RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Tempurpedic king mattress in 75"ish slide

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Tempurpedic king mattress in 75"ish slide

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
Darren and Angie

South Texas

View Profile

Posted: 02/21/12 08:45am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We are looking at buying a new 5th wheel and using it as a full time unit. The front bed slide measures about 75". That holds two small nightstands and a RV king mattress. We have a newer tempurpedic cloud luxe mattress that we REALLY want to use. I know I would need to make the bed platform bigger and that will reduce the walking space in the bedroom. Would like to know if anyone has this type of mattress in their unit and if there were any problems with extra weight, squezzing it into the slide, or any other issues that I should be aware of. The sales staff said there wouldn't be any problems. I decided I should try and get some unbiased opinions.

jalichty

Lander, Wyoming 82520

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/21/12 09:45am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sure would seem to me that you would be adding a bunch of weight. Maybe, if you really like the mattress, you could get someone to cut it down to size rather than taking more room out of the bedroom. I don't know if that would ruin the integrity of the mattress or not but that might be a way to go.

John A. Lichty

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 02/21/12 11:20am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

An RV King mattress measures 72"x80"

The Tempu-Pedic King measures 76"x80" and is 13" high

Going to be a tight fit between the small nightstands plus the 2" overhang on each side.....?

Now if you happen to have the California King.....72"x84" would just need longer support on end.

I think your biggest problem will be the tightness, overhang and height, provided you can get it in to bedroom......need to really take some good measurements. Good luck

We FT in FW that is a Queen....we replaced the junk RV mattress with a Queen Tempur-Pedic. It hangs over end couple of inches....no big deal. And GF can raise bed platform to get to under bed storage but the platform has gas assist lifts.

fishinrgv

NW Indiana for the time being

View Profile

Posted: 02/21/12 03:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When I was living/working full time in my 5er, I put a king size Temperpedic in it. Did it take up most of my walking room around the bed to the closet? Yes. Was it a pain to get in and out of the 5er? ABSOLUTELY. But, I slept better than I ever had in my life. If I had to do all over again, I'd do the same thing. I did not add to the platform of the bed. I simply let the corners or the bed sag a little off of the platform. It did no damage that I can tell. If you have a sink in your bedroom like me, you might have to lift one of the corners at the foot of the bed when bringing in the slide and rest to corner of the mattress on the sink. That is what I had to do as the matress was about 3" to long to close the slide and not have the mattress interfere.

If you think a Temperpdeic sleeps well in a house, wait till you sleep on one in the great outdoors. If I can be of further assistance, please let me know.

Geaux Tigers...1958,2003 (I attended that game,) 2007, football National Champs
91 93 96 97 00 09 CWS Champs

09 Chevy Crew Cab Duramax DRW 4x4
08 Montana 3400RL 10th Anniversary Edition.
04 Harley Davidson Fatboy in LSU colors!!!
12 VW Passat SEL diesel

fishinrgv

NW Indiana for the time being

View Profile

Posted: 02/21/12 03:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

....and yes, it fit under my night stands fine. Tight but fine.

Darren and Angie

South Texas

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/12 09:14am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

thanks for all the opinions. We've decided to not go with the unit that had the smaller slide and will keep looking for a FT fiver that will hold a larger residential mattress. Our mattress is actually 77" because of the pillowtop seams on both sides. It is not that much heavier than a regular king. The bed slide is 75" with me taking out the two night stands. We don't want to always have to force it in and out to change the linens and possibly damage the mattress or the trim on the slide.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Tempurpedic king mattress in 75"ish slide
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS