing a vehicle I prefer to stay in Bloomfield to the north.

The road is at least wider than years ago.

Here are some scenes:

In 1969 I packed 50 pounds of 4x5 view-camera to this point. I could not do that today at 79years old.

Clattertruck
2008 SD F450 Pickup PSD 6.4L CC 4X4 DRW, Lariat Auto trans 4.30 LS, 2013 Lance TT 1885, Toyota 2014 Tundra Crew Max 5.7.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS