RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Batteries??

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Batteries??

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
jauguston

Bellingham, WA

View Profile

Posted: 02/22/12 09:25am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Looking at method 1 in the link and assuming a 100a draw proving or disproving the authors theory that the battery closest to the load contributes twice the amperage as the one on the other end of the string should be very simple to check with a hand held multimeter with a DC amp loop. Put the loop over the jumpers down the string of batteries while drawing 100a or any other amount and do a little math and the truth will be there.

The same test will work for any of the combinations.

Jim

2005 Coachman Sportscoach Elite 402 40'
350hp Cat C-7 w/MP-8
7500w Onan quiet diesel generator
6-Kyocera 130w solar panels SB3024i MPPT controller
Pressure Pro TPMS
1987 Suzuki Samurai tintop Toad w/VW 1.6 turbo diesel power

John Bridge

Houston

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/22/12 11:39am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jauguston wrote:

There is no practical reason to use a selector switch. Just wire them all parallel.

There are two very practical reasons for using a selector switch:

1. I always have a freshly charged battery in reserve when number one winds down. I know how much I have left before running out completely. Nice to have that information when dry camping.

2. When you wire all your batteries together it's advisable to have all similar batteries -- age, type, brand, group. Using a selector switch negates that need. One battery doesn't know what the other(s) is and doesn't care. I suggest that next time you ask a question instead of making a pronouncement.

Semi-"retarred" in 2006. :-) 2008 Newmar Cypress 5th wheel, 2008 Dodge diesel dually to pull it with.

jauguston

Bellingham, WA

View Profile

Posted: 02/22/12 01:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

John,

Advisable by who? Type-yes-don't mix some AGM batteries with lead acid. Age-yes -if there is a wide difference in age. Group and brand-no-Flooded lead acid batteries are a group of 2v cells. The size of that cell doesn't matter each will absorb amp hours according to its size and the name on the case doesn't matter as to how it functions.

You will get more amp-hours of energy out of four 12v batteries connected in parallel than you will get from two discharged then the other two discharged. The lower the current draw on a flooded lead acid battery the higher the amp-hours it will give you. The draw per battery is half as much when all four are paralleled.

If you dry camp without some way to recharge your battery bank (no generator) then there might be some advantage separating them.

Therer are many different ways to manage our 12v systems and they pretty much all get the job done. Some may be a bit more eficient than another but they all keep the lights on (-:

Jim

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Batteries??
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS