RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Class C Motorhomes: LIfe span (in hours) for generators

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> LIfe span (in hours) for generators

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Sponsored By:
pnichols

Santa Cruz Mountains

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/24/12 11:41am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

That started me to realizing that most Onans aren't installed as well as they could be by RV makers. Now I have a 2800 running at nearly full load at 56 db(a) 23' from the exhaust. I've only fudged a very little on Onan's installation guide. It's all due to a train of thought that you set moving some years back. Again, thank you!

As part of the improvements you made in your Onan's installation to quiet it, did you change the mounts to something similar to these isolation mounts?:

http://www.avproductsinc.com/index.html

Phil, 2005 E450 Itasca 324V Spirit

Handbasket

Asheville, NC

View Profile

Posted: 02/25/12 01:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No, Phil, I didn't have enough overhead clearance in the compartment, or the patience to sort thru all the possibilities. I made my own 'isolation mounts' out of a sheet of firm rubber and some Home Depot neoprene washers, like so:

The Tiger's Onan is mounted on top of a pair of flat steel straps. The 4 DIY washers go between the generator and the strap at the bolt points. Using the neoprene washers and flat steel washer, I put slightly longer bolts in from the bottom, and only just snugged them... they're held in place by Loctite to keep from crushing the rubber and neoprene.

They made a noticeable difference in interior noise & vibration, and probably a little in exterior noise.

Jim, "Very funny, Scottie. Now beam down my clothes!"

'06 Tiger CX 'C Minus' on a Silverado 2500HD 4x4, 8.1 & Allison (aka 'Loafer's Glory')

NewsW

US

View Profile

Posted: 02/25/12 07:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bionic Man wrote:

Not where that 100 hour number came from but that has not been my experience.

As for generators, I've seen food trucks with over 10,000 hours on a genset.

That is what I am getting from bottom of the line lawn mowers -- 2 or 3 years of life before the engine really loses power and is replaced.

The standard metric is hours X fuel used chart -- the higher the output, the more it eats up life.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> LIfe span (in hours) for generators
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS